Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #61
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Why short bow instead of long bow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
That's actually interesting. Basic Set defines Hardened DR, but I don't see it used anywhere, even in High-Tech. Perhaps I missed it.
Actively contemplating something more details.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #62
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
That's actually interesting. Basic Set defines Hardened DR, but I don't see it used anywhere, even in High-Tech. Perhaps I missed it.
There are a couple armors in Ultra-Tech that are Hardened. And it's a standard feature on the armor of many Spaceships from that series.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #63
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
There are a couple armors in Ultra-Tech that are Hardened. And it's a standard feature on the armor of many Spaceships from that series.
Yes, but neither tanks nor the ceramic inserts. BTW, are UT armours Hardened or merely Double DR versus This Attack? (I know about SS Hardening, though.)
Old 04-16-2012, 03:38 AM   #64
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Changing the LC of shortbows to be less restricted seems a fair way to increase their use, if that is a goal. Don't forget, you could use shortbows for archery contests.
Note that it's not just about legality. It's broader than that.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #65
chris1982

Coming back to the original question - Has anybody had a char that was using a Shortbow? Successfullly? Against a foe?

For my case I must say not really - They barely hit and inflict a ridiculous small amount of damage. I'd rather settle for the sling...
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #66
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Note that it's not just about legality. It's broader than that.
Nod. The things you can get away with in sports events tend to be significantly illegal in civil society - full contact sports are nigh-on exempt from assault, aggravated assault, and assault with a deadly weapon laws, as long as they conform to "the rules of the game" or "expected failures to comply with the rules of the game".

Heck, entire hockey teams and their coaching staffs should be up for conspiracy to assault/aggravated assault for planning to sic their "enforcer(s)" on another teams enforcer(s) or star player.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #67
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1982 View Post
Coming back to the original question - Has anybody had a char that was using a Shortbow? Successfullly? Against a foe?

For my case I must say not really - They barely hit and inflict a ridiculous small amount of damage. I'd rather settle for the sling...
Ummm...yes but...

mostly non cinematic Fantasy Campaign...GM write-up had the 4 PC's coming from the Same Island with similar backrounds...so a handful of required skills...Staff, BOW, Survival Island, Wealth: Struggling etc...

I had a Short bow in my starting equipment...and have used it occasionally...but It was never worth my time and money to pursue investing in a longbow...one member of the party was/is a Heroic Archer (longbow from the getgo has since upgraded twice)...so I learned Rapier, DWA and a few other things and keep him from being roughed up by rude strangers before he can feather them...

I have hit people with arrows from the Shortbow for damage...but usually only in situations where it is PHYSICALLY impossible to go to HtH range...

Otherwise I usually use my Move of 8 to get up and engage as far away from the archer and the healer/mage as I can manage...so that I can fall back at need...
Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #68
Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Heck, entire hockey teams and their coaching staffs should be up for conspiracy to assault/aggravated assault for planning to sic their "enforcer(s)" on another teams enforcer(s) or star player.
Battery/agg. battery, even. As soon as you punch someone, it crosses the threshold into battery (at least according to the definitions in the jurisdiction I live and work in). Assault is just the believable threat of physical harm.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #69
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Battery/agg. battery, even. As soon as you punch someone, it crosses the threshold into battery (at least according to the definitions in the jurisdiction I live and work in). Assault is just the believable threat of physical harm.
Apparently terminology varies wildly in English speaking countries. In Canada "an assault occurs when a person directly or indirectly applies force intentionally to another person without their consent ... attempts to apply such force, or threatens to do so, without the consent of the other person". Assault includes tapping, pinching, and pushing. . . which at least some of the time is what ends up with a hockey fight.

At least, the kind where one guy ends up with his sweater pulled half over his head, and the two just kind of have handfulls of each others sweaters and try to throw each other around without having their own skates go out from under 'em. You're absolutely correct that it can go straight off the end into "assault causing bodily harm" (local term for "battery") though (and the hockey fights tend more that way than the first).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #70
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Yes, but neither tanks nor the ceramic inserts. BTW, are UT armours Hardened or merely Double DR versus This Attack? (I know about SS Hardening, though.)
They actually say that the Armor is Hardened. Only a couple of them though (the TL12 Warsuit on p. 85, and the Force Shield Bracelet (TL11^) on p. 192).
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow, bows