Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #71
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Roads Not Taken

In which case super-crops is another way to increase population, and another road not taken... though that might require some deep historical divergences. You could probably get somewhere with an earlier columbian exchange.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #72
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
In which case super-crops is another way to increase population, and another road not taken... though that might require some deep historical divergences. You could probably get somewhere with an earlier columbian exchange.
You'd need radially better shipbuilding techniques to go hundreds of years earlier.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #73
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You'd need radially better shipbuilding techniques to go hundreds of years earlier.
Or different geography. Its probably better to just start with a super crop or start the agricultural revolution earlier. Unless you're not on earth, in which case alternate geography is fine.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #74
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Does it need to be a high-odds trip? Because I wouldn't think that crossing the Atlantic would need to be more than just barely safe or reliable to have it happen once in history.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #75
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Does it need to be a high-odds trip? Because I wouldn't think that crossing the Atlantic would need to be more than just barely safe or reliable to have it happen once in history.
For an Earth much like our own it probably needs to be a regular series of trips with some significant movement around in the New World. St Brendan and his curragh shouldn't be nearly enough unless he really did have a Divine Patron. Even Norse longships don't carry much cargo.

Longships to Vinland also seem to have missed maize and I believe you need to go farther south for potatoes. Unless betting on super-long shots you also need significant contact with the indigenous peoples to find out what kind of yields they get from some of their strange new crops.

I'd really want something as good as an early Renaissance caravel and preferably on the southern route on a fairly regular basis.

Tags
divergent technology, technology