Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #21
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#36): Digital Mind

So, now that we've had over a dozen replies and are on page 2, I will bring up some of my questions. Especially as, reading the discussion, most of them aren't being cleared up but made more confusing. >.>

Being a Digital Mind seems to be a kind of Unusual Background; if 4e removed the capacity for an Unusual Background to include benefits besides enabling access to other traits... okay. It is possible I am misremembering an old 3e example, or that it was true under 3e but is no longer, that Unusual Backgrounds can include things like that (or be bundled with another Advantage and given a different name).

Even apart from all of that, I'm kind of scratching my head as to why it is worth 5 CP and not a 0 CP feature. Yes, as written the Advantage includes things that make it worth 5 CP; my issue is that it assumes so much for the setting, it ain't generic and universal. I like that Bruno has generalized the trait since that is one part of making it make more sense. The other, I think, would be listing the cost as "Variable", or keep it at 5 but make it crystal clear it is relative to the campaign world. After all, if Digital Minds are the norm or the only ones that have to deal with half the stuff the entry was worried about for analog minds (telepathy, magical spells, or rather equivalents to such things), you're not better off in any way for having a Digital Mind.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Even if there aren't mental powers that plague the meat brain, there still is immunity to Influence Rolls (without the appropriate Empathy trait) and the fact, as I have been saying, that you can be rebooted. These two things are worth points.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:31 AM   #23
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Even if there aren't mental powers that plague the meat brain, there still is immunity to Influence Rolls (without the appropriate Empathy trait)
Digital Mind doesn't provide any immunity to Influence Rolls.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:40 AM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Digital Mind doesn't provide any immunity to Influence Rolls.
It doesn't? What trait is it that means you need Machine Empathy?

Well anyway being able to reboot is still worth points.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:42 AM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
And that means human brains don't need oxygen, calories, or have any metabolic processes whatsoever. Since that's absurd, I tend to ignore that gaming rule.

Sure, machines MAY have all sorts of disadvantages that meat bags have, but those shouldn't be assumed unless stated, especially when they go against nearly all fiction involving robotic characters.
Machine doesn't include Doesn't Breathe or Doesn't Eat or Drink (which it shouldn't since ICEs, for a readily common example, have to breathe, burn fuel and require water for coolant).

"Nearly all fiction" doesn't have software-based robots; this is a relatively recent trend.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:32 AM   #26
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Why do you need additional hardware to box your current instantiation and then later reboot on the same shell?
Well, whether or not you can *turn on* on demand seems like a complex matter outside the mechanics of Digital Mind itself. E.g. some electronic computers can do that, some can't - much like the Machine feature.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:05 AM   #27
Leynok

Quote:

I believe there is no set trait that determines what kind of Empathy is needed against you. Just like there is no Advantage to set it so others need Plant, Spirit or Animal Empathy, what kind works is a 0 point feature.

I'm also not finding anything about rebooting in the Advantages description (only checking Basic here), and the machine Meta Trait gives you the ability to be shut down and restarted later by running out and regaining energy as a 0 point feature, so I'm still not seeing what Digital Mind is supposed to give you, aside from just being an Unusual Background example.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:34 AM   #28
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leynok View Post
I believe there is no set trait that determines what kind of Empathy is needed against you. Just like there is no Advantage to set it so others need Plant, Spirit or Animal Empathy, what kind works is a 0 point feature.
The 0 point feature is that no Empathy is needed against you. Needing Empathy is a defense, and that's why I use Digital mind for it (as per my post above that got lost in some discussion :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:38 AM   #29
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:

Indomitable?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:42 AM   #30
Leynok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The 0 point feature is that no Empathy is needed against you. Needing Empathy is a defense, and that's why I use Digital mind for it (as per my post above that got lost in some discussion :)
Ahh right, I somehow got "Needed" and "Helps" mixed up in my head =p
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, digital mind, week, [basic]