Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
Cowrie

Default Help me figure the price for a few homebrew modifiers

I'm designing a cow-based super that produces milk capable of creating various effects on those who drink it. I want the effects for all versions best modeled by Affliction to be very hard to resist, based on a quick contest of the drinker's HT vs. the cow-woman's HT. I considered using Malediction and Based on HT, Own Roll to do this, but I really don't want any of the other stuff Malediction would do. So, what would be a reasonable price for simply making the attack based on a quick contest of HT instead of a regular HT roll? I sort of feel like using an attack maneuver instead of concentrate and neither suffering range penalties nor bypassing DR amounts to a wash and the price should be the same as Malediction plus Based on HT, Own Roll, but I wanted someone else's opinion.

Second, the abilities modeled by Affliction and one of two Innate Attacks are only effective on people who actually drink the milk. While the rules for poisons allow for digestive agents, there's no modifier to make an advantage act as a digestive agent. Since this is a bit more limiting than Blood Agent, would -50% be a fair price for this?

Finally, I want the character to be able to milk herself, store the milk and "deliver" the "attacks" out of combat. I can't find any modifier very comparable with this. The closest I can find is either Universal Follow-Up, except it's not delivered by an attack, or Persistent, except it's not an area effect. Anyone have any idea how to price this?
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Help me figure the price for a few homebrew modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
Finally, I want the character to be able to milk herself, store the milk and "deliver" the "attacks" out of combat. I can't find any modifier very comparable with this. The closest I can find is either Universal Follow-Up, except it's not delivered by an attack, or Persistent, except it's not an area effect. Anyone have any idea how to price this?
For the third one, it sounds either like Preparation Required, or like the limitation that goes with having only so many shots per day. Or maybe both: One to limit the number of shots and one to take time to recharge.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I'm designing a cow-based super that produces milk capable of creating various effects on those who drink it. I want the effects for all versions best modeled by Affliction to be very hard to resist, based on a quick contest of the drinker's HT vs. the cow-woman's HT. I considered using Malediction and Based on HT, Own Roll to do this, but I really don't want any of the other stuff Malediction would do. So, what would be a reasonable price for simply making the attack based on a quick contest of HT instead of a regular HT roll? I sort of feel like using an attack maneuver instead of concentrate and neither suffering range penalties nor bypassing DR amounts to a wash and the price should be the same as Malediction plus Based on HT, Own Roll, but I wanted someone else's opinion.
Requires HT vs. HT roll is worth -20% and turns it into a contest like this. See GURPS Psionic Powers (p. 20) or GURPS Powers (p. 112). For this, Affliction basically works as a Quick Contest of sorts and switching it from making the subject roll against HT to vs. your HT seems like it would be worth the -10% version.

Quote:
Second, the abilities modeled by Affliction and one of two Innate Attacks are only effective on people who actually drink the milk. While the rules for poisons allow for digestive agents, there's no modifier to make an advantage act as a digestive agent. Since this is a bit more limiting than Blood Agent, would -50% be a fair price for this?
I might even say -60% - it's more or less useless outside of combat and Useless Under Stress is worth a similiar -60% as an Accessibility (p. B109)

Quote:
This seems like Delay with a Supernatural Trigger worth +50% or so.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Cowrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
For the third one, it sounds either like Preparation Required, or like the limitation that goes with having only so many shots per day. Or maybe both: One to limit the number of shots and one to take time to recharge.
While I see where you're coming from, this doesn't work for a couple of reasons. For one, I'm limiting the usage of most of these abilities by including Costs Fatigue in all of them, as opposed to Limited Use. Preparation Required doesn't work because the abilities can be used in combat spontaneously as well as out of combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Requires HT vs. HT roll is worth -20% and turns it into a contest like this. See GURPS Psionic Powers (p. 20) or GURPS Powers (p. 112). For this, Affliction basically works as a Quick Contest of sorts and switching it from making the subject roll against HT to vs. your HT seems like it would be worth the -10% version.
Ah, thanks, I overlooked that. Makes these abilities rather cheaper.

Quote:
I might even say -60% - it's more or less useless outside of combat and Useless Under Stress is worth a similiar -60% as an Accessibility (p. B109)
I'd actually argue that considering the last point, it's not much harder to use by deception out of combat than Blood Agent. Tricking someone into drinking a beverage dosed with the milk, for example.

Quote:
This seems like Delay with a Supernatural Trigger worth +50% or so.
Looking at it, triggered delay is actually sort of perfect. Thanks!
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I'd actually argue that considering the last point, it's not much harder to use by deception out of combat than Blood Agent. Tricking someone into drinking a beverage dosed with the milk, for example.
Except you're requiring they digest it - which is a whole other thing. Put another way, if this were a gadget you'd need a reversed roll of IQ vs. Perception for trickery. As a GM I'd call "Must Digest" at least -50% and probably go as high as -60%.

Quote:
Looking at it, triggered delay is actually sort of perfect. Thanks!
Yup.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #6
Donny Brook

A bit of the old moloko plus, me droogies?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:29 AM   #7
Plane

Quote:
While the rules for poisons allow for digestive agents, there's no modifier to make an advantage act as a digestive agent. Since this is a bit more limiting than Blood Agent, would -50% be a fair price for this?
B109 "Sense-Based" (Taste) would normally be an enhancement, but swallowing is certainly a step beyond tasting... if you're picturing someone squirting milk directly into people's mouths at a distance it's probably some kind of attack on a Jaw with people somehow able to "dodge" it by closing their mouth quickly, if it was open to begin with.

People aren't normally forced to swallow milk just because it's squirted into their mouth, it would have to be high enough pressure to overcome a gag reflex and closing power of the esophageal sphincter, which might be some ST contest.

Quote:
I considered using Malediction and Based on HT, Own Roll to do this, but I really don't want any of the other stuff Malediction would do.

I sort of feel like using an attack maneuver instead of concentrate

and neither suffering range penalties nor bypassing DR amounts to a wash
Weaponized (page 19 of Power-Ups 8) turns ranged Maledictions "into a normal, visible, ranged attack" so that would I think replace Concentrate with Attack as the required maneuver. It would also replace the -1/yard with the Speed/Range table as you do for normal ranged attacks.

The downside there though, is it also replaces the quick contest with a one-sided resistance roll, so it couldn't be a contest against the attacker's HT anymore.

Giving them -1 to their resistance roll is +10%/level so you could try "required HT roll" as a limited enhancement, or do "Margin-Based" to make that penalty somehow linked to your HT.

As for DR, Weaponized is worth more as a limitation if DR adds to the resistance roll, so you should take that version. However... given that internal attacks generally ignore non-internal DR, ignoring DR would make sense conceptually and would be imparted by taking sense-based. Stuff that attacks via an enemy's sight/hearing (and I guess taste) is meant to bypass DR, but without the other attachments Malediction comes with.

There's not really any point in adding Malediction to get a Quick Contest only to have Weaponized take away the contest.

The best way to model this might actually be to design a Toxic Attack or Fatigue Attack with "No Wounding" and "Symptoms" so that a "Advantage, Attribute Penalty, Disadvantage, Irritant, and Negated Advantage" enhancment from Affliction happens based upon what fraction of HP or FP you deplete.

Conceptually this would make sense: more milk to affect larger targets. This is the only way I'm aware of to avoid the one-sided HT roll that people get against Affliction.

As for a HT v HT contest your high HT cow can easily win against low HT targets, you can do what Rice wrote above (-20%), but apply it to Innate Attack instead of Affliction. Do this to determine whether damage is applied on a victory.

Quote:
Sorta related... page 72 of GURPS Horror describes
"pour boiling fat down his throat and melt his icy heart. The extra damage from the Vulnerability is applied to the spirit; the host takes only normal boiling-fat damage"
"Vulnerability (Hot Fat x4)"

The way this appears to function is that if you are insubstantial and possessing a body, you can take whatever extra damage a vulnerability affords as long as that damage is ingested.

That or, maybe hot fat in general does triple to the spirit whatever it does to the body, and ingestion is recommended because maybe a Burning Attack (which Hot Fat sounds like) does triple damage similar to an Internal Explosion (B415, counts as attack on vitals, bypasses DR).
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote