Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #71
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Pyramid #3/72: Alternate Dungeons

So one thing I've been wanted to do for a while now is to see if I could get folks to rate the articles they like the most in Pyramid. I had a little spare time today so I created a survey for this issue and would appreciate if folk spent five or ten minutes and filled it out.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #72
GnomesofZurich

I realize this is a bit of thread-o-mancy, but I just received my copy of this Pyramid from the Kickstarter rewards, and note that the Dragon template (p. 23) applies "No Fine Manipulators" to ST but not DX. Assuming this is a mistake, that gives 24 additional points to play with. As I don't think errata gets issued for Pyramid issues, any thoughts on how they should be distributed?

I'm thinking increase DR 4 (Flexible) to DR 5 (Flexible) and then purchase 45 (instead of 25) points in additional advantages.

One other thing with the template is the interesting 3Eism of Alertness as an optional advantage.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:41 AM   #73
scc

I'd like to know how the Dragon template converts into a normal racial template, sure you probably can't afford much more then bargain Henchman template, but you probably don't need even that.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:46 AM   #74
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I'd like to know how the Dragon template converts into a normal racial template, sure you probably can't afford much more then bargain Henchman template, but you probably don't need even that.
Similar to the Dwarf and Elf "Races as Professions" templates from Pyramid #3/50 (and the Blob and Unknowable Thing templates from the same article as the Dragon), it's race and profession all rolled into one. With the additional points from applying "No Fine Manipulators" to DX and some of the tricks under "Affording Racial Templates" from DF3 you could probably afford a bargain Henchman template, but they would be underwhelming.

Edit: The other thing I'm wondering is that the template has Dropping as an optional skill; how does this interact with No Fine Manipulators? Are they assumed to have sufficient grasping ability to pick up boulders and small opponents to drop, but nothing much smaller than that?

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 11-05-2016 at 03:51 AM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #75
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Edit: The other thing I'm wondering is that the template has Dropping as an optional skill; how does this interact with No Fine Manipulators? Are they assumed to have sufficient grasping ability to pick up boulders and small opponents to drop, but nothing much smaller than that?
I think it's safe to assume they can pick up things using the "squirrel holds a nut between its toes" method. Dogs[1] and cats can, although they can't manipulate things this way.

Like squirrels, they'd need the use of both forelimbs and their teeth/tongue/belly just to turn something around while held in their forepaws; it also would take quite some time rather than the free action a human uses, and if it's smaller than the dragons head, it probably requires a DX check or they waste a bunch of extra time (on a critical failure, they drop it).

[1] We adopted a toy poodle who was a bit of a rescue. She came with the "skin" of an emptied stuffed animal, her only toy. On the first day in our house, my mother and I were sitting at the kitchen table when we saw her little black nose peeking over the top - she was standing on her toes. We ignored her, and the stuffie "skin" started flagging vigorously up and down over the top of the table.
She had it pinned between her forepaws and was standing up on her tippie tip toes to wave the stuffie at us. For some dog-logic reason.
So I figure if a dog with a brain roughly the size of two big cashews can figure that out, a dragon can.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pyramid 3/72, pyramid issues