Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
LadyStormwolfe

Default custom cards

I'm VERY new to the game (we bought it yesterday) but it has already captured my imagination and my husband an i (we play 2 players) enjoy the game immensely. We've even had a few ideas for making our own cards when we're more familiar with the mechanics and can afford the two base games we want to combine.
any ideas on how this could be done, just writing on the card seems a little...dodgy?
LadyStormwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: custom cards

I believe you said in one of the other threads that you were going for the Firefly deck. In this case, there's a set of 20 blank cards available with tGtBatM backs at Warehouse 23 that might work for your custom ones.

For actually printing them, I think some people did have luck actually using a printer to print on the cards, but I'm not sure. Hopefully somebody else can provide some more information on how they've created their custom cards.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
LadyStormwolfe

thank you, yes, that's exactly it.
the rules recommend combining the space munchkin game and the good the bad and the munchkin game...my husband and i looked at each other and immediately said 'Firefly' as it is a space western show.
We're big fans and immediately started bouncing card titles out there and discussing the mechanics of them. We're so very new to this game but it was a lot of fun and it'd be amazing to be able to add our own ideas, i'd just prefer they look good too.

thanks for the heads up on the blank pack, i may yet make use of them...as soon as i figure out how lol.
LadyStormwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
Tross

A friend of mine just wrote down the details of his card on a piece of paper, so, when someone draws a blank card, he just whips out that piece of paper. It's simple, didn't require the use of his printer, and didn't involve writing and drawing on a blank card. He's in the process of creating a treasure card as well, and will likely do the same thing with it.
Tross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
RL

There are older threads in this forum where people shared about what works for printing their own text/artwork on the blank cards they purchased from Warehouse 23. I suggest using Google to search the forums for these posts (you do a regular Google search and add "site:forums.sjgames.com", without the double quotes, to the end of the search).
Old 08-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
LordArach

Just don't use an inkjet printer because of the card laminate. Find a laserjet printer. It works pretty well once you figure out your alignment.

Praise "Bob"!
LordArach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
goodbunny2000

I make a lot of my own cards, and a pen is exactly what I use. I'm a cartoonist, so I use pretty expensive pens and ink, but I've had friend use microns and other disposible artist pens and brushes (couple of bucks each,) and had a pretty decent effect and staying power. Recently I've started using artist markers (letraset/prisma colour) to make coloured ones, and they seem to be holding up fine.

Unfortunately, you can't talk about the content of, or link to custom cards on this forum. Its for understandable legal reasons of course.

There is a Deviant art group where people post custom cards. PM (anyone) for the link.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Flemroid

How do I determine what kind of cards belong on doors and what on treasures? I know the basic (monsters, curses, classes, races etc.) on doors but some special cards I've seen on doors and/or treasures. What would be the determining factor?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Look at existing cards and see which deck has cards more similar to what you want to write. If your card is truly sui generis, then the question I would ask is:

"Is this something that I want everyone to have a shot at finding every turn?" => Door deck
OR
"Is this something that feels more like a reward for doing something cool?" => Treasure deck

It's art, not heuristics.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
Flemroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
It's art, not heuristics.
Good point.. Now I need to think about these works of art