Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
DippyTTO

Default [HT] Ammunition question

Is there any in-game difference between .45 ACP and .45 Auto Rim? This is mainly in regards to the M1917 Revolver (p. HT96). My understanding is that the rimmed cartridges would take less time to reload than the rimless .45 ACP rounds.
DippyTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [HT] Ammunition question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DippyTTO View Post
Is there any in-game difference between .45 ACP and .45 Auto Rim? This is mainly in regards to the M1917 Revolver (p. HT96). My understanding is that the rimmed cartridges would take less time to reload than the rimless .45 ACP rounds.
This depends on whether or not pre-loaded half-moon or full moon clips are available. If they are they will function as speedloaders and make the rimless cartridge load faster.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DippyTTO View Post
No. The rimmed cartridges are actually slower since they can't be used with the half-moon clips developed to use the rimless cartridges in this revolver.

Cheers

HANS
Old 05-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
Litvyak

If you don't have moon clips, the rimmed cartridges will be faster because you can eject the spent cases with one motion of the ejector rod. The rimless ACP rounds would have to be ejected one at a time using a fingernail or similar method (basically needing a Ready Maneuver for each chamber to be emptied).
Old 05-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
If you don't have moon clips, the rimmed cartridges will be faster because you can eject the spent cases with one motion of the ejector rod. The rimless ACP rounds would have to be ejected one at a time using a fingernail or similar method (basically needing a Ready Maneuver for each chamber to be emptied).
Will .45 ACP seat correctly without the clip?
Old 05-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #6
Litvyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Will .45 ACP seat correctly without the clip?
Depends on the gun and whether it has properly cut chambers. I've shot a S&W Model 25 and it worked just fine without moonclips, and my understanding most M1917s (except for some early Colts) will function that way too.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
Depends on the gun and whether it has properly cut chambers. I've shot a S&W Model 25 and it worked just fine without moonclips, and my understanding most M1917s (except for some early Colts) will function that way too.
Functioning or not you still have the issue of when supplying yourself which is easier? .45 ACP and moon clips or .45 Rimmed?

Since .45 ACp is far more common and moon clips may be the cheapest firearm accessory ever I'd go with the .45 ACP.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #8
acrosome

And, really, it's the moon clips that make .45ACP revolvers utterly kewl. Positive extraction and lightning-fast reloads. What's the point without them?
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:19 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
And, really, it's the moon clips that make .45ACP revolvers utterly kewl. Positive extraction and lightning-fast reloads. What's the point without them?
Well, there's the status of both the weapon and the ammo being military surplus that makes them cheap in adition to the moon clips giving superior loading.

Go with the .45 Auto Rim and you mi9ss both. You just end up with performance that's functionally equivalent to a similar revolver in .44 Special (or even Russian).

Tags
.45 acp, high tech, reloading