Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2014, 05:31 AM   #21
Yako

Default Re: Pyramid #3/63: Infinite Worlds II

As the Sorcery modular ability IS very expensive and "a bad deal", I agree with the reasoning, but as I had a couple of modular ability cases in play, I wanted to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
They're in Powers (-10% each).
Indeed, under Fantasy abilities they are -10% each, as the magical Psi section priced all together as -10%, with the understanding that those were "minor", I was hoping that there might have been a classification, like:

-5% for verbal components that are a few quiet words (you cannot cast if you are gagged or such), akin to what you have to do with a skill of 10 in a standard magic system spell.
-10% for verbal components that are like the skill 9 or lower requirements (firm voice, thus making you obvious and likely betraying your intent)
-5% for gestures for hand movements (again akin to having at least 10 in the spell), which you cannot do while firmly bound, but which will not require too much else.
-10% for big gestures, like full body movement, both hands free or gesturing with a specific implement (akin to slamming your staff into the ground for an elemental storm ability).

Since gestures and words are adequately defined for the standard magic system, I found it a bit of a shame those were not referenced for the limitations.

This pyramid article was one of the first to really do "spells as powers2 (Thaumatology does touch it, but it focuses more on magic as more innate abilities, which is acceptable given that there is a system for spells, even if it has its flaws), thus I hoped it would have some more useful clarifications of how to model the typical drawbacks of spells VS something more innate like Psionic powers (which was really a lot of help when doing spells as powers though).
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #22
Klark

I'm loving this issue so far (especially The Power of Sorcery), but I have a question. The short version is that I really don't get how Lord of Your Own Domain's Temporal Control works. It says the time dilation lasts for however long you concentrate, plus 5 minutes (I'm assuming that's 5 minutes of in-game "real-time"). I've read over the example a couple of times and it seems off though. It says with one level of the enhancement (a x3 time dilation) and 5 minutes of total concentration, the user would experience 15 minutes of subjective time. If the time dilation last for (concentration+5) minutes, wouldn't the subjective time be 30 minutes ((5+5)x3)? If the time spent concentrating is also dilated, then wouldn't the user experience 15 extra minutes of subjective time regardless of if they concentrated for 5 minutes, 5 hours, or even 5 seconds? If that's the case, is Temporal Control only worth it if the character can take their party along with them into the pocket dimension?
Klark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #23
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klark View Post
I'm loving this issue so far (especially The Power of Sorcery), but I have a question. The short version is that I really don't get how Lord of Your Own Domain's Temporal Control works. It says the time dilation lasts for however long you concentrate, plus 5 minutes (I'm assuming that's 5 minutes of in-game "real-time"). I've read over the example a couple of times and it seems off though. It says with one level of the enhancement (a x3 time dilation) and 5 minutes of total concentration, the user would experience 15 minutes of subjective time. If the time dilation last for (concentration+5) minutes, wouldn't the subjective time be 30 minutes ((5+5)x3)? If the time spent concentrating is also dilated, then wouldn't the user experience 15 extra minutes of subjective time regardless of if they concentrated for 5 minutes, 5 hours, or even 5 seconds? If that's the case, is Temporal Control only worth it if the character can take their party along with them into the pocket dimension?
Durations unless specifically noted as such are always "in-game." Each level lets you slow or speed the time within your pocket dimension by a amount equal to the time concentrate x (level looked on on the Speed/Range chart). So level 1 can speed up or slow down time by a factor of 3. If you concentrate for a single second it lasts for 5 minutes x 3 or 15 minutes. As long as you concentrate the multiplier stays in place. So if you concentrate for one hour at level one you get 3 subjective hours, 10 hours equals 30 subjective hours, and so on. When you stop Concentrating it lasts for another 5 minutes x (your level's multiplier). As for if it's worth it, it's fantastic if you're defending your pocket dimension and have the higher level. Enemies are slowed, while allies are unaffected. It's still useful for the solo Jumper as well because at higher levels you can concentrate for a second and get more time.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #24
johndallman
Night Watchman

A strong candidate for ultracog status: Frank Whittle, one of the inventors of the jet engine, who was at Cambridge on a two-year engineering course in 1934-36. The historical Whittle didn't suffer fools at all well, and had many ideas beyond what he could build; an ultracog Whittle would be terrifying.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #25
Klark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
As long as you concentrate the multiplier stays in place. So if you concentrate for one hour at level one you get 3 subjective hours, 10 hours equals 30 subjective hours, and so on.
Yes, but for the one hour that the character concentrates, does he experience three subjective hours of concentration? When he ends concentration, will the character be able to act for a little over two hours of subjective time (3 subjective hours - 1 real hour concentrating + 15 free minutes) or just the fifteen free minutes?

I guess even if it's the latter case, a character that could afford Jumper (Pocket Dimension) and a decent level of Temporal Control could afford at least one level of Compartmentalized Mind as well. And if not, at least two levels of Temporal Control and a decently sized ER pool means the character could keep dilating time indefinitely.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #26
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
When he ends concentration, will the character be able to act for a little over two hours of subjective time (3 subjective hours - 1 real hour concentrating + 15 free minutes)
That's the idea yes. This bugs me because I went through and revised this twice on my own and once during editing. It should have been clear.

Quote:
I guess even if it's the latter case, a character that could afford Jumper (Pocket Dimension) and a decent level of Temporal Control could afford at least one level of Compartmentalized Mind as well. And if not, at least two levels of Temporal Control and a decently sized ER pool means the character could keep dilating time indefinitely.
I suppose he could do that, but as soon as you cease Concentrating the effect ends. I don't know what you'd try to achieve doing the indefinite looping though, your character would be concentrating the entire time. Do keep in mind that Temporal Control is basically a repackaged Control (Time)

Become a Patron!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #27
Klark

That's great to know, thanks! I think it was just the example that threw me, since it just covers the subjective time "earned" from the concentration but not any of the extra 5 pre-dilated minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I suppose he could do that, but as soon as you cease Concentrating the effect ends. I don't know what you'd try to achieve doing the indefinite looping though, your character would be concentrating the entire time.
Those workarounds were for if Temporal Control only gave its users the 15 minutes to act freely regardless of time spent concentrating
Old 01-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #28
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
That's great to know, thanks! I think it was just the example that threw me, since it just covers the subjective time "earned" from the concentration but not any of the extra 5 pre-dilated minutes.
Sure. Really sorry about the confusion. I try to playtest my material before submitting it and I don't like stuff falling through the cracks.

Quote:
Those workarounds were for if Temporal Control only gave its users the 15 minutes to act freely regardless of time spent concentrating
Oh no, really high levels could get into days or weeks - but that would get into the kiloton point range.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #29
Infornific

I'm very impressed by the Sorcery article - it's a nice adaption of Powers to a magic system. Just a few thoughts:

1. It looks like the system would work a lot better with multiplicative modifiers - additive feels overpriced for utility spells. Especially if you're trying to use Afflictions for them.

2. Why does it take two turns of Concentration to cast a spell? I thought it was one turn to switch Alternative Abilities, or none to switch between attacks.

3. With some tweaking this would work very well ("Wizardry") for the magic system from the Fantasy Trip.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:17 AM   #30
Michele

I like Igor-1. It makes me think of Girl Genius-style sparkiness, but moved to another background I love.

Tags
infinite worlds, pyramid 3/63, pyramid issues