Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [DF] New DF game, seeking modules to convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Both are optional. I never use the fodder rule; if I'm going to have many foes who drop easy, I'm going to make them a swarm.
All rules are optional.

I find the DF 2 rules as written to work very well in DF games.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
If I was running DF, I'd be suffering a severe temptation to convert The Lichway to GURPS. But not many people may have a copy of that around...
Oh... nice choice. I've actually got that issue.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:50 AM   #23
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Oh... nice choice. I've actually got that issue.
First RPG magazine I ever bought. And thinking about it, there are details in there that GURPS would handle rather well.

Must... resist... urge to run a 40th anniversary commemorative treatment of it next year...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:53 AM   #24
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
First RPG magazine I ever bought.
I pick up the old ones whenever I see 'em... even though I still haven't read many of them.

Quote:
And thinking about it, there are details in there that GURPS would handle rather well.
Yeah, it's a good adventure, thanks for pointing it out (one of the issues I hadn't gotten around to reading... until you mentioned it).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #25
JMason

Quote:
First RPG magazine I ever bought. And thinking about it, there are details in there that GURPS would handle rather well.

Must... resist... urge to run a 40th anniversary commemorative treatment of it next year...
I think I read somewhere that this was the adventure that introduced Sir Terry Pratchett to D&D? Hm... DF + Discworld + Lichway...
Old 07-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #26
mehrkat

What is the source for the lichway?
Old 07-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #27
Ulairi

Frandor's Keep from HackMaster 5E. It's a great little mini-campaign setting and gives you a lot of information and is super easy to convert.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #28
mhd

The old "Isle of Dread" (X1) is a pretty great sandbox that has a distinct "Lost World" flair and thus is great if you want something slightly different from the faux-medieval flair. You can have a pretty standard hexcrawl/dungeoncrawl with it, but also play up all the different factions of the island: Lizardmen, multiple quasi-Polynesian tribes, the ubiquitous catfolk, cute gliding mammals. Plus dinosaurs!

Add some Action! and you could emphasize the pulp nature of it.

I originally had it planned to serve as a kind of crucible that takes low point cast aways and produces full-fledged heroes, who then enter a more Arabian Nights setting, possibly via a trip to an island that contained White Doom Mountain (the Hackmaster 4 version of White Plume Mountain -- not as much a parody as it seems, that was the basic legal loophole of Hackmater back then to reprint and extend classic adventures).

For a way shorter variant of that, converting N4 "Treasure Hunt" might be a good idea. I think I saw a HERO conversion of that floating around.

In more recent times, I've been running a Ptolus campaign. We're not quite DF (no templates, no default magic), but by now on the same power level. It's a create melting pot of all D&D cliches, and you can go from friendly tavern to lvl 3 of the dungeon while snacking on your leftovers.
(And the book itself should be enough for DR3 torso protection)

And now, I just started Dragonlance, after finding out that no player even read the novels…
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #29
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
I think I read somewhere that this was the adventure that introduced Sir Terry Pratchett to D&D?
At least one blogger says so. Certainly, from what he said in interviews, I'm sure that he ran it at least once - and there's an NPC in there who I'd bet was a partial inspiration for Rincewind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
What is the source for the lichway?
White Dwarf #9, Oct/Nov 1978; reprinted in a "Best of" collection a couple of years later. Unfortunately, those early issues have largely been abandoned by GW, who persist in claiming copyright but nonetheless can't be bothered to try reprinting them. (The state of the rights to the contents is actually very uncertain. Contracts? We didn't need no stinkin' contracts back then.) So any naughty people who, say, post scans online can and probably should be sued by GW, though they barely even bother sending lawyers' letters in practice.

But if you can find a legit copy somewhere, GURPSifying the game mechanics would be pretty easy.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #30
Bruno

Quote:
If I was running DF, I'd be suffering a severe temptation to convert The Lichway to GURPS. But not many people may have a copy of that around...
It's apparently included in Best of White Dwarf Scenarios which might make it easier to get a hold of. Not sure which one (possibly #1?) and of course it's not available on PDF either so it's not going to be easy...
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy