Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-31-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
Mikal300

Default 2.6 sec, for the win

I know in this game the 2.6 sec rule has been stated in reference to annihilation and a few other cards. Does this also apply to cards that would prevent a win.

One of the great things about this game is making the other players think you have no "poof" cards to make the monster leave the combat, ex. Out to lunch or friendship. The player thinks they have won, but then they are robbed of the glory (and winning lvl) by not having a monster to defeat.

This sometimes gets out of hand and we will hold out for 5 to 10 minutes before someone finally plays the "poof" (I don't know if this an impressive show of patience or an embarrassing display of stubbornness).

Has a ruling been made in regards to how long after the last card has been played before a player can claim the monster is defeated and take the treasure(s)/lvl(s)?

Thanks in advance.
Mikal300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: 2.6 sec, for the win

The "reasonable time" rule means that you cannot declare victory in combat without giving other players a reasonable chance to turn that victory into defeat.

That is the only time that rule explicitly applies.

If you declare victory and wait a reasonable time (and while "reasonable" is defined by the group, five minutes is NOT reasonable by any stretch) and no one has played cards to stop you, you can say "OK, I've won the fight" and your opponents can't do anything at that point -- they had their chance when you said you were winning and waited a reasonable time to see what they would do.

Also, as I say every time this comes up, 2.6 seconds is a JOKE. Most people I've played with roll with the joke by doing a "one...two...two point six" slow count that actually takes about five seconds. And for the people who start counting the instant the card hits the table -- stop it. At a *minimum*, your opponents can reasonably ask what the monster's effects and Bad Stuff are and for the combat strengths of both sides. It is NOT reasonable to make them play cards in the dark.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.6, friendship, last card played, out to lunch, poof