Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
Kelly Pedersen

Default Question about actual play experience with one of Pee Kitty's enhancements

Specifically, the Retractable enhancement for the Binding advantage? (Found here.)

If you have used it, did you find it reasonably costed at +100%? Was that too high? Too low?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Question about actual play experience with one of Pee Kitty's enhancements

It was about right. I've used it for a long time. I even snuck it into Pyramid (it's used by the Mimic).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
Anthony

Default Re: Question about actual play experience with one of Pee Kitty's enhancements

Greater of binding ST and personal ST seems like odd design; normally you'd think the weakest link is what matters, not the strongest.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
It was about right. I've used it for a long time. I even snuck it into Pyramid (it's used by the Mimic).
Ah, cool, I had missed that it already got into a issue.

My real concern is that at +100%, it's a bit pricey. I'm not sure that the ability to pull someone towards you after you've wrapped them up is really worth twice as much as just the ability to wrap them up. I've already talked to PK about this, and he's feeling the same way (it was him who pointed it out, in fact!), so I'm just trying to get some more general feedback on whether people feel it really is worth that much as an enhancement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Greater of binding ST and personal ST seems like odd design; normally you'd think the weakest link is what matters, not the strongest.
At least some types of Binding make sense to use the higher ST, I think. For example, if you're shooting mobile vines, the vines could "root" themselves, and pull the target towards you more or less under their own power. Using the lower ST is probably a smaller enhancement, though.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Ah, cool, I had missed that it already got into a issue.

My real concern is that at +100%, it's a bit pricey. I'm not sure that the ability to pull someone towards you after you've wrapped them up is really worth twice as much as just the ability to wrap them up. I've already talked to PK about this, and he's feeling the same way (it was him who pointed it out, in fact!), so I'm just trying to get some more general feedback on whether people feel it really is worth that much as an enhancement.
Well, if you use Binding as is it can get ugly - that -4 to DX is no joke. I suppose dropping it to +50% wouldn't be too far a stretch. Honestly, I've used the +100% so long that I hadn't noticed. Seemed good at the time. Of course, I stopped using the normal rules for Binding during Aeon because even a 1 point Binding was making bricks useless.

Become a Patron!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Specifically, the Retractable enhancement for the Binding advantage? (Found here.)

If you have used it, did you find it reasonably costed at +100%? Was that too high? Too low?
Sounds good to me. Binding is tying up your foe. Retractable adds to whole catch and deliver angle to the power. It makes the rescue/protect side of the power much stronger, it's almost like a limited Telekinesis.

Heck the price may be a little low, but the utility of the Retractable enhancement is vast.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
Edges

Quote:
I stopped using the normal rules for Binding during Aeon because even a 1 point Binding was making bricks useless.
What do you use?
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
What do you use?
A Kromm quote from somewhere with a little bit of playtesting. From my house rules file:

Quote:
Binding Can Be Destroyed By High Strength (ST)
If you target’s ST is at least twice your Binding level then they can move normally (they are not rooted in place), they do still suffer the DX penalty (e.g., the -4 to DX rolls) and regardless of their ST. Additionally, targets can roll their thrust damage against the Binding’s HP as a free action (once per binding). If successful, they ignore the Binding’s impediment. If not, they are affected normally and can make a standard roll to break free on their town. This makes it so ST 1,000 targets don't have to spend a turn destroying a Binding with a ST of 1.

Become a Patron!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
Edges

Quote:
A Kromm quote from somewhere with a little bit of playtesting. From my house rules file:
Dig it. :)
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
Bruno

That Krommquote is an extrapolation (of Kromms) based on the rules in Powers about kaijuu forcing their way through DR + Force Field barriers. Not completely out of the ether, although a little obscure.

It still weighs the game in favor of the Binding, overall - but without making it an Immovable Object problem. That means the player who's bought their Binding can still feel pretty good about it - because of the way Thrust damage scales, the victim has to pretty seriously exceed the Binding's ST in order to shrug it off, and the ratio always is favorable of the Binding. The only people who will notice are those who were betting on spending 2 points to stop Godzilla in his tracks.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote