Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
the_matrix_walker

Default Modifying ST-Based Damage + Power Blow

When Modifying ST-Based Damage for a Martial Artist with Power Blow, you use their Power Blow Value to calculate your Modifiers, do you not?
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: Modifying ST-Based Damage + Power Blow

I say no because I'm in favor of the more generous version of almost any edge case.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
Gef

Yes, and I think it would be legit to give an Accessibility limitation, on that portion of the cost of the enhancements, that only applies when the Power Blow works. I'd call it -20% for combination of FP requirement and skill roll.

EDIT: Also note that you could have enhancements on only part of the ST-based damage, frex, Armor-Piercing (2) for the first two dice would let a 4d attack penetrate DR 20 on the average roll.

Last edited by Gef; 01-07-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
When Modifying ST-Based Damage for a Martial Artist with Power Blow, you use their Power Blow Value to calculate your Modifiers, do you not?
Yes. If you want to use it with all your attacks you have to find your highest thrust damage and calculate from there. See here.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yes. If you want to use it with all your attacks you have to find your highest thrust damage and calculate from there. See here.
That's what I thought... Ha! I forgot I participated in that discussion...
Old 01-08-2015, 12:19 AM   #6
PK

For the record, though it introduces significant complexity, I agree that it's probably fair to give a reduction for the extra SBDM (Strength-Based Damage Modifiers) that had to be bought for Power Blow. I'd figure out the SBDM cost without Power Blow (let's call that [X]) and then the increase in SBDM cost when adding Power Blow (let's call it [Y]), and then charge the player for [X + (Y*0.8)]. It's a weird way to apply a limitation, but it's going to be more fair than any other method.

(Please note that it is only Power Blow for which I would do this. Not for anything advantage-based, etc. Power Blow is kind of a crappy way to increase your ST, so I can understand the need to address that here.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:03 AM   #7
the_matrix_walker

I suppose you actually have to account for triple with a cinematic martial artist if they learn Flying Leap!
Old 01-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I would not modify the cost of enhancements on ST-based damage to account for Power Blow. Power Blow itself has a cost independent of basic damage output. It costs the same number of points as any other Will/Hard skill – and requires exactly the same amount of time and FP – regardless of ST (whether you're a ST 7 teen ninja or a ST 70 super), whether you have Super-Strength (Supers, p. 35), whether you have Striking ST (any level), and whether you're wielding fists or swinging a superfine nanothorn katana (with bonus damage, corrosion damage, and an armor divisor). It can even amplify force sword damage, which is totally independent of ST (Martial Arts, p. 209). If it can do all this, then I see no good reason to charge points for the damage from the extra ST when it's modified by an enhancement . . . Power Blow isn't exactly fast or efficient, and making it even less attractive doesn't seem right.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I would not modify the cost of enhancements on ST-based damage to account for Power Blow. Power Blow itself has a cost independent of basic damage output. It costs the same number of points as any other Will/Hard skill – and requires exactly the same amount of time and FP – regardless of ST (whether you're a ST 7 teen ninja or a ST 70 super), whether you have Super-Strength (Supers, p. 35), whether you have Striking ST (any level), and whether you're wielding fists or swinging a superfine nanothorn katana (with bonus damage, corrosion damage, and an armor divisor). It can even amplify force sword damage, which is totally independent of ST (Martial Arts, p. 209). If it can do all this, then I see no good reason to charge points for the damage from the extra ST when it's modified by an enhancement . . . Power Blow isn't exactly fast or efficient, and making it even less attractive doesn't seem right.
Cool beans... Welcome to my list of Krommnotes you delightful little post!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #10
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

If Power Blow can multiply force sword damage...

Does that mean Power Blow with a muscle powered weapon should disregard Min STx3 for the purposes of maximum ST based damage?

Tags
enhancement, kromm, kromm answer, martial arts, powers