Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
b-dog

Default At what size do giants need the Dependency (Mana) advantage?

I was wondering at what size making giants have the Dependency (Mana) advantage. I was thinking around 8 feet tall but I am not an expert in biomechanics. I would think that much taller than 8 foot tall the character would be largely unplayable being way too slow and awkward to be very fun. To be a spry hill giant I would imagine that the PC would need to have mana to support him, what do you think?

Of course fire giants, frost giants and storm giants would lose their powers so would they recieve an extra -10% for mana?

For instance say an fire giant has DR 30 (fire only) (-40% limited defenses, -10% magical) 75 points.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
Warlockco

Default Re: At what size do giants need the Dependency (Mana) advantage?

Why would Giants need to be Dependent on Mana?
Unless Giants were totally Innately Magical, they wouldn't need to be.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco
Why would Giants need to be Dependent on Mana?
Unless Giants were totally Innately Magical, they wouldn't need to be.
He means that at a certain size giants become physically impossible. If the GM wants them to exist nonetheless, presumably something is overruling the laws of physics in order to keep the giant ambulatory and alive. In a fantasy world, it is most likely that this something would be magic.

Hence the need for mana. In a normal world with normal physics, such giants would suffocate under their own weight.

But it would not happen at 8'. Not at all. Humans have reached 8' and while they might not all have been healthy, they didn't die outside of Normal Mana areas either.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
But it would not happen at 8'. Not at all. Humans have reached 8' and while they might not all have been healthy, they didn't die outside of Normal Mana areas either.
But the typical 8' tall person is having a hard time getting around. He tends to have all sorts of physical problems while say hill giants are running around as though they are in fine health.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
Zorian

I would say any human-like creature bigger than size +1 would be big enough...if you want to go that way with it. Many common things in fantasy violate physics as we know them, so unless you are planning on having areas that don't have the mana levels I would say don't bother. And if you do lots of fantasy creatures would need the limitation. If it's not a disadvantage in the setting ,it's not worth points. Kind of like the whole you can't take G-intolerance if G changes don't happen.
Zorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #6
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorian
I would say any human-like creature bigger than size +1 would be big enough...if you want to go that way with it. Many common things in fantasy violate physics as we know them, so unless you are planning on having areas that don't have the mana levels I would say don't bother. And if you do lots of fantasy creatures would need the limitation. If it's not a disadvantage in the setting ,it's not worth points. Kind of like the whole you can't take G-intolerance if G changes don't happen.
But in DF there are no mana zones and such. The faerie races have mana dependency on thir template. But SM +1 works for me, thanks.

I guess the PC could have sanctity dependency if the giant was made by a god.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #7
Zorian

Question what is DF?

If there are no and low mana areas and you want to go for it. Keep in mind that common fantasy fodder like dragons would need it too.

For those who are wondering I figure the size +1 limit of about 9' is about the limit for a human form without major alterations since people over 8' nearly always have major issues especially with their hearts and it is my understanding that the human ankle starts breaking under the stress of a "normal" proportioned human around 9' ,math wise.

Last edited by Zorian; 11-15-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Zorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:37 AM   #8
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog
But the typical 8' tall person is having a hard time getting around. He tends to have all sorts of physical problems while say hill giants are running around as though they are in fine health.
The physical problems are then bought as their own Disadvantages. The fact remains, 8' tall humans don't die outside Normal Mana areas. In fact, some of them are/were top-level athletes (16.67% of the sample size).
Old 11-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
Icelander

Quote:
For those who are wondering I figure the size +1 limit of about 9' is about the limit for a human form without major alterations since people around 8' nearly always have major issues especially with their hearts and it is my understanding that the human ankle starts breaking under the stress of a "normal" proportioned human around 9' ,math wise.
The tallest human was just under an inch short of 9'. That means that Size Modifiers +2 and over is likely a good rule of thumb (though it depends heavily on the body shape and proportions of the creature in question).
Old 11-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #10
Agemegos

Quote:
Question what is DF?
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is an elegant and finely-crafted series of contraction supplements for GURPS, designed by the inestimable KROMM to simplify the problem, ease the burden, and evade the pitfalls of running D&D-style dungeon crawls using GURPS.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
giants, realistic fantasy