Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Seneschal

Default [MA] "Attack on Titan", wire-swinging martial arts vs. man-eating giants

I haven't seen this topic being brought up, and neither does google, so I thought I'd start a "GURPSify this" experiment.

There's a new, currently-airing anime, Attack on Titan. It's really, really good. The pitch: the last remaining humans go toe-to-toe with man-eating, eerily-human-like giants that destroyed most of the world and forced mankind into a single walled-off city. The titans range from 3 to 15 meters tall, regenerate almost instantly from all damage, require no sustenance and possess only rudimentary intellect. To compete with them, the humans equip weird gas-powered harnesses that shoot out grappling hooks and quickly retract them to propel the wearer through the air at high speed.

Here's a demonstration, and another one, and another one. Beware, the last two contain mild spoilers.

The idea is to swing at high speed next to the nape of the giant's neck and slice it open using very brittle, very sharp high-carbon swords. This prevents them from regenerating and instantly renders them unconscious, and probably dead. Other than the "3D maneuver gear" and the high-grade steel, the humans only possess early TL5/late TL4 technology, including muzzle-loaded cannons and rifles.

So, how would you guys stat any of that in GURPS? Advantages? Equipment + the skills to use them? A martial arts style? What would the mechanics be for propelling yourself sword-first at high speed? How do you stat a titan and its weak spot? Etc. etc.
Seneschal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
TG_Bottousai

Default Re: [MA] "Attack on Titan", wire-swinging martial arts vs. man-eating giants

I'm kinda surprised no one has commented on this yet, and I was wondering something similar after watching AOT recently. I'd probably use a modified version of flight for simplicity's sake, although I could see using some hard/very hard techniques off of acrobatics to do it too. Just a noobs two cents.
TG_Bottousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
dataweaver

Default Re: [MA] "Attack on Titan", wire-swinging martial arts vs. man-eating giants

Item-based Brachiator is involved, I think.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
TG_Bottousai

Nice, I forgot Brachiator existed. Maybe tack Enhanced move (Brachiator Only) onto it? After all they're moving pretty fast. Also what is the ability to essentially make your own ropes for it (gas limiting of course) worth?
TG_Bottousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
Gold & Appel Inc

Meh, based on the samples we've been given I'd go with Flight for this. They really don't seem to be very restricted in their movement as long as there are buildings, trees, etc to latch onto; just needs a Limitation along the lines of Environmental: Within X Yards of High Objects for probably about -20%.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
Seneschal

It could probably be used with the combination of Climbing Line [1], No Nuisance Rolls (Swinging) [1], and Aerobatics-16 (probably augmented by Talent or 3D Spatial Sense - intense training and talent seem to play a big part in maneuver gear use). However, to me they don't seem to be using swinging (gravity and angular momentum) to move; it's more like they sling-shot themselves through the air. Instead of an elastic band, they use wires that are rapidly retracted via gas turbine. If we stat it as Flight, that would be...

Flight (Breakable, DR 2, machine, SM-2, -45%; Can Be Stolen, forceful removal, -10%; Requires Surface, -20%) [10]
Enhanced Move (Air) 2 (Maximum Duration, 10 minutes, cannot reactivate without new gas canister (×2), -100%) [8]

Pretty cheap! But it requires house rules: instead of touching the ground every 5 seconds (as Requires Surface usually entails), you roll a new DX/Aerobatics roll to reattach the grappling spikes (if your skill is 16+, you buy No Nuisance Rolls).

As for their titan-killing martial art...

Skills: Acrobatics,; Aerobatics; Broadsword.
Techniques: Attack From Above; Breakfall (Acrobatics); Evade (Aerobatics); Spinning Strike (Broadsword); Targeted Attack (Broadsword Swing/Neck).
Cinematic Skills: Power Blow; Breaking Blow.
Cinematic Techniques: Dual-Weapon Attack (Broadsword); Flying Lunge (Broadsword).
Perks: Attribute Substitution (Breaking Blow on DX); Attribute Substitution (Power Blow on DX); No Nuisance Rolls (Aerobatics); Off-Hand Training (Broadsword); Special Exercises (Basic Speed); Teamwork; Unusual Training (Dual-Weapon Attack, both attacks must target the same foe).

Optional Traits
Attributes: Improved DX.
Secondary Characteristics: Improved Basic Speed.
Advantages: 3D Spatial Sense; Combat Reflexes; Fearlessness; Fit; Perfect Balance.
Disadvantages: Duty (Kingdom); Guilt Complex; Nightmares; Sense of Duty (Comrades).
Skills: Leadership; Guns (Musket); Handle Animal (Horse); Observation; Riding (Horse); Soldier; Tactics.
Techniques: Cavalry Training (Broadsword); Combat Riding; Hands-Free Riding; Quick Mount (Acrobatics); Reverse Grip (Broadsword); Staying Seated.
Seneschal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
c0matose

Thank you so much for this, not sure how late i am but this is BRILLIANT i love AoT and i LOVE gurps im gonna play this with my friend soon
c0matose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
AOTA

Nice work Seneschal this would be fun to run for an anime convention.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
animé, attack on titan, giants, martial arts, post apocalyptic, spider-man