Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Belial666

Default Unkillable character healing fron nuclear explosion?

If a character with Unkillable 2 suffers a fairly direct hit (within 10 yards) with a guided missile carrying a 10-megaton nuclear warhead, how long would they take to heal?
Belial666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
CraigR

Default Re: Unkillable character healing fron nuclear explosion?

I would think it would take however long it would take them to heal from -10xHP.
Planet Flipside
CraigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Tyneras

(11xHP)/(Healing Rate)

Depends if he has any healing advantages, with Extreme Regeneration, 11 seconds.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Bruno

It depends on how fast the character heals - they heal at the normal rate unless they have an advantage or disadvantage that states otherwise, so they have to roll HT every day to regain a HP.

I'll assume HT 10 and regaining 1 HP every other day below, but you'll have to adjust for your character.

I believe the "tonnage" of a nuclear explosion is relative to an equal weight of TNT in pounds - someone correct me if I've horfed up units.

That means that 10 megatons is 6d * 200 000 000 damage, average of 4200000000 damage :)

So, assuming HT 10 and therefore healing one HP every other day, that means 2*4200000000 = 8400000000 days, or 2301.4 years :)

It gets a LOT faster if he regenerates.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Ts_

Well, you cannot drop below -10xHP, so the excess damage doesn't really matter. However, the radiation will be severe ... And high radiation keeps damaging you, so that you might not recover until the radiation wears off to a level where you take less than 1 injury / day (since that is the rate at which you recover). That might take some time. The highest level of radiation does roughly 24d injury / day opposed to the standard 1 healing / day.

What makes it worse: According to BS:435, you permanently keep 10% of the radiation in your body, which will still be enough to keep you deadly radiated, I would say. So, there might be a problem. On the other hand, since you're body is thoroughly destroyed in the explosion, that rule could most likely be ignored for the primary effect. But you're still lying for 100+ days in a radioactive region ... Wikipedia says, that nuclear fallout from a nuclear bomb decays rather quickly within 3 to 5 weeks to not-that-bad levels. So maybe just add a month or two to the recovery time, hope that your body is then completely destroyed and then start fresh with an uncontaminated body ...

This might need some precise stats to work out if this is any good. Well-balanced radiation might be a cheap way to keep some Unkillable person recovering for a few years because they can't get the rads out of their body ...

Regards
Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Tyneras

Bruno, I think that math only applies to Supernatural Durability, where you can get infinite amounts of negative HP as long as you don't take any from your weakness or -10xHP in a single shot. I'm pretty sure Unkillable 2 stops taking damage at -10xHP.

Ts: Well, at -10xHP, you become an indestructible object. Can you irradiate an indestructible object? I would argue no, and only apply radiation from the irradiated area once regeneration starts, which might still keep him dead until the rads fade.

Last edited by Tyneras; 02-01-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
lexington

The blast of radiation would be either permanently crippling or instantly lethal, depending on if you believe Unkillable 2 protects you from non-injury based causes of death.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
zuldan

hope the person has unaging might be down for awhile. cause i am pretty sure that people dont gain hp back 1/day if there in the negative they need to make HT rolls. hope the character has regeneration.
zuldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuldan View Post
hope the person has unaging might be down for awhile. cause i am pretty sure that people dont gain hp back 1/day if there in the negative they need to make HT rolls. hope the character has regeneration.
Most people have HT10 so they'll recover every other day. Two hundred days to get back to positive HP.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I believe the "tonnage" of a nuclear explosion is relative to an equal weight of TNT in pounds - someone correct me if I've horfed up units.

That means that 10 megatons is 6d * 200 000 000 damage, average of 4200000000 damage :)
A 10 megaton nuke is roughly equivalent to 10 million tons of TNT, but explosive damage doesn't scale linearly with amount of explosive! Spaceships pegs a 10MT nuke at 6dx20,000 cr ex atmospheric blast wave and 8dx10,000 burn ex rad sur radiation pulse.

And there may be a problem with that, too...I remember some question of what the correct relation of damage and energy released is for explosives, but don't remember what was concluded.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 02-02-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: 10 != 20
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote