Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #1
offsides

Default Spillover fire from automatic road destruction?

When a unit attacks the road in its own hex (automatic destruction per 13.01.3), it it supposed to generate spillover fire against other units in the hex? My reading of the rules infers no, but that's what happened yesterday - I used a GEV to cut the road in the hex it was in, which then rolled and disabled one of the other GEVs in the hex! But since it's not explicit in the rules, I can't tell if it's a bug or just a different interpretation of the rules...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Spillover fire from automatic road destruction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
When a unit attacks the road in its own hex (automatic destruction per 13.01.3), it it supposed to generate spillover fire against other units in the hex? My reading of the rules infers no, but that's what happened yesterday - I used a GEV to cut the road in the hex it was in, which then rolled and disabled one of the other GEVs in the hex! But since it's not explicit in the rules, I can't tell if it's a bug or just a different interpretation of the rules...
That's an interesting edge case. When targeting terrain normally in a different hex, spillover is absolutely a problem. Auto-destroying terrain in the same hex... hmmmmm...

I would say no, because what you are doing is different. If you can't shoot a road in the same hex and not avoid hitting others in the hex, your gunner needs glasses. Sounds like another errata/FAQ topic.

I have to say, one of the best benefits of the PC game has been allowing detailed analysis of edge cases we didn't know were edge cases.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
offsides

As further weight to the argument of no spillover for auto-destruction of roads/rails in the same hex, 13.01.3 specifically says, "The hex itself is not damaged." Given that hexes can be damaged via spillover fire, I think that statement heavily implies that auto-destruction fire should NOT generate a spillover attack on other units in the hex.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I agree. No spillover.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I agree. No spillover.
Thank you for the official ruling. I will now submit a bug report for this.