Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #821
Wicked Lurker

Default Re: Resolved,There is no point to statting up anything that is not a PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
[Quote 3] B14: "10: Average. Most humans get by just fine with a score of 10."
Just technically this doesn't mean most humans do have a score of 10 though.. right? (but that is more of a nitpick)

Wasn't 10 the average for healthy men ready for military service or something?

Otherwise: Women have less ST than men, children less ST than adults, elderly probably lower DX, ST. If you put these demographics together, a score of 10 being average would mean most men are stronger than ST10.

☼Online courses and free stuff on GM-ing☼
Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #822
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
But even if we were to compare only those NPCs who appear on multiple occasions, that still doesn't make equal point costs anything close to equal utility. In the case of PCs, that is somewhat ameliorated by the fact that a PC will generally only select a trait if he foresees some use for it. For NPCs built to be as realistic as possible, many expensive traits will be irrelevant to the character.
I don't think my players mostly do things that way. Certainly in Whispers we saw skill rolls against Cooking, Artist, Musical Instrument (Saxophone), and Professional Skill (Parenting), among others. Of course, the fact that those rolls were made could be taken as saying that the skills had "utility," but on the other hand, I allowed those rolls and fit them into subplots because the players had built characters who were good at doing those things.

In any case, I find total point cost somewhat useful for NPC design, not as a precise measure of combat capability, but as a rough estimate of narrative weight. If it doesn't work for you there's no reason you should use it. But there's also no reason you should discount the statements of people whose experience is different from yours.

Bill Stoddard
Old 01-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #823
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Lurker View Post
Wasn't 10 the average for healthy men ready for military service or something?
Not in this edition, and considering that the whole nature of ST has changed between the editions, I would recommend tossing out 3e ideas about ST distribution and how its intended.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #824
Anthony

Quote:
I don't know how you read those statements, but here is how I read them. Most humans (rather than Orcs or Elves) have attributes that fall between 8 and 12 [Quote 2]. Those are your general limiters. Within that span, not only is 10 the human average [Quote 1], but most humans also have a scores of 10 [Quote 3].
I interpret that as '10 is adequate for most people', not 'most people have a 10'. I don't actually have a problem with most people having a 10, it just requires a standard deviation of 1.47 or lower. If you're curious about what that means:
11+: 1/4
12+: 1/11.5
13+: 1/48
14+: 1/300
15+: 1/3,000
16+: 1/45,000
17+: 1/1,000,000
18+: 1/38,000,000
19+: 1/2,160,000,000 (3 alive)
20+: 1/194,000,000,000
Old 01-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #825
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The Bell curve that runs so much of the game suggests that in while 10 would be the most common numerical statistic, a majority of people would have stats other than 10 in one or more of their characteristics.
This-does-not-follow - how does the success resolution mechanic have anything to do with the distribution of scores those successes are tested against? A bell curve on success rolls does not extend to a bell curve on attributes, or skills.

Especially skills, due to the big gap between minimally trained (has a point in the skill) and untrained (running off of default, and usually about 4 below the minimally trained point). Since skills are so strange in distribution, and are what get tested against in most situations rather than raw generic attributes, it's extremely hard form to extrapolate that the 3d6 curve describes distribution of base attributes at all.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #826
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
i don't read the phrase "8-12 range" as being equivalent to "8-12 average."
(8+9+10+11+12)/5 = 10
Old 01-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #827
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
(8+9+10+11+12)/5 = 10
Yes, but then you are assuming a non-skewed distribution. There's nothing in the RAW that warrants such an assumption.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #828
Anthony

Quote:
(8+9+10+11+12)/5 = 10
'8-12 average', to be interpreted sensibly, has to be referring to the mode, not the mean.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #829
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
'8-12 average', to be interpreted sensibly, has to be referring to the mode, not the mean.
Sure, I was just doing a basic example of how 10 can be average without everyone having 10s.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #830
Bruno

Quote:
(8+9+10+11+12)/5 = 10

(8 + 9 + 9 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 11 + 11 + 12)/11 = 10 as well. Average implies nothing about distribution.
Closed Thread

Tags
crunchy, faq, no-wing, wing