Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Jerander

Default [Basic/Powers] Unreliable DR?

I'm working on a race that has large metal beams protruding at random points from their body. The beams themselves are anywhere from a metal wire to beams 4-5" or more thick. The beams do not get in the way of the races normal functioning, however I image they'd get in the way when someone is trying to hit them. I figured this would be DR. However, due to the sort of random nature of the metal beams combined with the race moving around, sometimes a beam would be in the way, sometimes it wouldn't be. I thought this would be Unreliable. However, Unreliable seems to indicate that you roll once to activate the ability, rather than each time it comes into play (like with DR).

Does my description make sense? How would you build DR that sometimes is in the way, sometimes not, based on each attack?

Thank you,
Jerander.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: [Basic/Powers] Unreliable DR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Does my description make sense? How would you build DR that sometimes is in the way, sometimes not, based on each attack?

Thank you,
Jerander.
The simple way is to decide on a per-attack probability of the struts providing defense, convert it to % and compare to the Accessibility chart in Powers (pg 99). For a simple example, if they protect 2-in-6 times that's 33%, or a -25% limitation.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
The simple way is to decide on a per-attack probability of the struts providing defense, convert it to % and compare to the Accessibility chart in Powers (pg 99). For a simple example, if they protect 2-in-6 times that's 33%, or a -25% limitation.
Ah. Excellent. Thank you.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Anaraxes

Alternative, you could build the ability as variable DR, pricing it at its average value. Unreliable is going to be all or nothing per hit. Variable would be sometimes less, sometimes more, not necessarily sometimes 0 or max. That might fit the image of various sizes of impediments.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Alternative, you could build the ability as variable DR, pricing it at its average value. Unreliable is going to be all or nothing per hit. Variable would be sometimes less, sometimes more, not necessarily sometimes 0 or max. That might fit the image of various sizes of impediments.
That's an excellent idea as well. Would it be allowable to roll randomly to determine at what level the DR worked, rather than letting the character choose? Would there be a limitation value to this?

Thank you,
Jerander.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Anaraxes

I had a random roll per hit in mind, with the price set by the average value. 1d6 DR averages 3.5 points, so charging 18 points is about right. 2d6 average 7, so 35 points.

I could see an argument for the variability being slightly disadvantageous compared to a constant value. If you plan to need a certain level of DR, having more doesn't necessarily help you much, but having less means you might fail in combat, which is usually harsher than winning more easily than expected. The consequences on the downside might not be equal to the consequences on the upside, though the odds of either are the same.

On the other hand, there's the rule of thumb that says disads usually give fewer points than the corresponding advantage costs, because players are good at avoiding situations where their disads come into play, and good at apply their advantages. Ads and disads often don't have symmetric costs. That rule would argue the other way, but it doesn't really apply here, because the player has no choice in the matter. They can choose to fight or not, but once engaged, they can't choose to roll high a lot.

So for simplicity, I'd stick to pricing it by the average DR you get from the roll.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Jerander

Okay, I think I'll put the DR at 1d+3, giving a average of 6.5. That, plus the random chance that doesn't protect at all gives me:
DR 4-9 (Accessibility, "Only blocks attack on a 1 on 1d," -35%; Variable, Random, 1d+3, +0%) [22]
How does that look?

Thank you,
Jerander.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The basic build looks decent. I'd personally fiddle around with it a bit more, but that might end up being more complicated than you want. for example, a cutting attack and most crushing attacks are far more likely to be stopped by random beams than a piercing or impaling attack.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Anaraxes

Looks fine to me.

You're happy with that 1-in-6 chance, meaning that the creature is effectively almost unarmored? (Average of 1 point of DR, but it's really spiky, so it's quite likely the opponents will get good hits in against 0 DR.) They're not going to be tough opponents (at least as far as taking a beating goes). On the bright side, sometimes the attackers will get frustrated by an I-beam getting in their way and just having their attack bounce off.

For speeding up resolution, you might want to roll 2d6 of different colors for the DR, looking for a '1' on the red die and taking DR from the white one. (Or whatever colors/sizes you like.) Might even add two dice to the defense roll, if you've got three colors / sizes to work with.

As a really minor quibble, I'd avoid the phrase "blocks attacks" in the description, because Block is a specific game mechanic that's also involved in combat. Maybe "Affects damage only on a 1" or "Applies only on a 1".)
Old 08-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Looks fine to me.

You're happy with that 1-in-6 chance, meaning that the creature is effectively almost unarmored? (Average of 1 point of DR, but it's really spiky, so it's quite likely the opponents will get good hits in against 0 DR.) They're not going to be tough opponents (at least as far as taking a beating goes). On the bright side, sometimes the attackers will get frustrated by an I-beam getting in their way and just having their attack bounce off.

For speeding up resolution, you might want to roll 2d6 of different colors for the DR, looking for a '1' on the red die and taking DR from the white one. (Or whatever colors/sizes you like.) Might even add two dice to the defense roll, if you've got three colors / sizes to work with.

As a really minor quibble, I'd avoid the phrase "blocks attacks" in the description, because Block is a specific game mechanic that's also involved in combat. Maybe "Affects damage only on a 1" or "Applies only on a 1".)
These things aren't meant to be heavy hitters, though older ones can develop more/larger projections. They're mostly drone workers, though the central intelligence guiding them makes them a little more effective at least with regards to coordination of efforts.

I'll take your suggestion on your wording.

Thank you,
Jerander.