Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-28-2016, 04:36 AM   #1
mukibear
Banned

Default Powers for twins - full communion combat

I'm working on some special powers for twins. The working assumption is that both twins are PCs. Available advantages start with Special Rapport and work up to Telespeak with Shared Senses (not sure full communion would be helpful in combat). Now, how can this be used in combat? Are there any write ups with similar abilities?

Last edited by mukibear; 07-28-2016 at 04:59 AM.
mukibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:18 AM   #2
Tomsdad

Default Re: Powers for twins - full communion combat

Well for a start I'd give them the Shield wall and teamwork perks.

On a broader scope going with the concept of "everyone's invited" for set ups from "delayed gratification" in Pyramid, I'd likely also allow than to both counter attack and riposte off parries that either of them had triggered.

(no idea how to cost this up, maybe via techniques, but I likely wouldn't bother to cost it)

But specifically at my table I would just allow the two Players as much time as they want to discuss what their characters are doing (in relation to working together) on a second by second basis. Something I don't usually do.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 07-29-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukibear View Post
I'm working on some special powers for twins. The working assumption is that both twins are PCs. Available advantages start with Special Rapport and work up to Telespeak with Shared Senses (not sure full communion would be helpful in combat). Now, how can this be used in combat? Are there any write ups with similar abilities?
So "Wonder Twin Powers Activate!" were one of the things I had in mind when my co-author and I wrote "Team Up!."

What sort of powers are you looking for exactly?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
mukibear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Well for a start I'd give them the Shield wall and teamwork perks.

On a broader scope going with the concept of "everyone's invited" for set ups from "delayed gratification" in Pyramid, I'd likely also allow than to both counter attack and riposte off parries that either of them had triggered.

(no idea how to cost this up, maybe via techniques, but I likely wouldn't bother to cost it)

But specifically at my table I would just allow the two Players as much time as they want to discuss what their characters in are doing (in relation working together) on second by second basis. Something I don't usually do.
Yes, part of this is that players can plan and talk out what they're going to do.

Okay - from the article, Dextro trusts at his opponent's face (-5) and takes an additional -4 for the Set Up. Levo can then follow through with an attack (not at the face) and his opponent is -2 to defend.

Dextro parries, Levo does counter attack, but I'm not sure how riposte. Martial Arts is one book I've never dug into.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
So "Wonder Twin Powers Activate!" were one of the things I had in mind when my co-author and I wrote "Team Up!."

I'm glad you mentioned that. I had an idea for an Elvish fighting style involving an intimately paired (quite literally, they had to consummate a relationship in order to bind the pair magically) wizard and swordsman where each supported the other closely. I might have to check the article out.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
mukibear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post

let me digest that....brb
Old 07-29-2016, 05:06 AM   #7
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukibear View Post
Yes, part of this is that players can plan and talk out what they're going to do.

Okay - from the article, Dextro trusts at his opponent's face (-5) and takes an additional -4 for the Set Up. Levo can then follow through with an attack (not at the face) and his opponent is -2 to defend.

Dextro parries, Levo does counter attack, but I'm not sure how riposte. Martial Arts is one book I've never dug into.
Riposte is basically you take a penalty on your parry again an opponent's attack. That penalty is then applied to your opponents defence* when you then attack back (aka riposte)

Normally the Riposte, has to be with the weapon/limb etc you parried with, but in this case I'd let the other twin get the benefit.

So you have one twin optimised for defence including choice of manoeuvre and defence options (who parries), the other optimised for attack (who ripostes).

It could be pretty powerful, but it does rely on certain things happening

*which particular defence depends on what their previous attack was.

Another tactic would be if the are using team tactics and going at the same time, I'd allow then to both stop-hit at the same time (but of course only the actual twin who was the initial target would be susceptible to being hit)

EDIT: most of the stuff I've mentioned are more useful for two H-t-H fighters working in concert, and it not applicable to a fighter / wizard combo though!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 07-29-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
Tallor

The first thought that came to mind was abilities that only work when twins are close to each other, and abilities with Limitations based on such.

"Mas y Menos, si podemos!"
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
Donny Brook

I would let them use each others' Feints and Evaluates.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #10
Jasonft

Flanking would be interesting against these two.

Attacker 1 is standing behind twin A, twin B is close enough for the link to work, is currently un-engaged, and can clearly see the attacker, but is not close enough to engage the attacker - What happens?

Now what happens if you change a couple of the modifiers in that sentence?
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote