Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-24-2018, 07:07 AM   #11
Shadekeep

Default Re: TFTools for GMs and Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
The Limited Publishing License writers of some of these adventures and such you're looking for would probably want experienced TFT players to playtest them. How about a site for volunteer TFT play testers that the writers can contact?
Agreed. I posted a question about this elsewhere, asking if there was a thread or such here in which to solicit playtesters. If the license agreement succeeds I can see the value in a more broad kind of resource thread as well, for people looking for document designers and illustrator and such for their books.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:01 AM   #12
flankspeed

I was hoping that one of the Stretch goals would have been counter trays allowing room for some of the larger, multi-hex figures.

I have no idea if the cost of such custom trays is prohibitive, but if it were sized to fit in the Legacy Edition box and perhaps had a clear cover to place on top to limit spillage, then I’d be a happy camper!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #13
larsdangly

The things that will really give this game some legs in the modern market are setting materials and adventures crafted with TFT's distinctive vibe and rules. I've played a lot of this game and am convinced that there are some significant mistakes waiting to be made in this department because people who are relatively new to the system don't really understand the risks involved in repeated fights to the death; i.e., they funnel the players (or the players funnel themselves) into situations that will inevitably kill the PCs. Groups that are new to the system, or returning after a long hiatus, will really benefit from materials that help them feel out how to play the game as more than a one-shot. The best assurance of that will be to publish setting materials that have been play tested, not just cooked up as a 'white room' exercise.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
kbs666

Speaking as someone who last played Melee and Wizard well over 20 years ago and never played or owned Into the Labyrinth I think at least some other adventures aimed at establishing a feel for both the campaign setting and the feel for the game would be vital and not solo programmed stuff like Death Test but stuff aimed at groups with a GM.
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #15
larsdangly

Here's a familiar example from films of what I'm talking about: The opening sequence from Raiders of the Lost Arc is a terrific dungeon exploration that would happily fill an hour or so of play at the table. What happened?
- Finding and opening a secret entrance
- Encounter with scary spiders (nuisance creature swarm, perhaps poisonous)
- Pit trap
- Complex arrow trap
- Trigger to the rolling ball trap
- Tough pit crossing
- Spike trap (sidekick is now dead...)
- Finale of the rolling ball trap
- Encounter with a bunch of bad guys. An obviously unwinable fight that immediately ends in surrender...followed by daring escape chase!

This is the sort of thing TFT is perfect for. Only a character with a range of abilities and talents could deal with it all, and the events are exciting because the possibility of character death really is around the corner at every turn. And even your 'high level' PC can get trapped by a dozen mooks with small bows and javelins - because a dozen arrows will kill anyone. Plus don't forget TFT supports whips.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #16
malchidael

Maybe I'm just old, but I don't think TFT needs many tools. But, here's what I would like to see.

I'd like a vinyl, rollable, wet-erase play mat, probably about 25"x30" (the size of a flip chart), with 1.5" hexes and appropriate megahexes.

Playing card-sized decks with Fighters and Wizards (separate, of course), with appropriate distributions of points (so more 32-point characters than 38-point characters) to simulate the Fighter table in Death Test/Death Test 2.

Scenario packs - I know this falls more under adventures instead of tools, but packs like Microtactix' Night of the Red Jackal or even their older BarBarians set - basically a series of tactical encounters with pre-generated characters, perhaps some print & fold scenery (or scenery like the old Mordheim game if it's a physical product), et cetera.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:25 PM   #17
DarkPumpkin

I'd like to a see a digital mapping tool to create terrain overlaid with hexes/megahexes for printing and VTT use.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:54 AM   #18
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
I'd like to a see a digital mapping tool to create terrain overlaid with hexes/megahexes for printing and VTT use.
That would be extremely useful, both personally, and to the TFT community at large as this would make it easier to share adventures and maps.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:46 AM   #19
enelsonmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
How about a clear sheet with megahexes marked off to lay over a regular (tactical) map?...
I second this. I have a ton of Paizo’s Pathfinder maps. I would like to reuse them by overlaying a clear hex map on top.
enelsonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:00 AM   #20
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enelsonmo View Post
I second this. I have a ton of Paizo’s Pathfinder maps. I would like to reuse them by overlaying a clear hex map on top.
Somebody Kickstart that puppy! ^_^
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote