Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
Plane

Default Mage-only Enchanted Items used by Non-Mages?

I was thinking, since Thaumatology had some optional rules for non-mages casting magic in normal mana (I think it was something like x10 the energy cost?) would something like this seem reasonable for items that could normally only be used by mages such as Scrolls or Wand of Fireball?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Mage-only Enchanted Items used by Non-Mages?

You can alter the rules as much as you want, as long as you do not mind the impact The last time that I used standard magic, I allowed nonmage use of magic and magical items at an effective -5 to skill/power (on top of a -5 to effective skill/power for low mana if applicable). I also made high mana give a +5 to effective skill/power, meaning that nonmages would suffer no penalty in high mana areas. If the effective power of magical items fell below 15, they did not function (passive effects did not suffer any modification due to the nature of the user).

With such a system, magical items would need to be Power 20 for activation by a nonmage (power 25 in a low mana area or power 15 for a high mana area). In my experience, it made enchanted items even more treasured and made everyone want to purchase Magery 0. Honestly, Magery 0 is not a bad purchase at 5 CP, and most PCs can afford it without any major sacrifices.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 11-20-2019 at 07:50 AM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:04 AM   #3
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I was thinking, since Thaumatology had some optional rules for non-mages casting magic in normal mana (I think it was something like x10 the energy cost?) would something like this seem reasonable for items that could normally only be used by mages such as Scrolls or Wand of Fireball?
Depends on the reason why they are mage-only. If there's something fundamentally different about mages that serves as a "key," then no. If it's just a question of being able to provide the right amount of power, then yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Honestly, Magery 0 is not a bad purchase at 5 CP, and most PCs can afford it without any major sacrifices.
Even cheaper if you get it with a "Magic Tools Only" Limitation. Having the ability to only use mage-only items, with no spellcasting or detection abilities, is probably worth -60% or even -80%, for a cost of [2] or [1].
Old 11-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Even cheaper if you get it with a "Magic Tools Only" Limitation. Having the ability to only use mage-only items, with no spellcasting or detection abilities, is probably worth -60% or even -80%, for a cost of [2] or [1].
I'd put as -40%, players who would want to take it aren't going to miss not being able to cast spells. It's IMO not more restrictive than only counting as a Mage for a single college.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Agreed. I have found that most players pick up some form of Magery 0 for their characters in magical settings unless they are taking Magical Resistance.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Agreed. I have found that most players pick up some form of Magery 0 for their characters in magical settings unless they are taking Magical Resistance.
Do you know their motives for that? It's never been something that seemed useful to me.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
Plane

Magical Styles 30's "Scroll-Reading" perk mentions "At the GM’s option, even non-mages can have this perk." so maybe that's how I got it in my head that it could be helpful to have some kind of rule for non-mages casting spells from scrolls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Depends on the reason why they are mage-only. If there's something fundamentally different about mages that serves as a "key," then no. If it's just a question of being able to provide the right amount of power, then yes.
Let's say you are using both (T58) "Non-Mages Casting in Lower Mana" (x10 cost) and the suggestion on same page for "Continuous Mana" (non-mages can cast anywhere, but at -6 to skill, similar to the -5 on T123's "Limited Non-Mage Ceremonies" for Path/Book)

Instead of being -6 to spells they know, maybe non-mages using mage-only items lower their effective Power by 6 and the effective cost would be 10x?

This would mean to make mage-only items intended for mages you'd need to build more of the "Power" enchantment to lower FP costs, and make them with high skill (ie 21 mana in normal mana to counter the -6 to meet the minimum 15)

Last edited by Plane; 11-20-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote