Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
caden_varn

Default Extra attacks

I'm creating a human character for a fantasy game, and I'm tying to work out exactly how extra attacks work. All the group is new to GURPS, so we aren't too sure how things work in same cases.

So - standard, I get one melee attack. As an all-out attack, I can do a double attack with -4 to the offhand, costing me my active defence for the turn.
If I take extra attack advantage, I get the offhand attack, still at -4, but keep my active defence.

So, if I take the extra attack advantage, how does all-out attack work? Is it one all-out attack per normal attack (so I could do 2 double attacks for 4 attacks per turn), or is it one all-out attack per turn (so a double attack would get me 3 attacks, or a strong attack is +4 to damage for the primary attack for example).
If it is the former, can I do different all-out attacks on each attack, maybe a double on the primary and a determined on the off-hand?

I can also get extra attacks by taking the dual-weapon attack technique for 5 points. It is only for a single weapon type, and is cinematic so may be banned, but is there any difference between 25 point extra attack and 5 point dual-weapon training when wielding the correct weapon type? Is extra attack also considered cinematic, or is the extra cost enough to make it fit a more realistic campaign?

Second question - off-hand penalty. I can take the ambidexterity adv for 5 points and get rid of the penalty completely, or I can take the off-hand weapon training, also 5 points, for a specific weapon type to get rid of the penalty completely. Is there any extra advantage to the technique to offset the more limited use for the same price?
caden_varn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
SCAR

Default Re: Extra attacks

The text for Extra Attack, B53-54, does cover many of these questions quite specifically.
Human can take one Extra Attack.
B54 has specific notes on Extra Attack with All-Out Attacks and Rapid Strike.

The Off-Hand Technique is pretty much acknowledged as not worth it. Power-Ups 2 introduced the Off-Hand Training Perk which does the same thing for 1 point (per Skill).

I believe, you can replace 1 Attack maneuver with a Dual-Weapon Attack, for which the technique reduces the penalties.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
SCAR

This thread seems to cover Extra Attack and DWA pretty well.

Edit: fixed broken link, managed to get a CR in there!

Last edited by SCAR; 05-28-2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link
Old 05-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Now I wonder how did you arrive at that link (as in, 'ph<br />p').
Old 05-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Here's a fixed version of that link. That is a good thread for Extra Attacks explanation.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Now I wonder how did you arrive at that link (as in, 'ph<br />p').
Posting from my phone can be fiddly. Oops
Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Here's a fixed version of that link. That is a good thread for Extra Attacks explanation.
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by caden_varn View Post
So - standard, I get one melee attack. As an all-out attack, I can do a double attack with -4 to the offhand, costing me my active defence for the turn.
If I take extra attack advantage, I get the offhand attack, still at -4, but keep my active defence.
Just to give you the short version and spare you the links your last sentence is where you start to go wrong.

Regular: 1 attack or 2 attacks with 2 Ready Weapons held in 2 hands if using AOA(Double).

With Extra Attack:1 regular Attack + 1 Extra Attack or AOA(Double) + 1 Extra Attack.

Extra attack is always what it says it is. One extra Attack (per level) added on at the end after all other modified Attacks. It never doubles or multiplies. You pay for one additional attack and that's what you get.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post

Extra attack is always what it says it is. One extra Attack (per level) added on at the end after all other modified Attacks. It never doubles or multiplies. You pay for one additional attack and that's what you get.
I will add one caveat to that.
It is 1 Extra attack for each maneuver per level.
The only time this matters (but its a big one when it applies) is to Altered Time Rate (ATR) which gives you an additional maneuver per turn for each level of ATR. So with ATR 1 you could do two Step And Attacks (for example) and each would get an extra attack bonus.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Bruno

Altered Time rate costs 100 points each level for a pretty good reason :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
caden_varn

Cheers for the info - very helpful!
caden_varn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extra attack