Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2020, 12:53 AM   #1
Bullettop

Default Vehicle move

I was reading vehicle stats and I just want to make sure I am reading them correctly. If a vehicle has a move of 2/55 does that mean it accelerates at 2 yds/second? That would mean a vehicle with the above move profile would have a 0-60mph of 15 seconds and a top speed of 110 mph. Am I reading this right?
Bullettop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:12 AM   #2
Kale

Default Re: Vehicle move

You are correct.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
Bullettop

I thought I had read that right. So, am I missing something like enhanced move or some other advantage inherent to vehicles? Many of the ground vehicles in GURPS 4e seem to have rather sluggish acceleration. Maybe it’s a TL thing. Oh, and thank you all for responding to my post.
Bullettop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullettop View Post
I thought I had read that right. So, am I missing something like enhanced move or some other advantage inherent to vehicles? Many of the ground vehicles in GURPS 4e seem to have rather sluggish acceleration. Maybe it’s a TL thing. Oh, and thank you all for responding to my post.
I don't think you're missing it as such, but having move 2/55, if you built out a character sheet, would entail having Enhanced Move 27x (which isn't a readily available value, being between 4.5 = 24x and 5 = 32x). That doesn't really mean anything that just saying move 2/55 doesn't already, though.

I wouldn't have called ~15 second 0-60 terribly slow. And remember that there's a resolution limit - if you go up to move 3 that's under 10 seconds, which seems to be relatively serious automotive performance. (You can get faster, sure, but a lot of machines don't achieve that.)
Old 04-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I don't think you're missing it as such, but having move 2/55, if you built out a character sheet, would entail having Enhanced Move 27x (which isn't a readily available value, being between 4.5 = 24x and 5 = 32x). That doesn't really mean anything that just saying move 2/55 doesn't already, though.
That's also a serious point crock. For building vehicles as characters, I'd take Basic Move and EM as efficiently as normal, then put a limitation on Basic Move so it 'acts' as EM.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
Say, it isn't that bad!

Maybe Enhanced Move could be broken out into Partial Enhanced Move?
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #7
Rupert

Quote:
It's perfectly available - Enhanced Move (B52) explictly allows you to take less than the maximum speed your purchase allows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enhanced Move
You can always choose to accept a slightly lower top speed if you want your speed to match that of a real-world or fictional creature or vehicle with a known top speed. This does not give you back any points.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
That's also a serious point crock. For building vehicles as characters, I'd take Basic Move and EM as efficiently as normal, then put a limitation on Basic Move so it 'acts' as EM.
...What's abnormally efficient? It's just low Basic Move plus Enhanced Movement.

Buying Basic Move down to very low values and then buying Enhanced Move is an anti-point crock. Going from Basic Move 2 and EM X to Basic Move 4 and EM X-1 would give you [10] more points and be much superior besides. Going from Basic Move 4 to Basic Move 8 and dropping an EM level is net zero points and again a huge mobility improvement!
Old 04-17-2020, 10:13 PM   #9
kirbwarrior

Quote:
...What's abnormally efficient? It's just low Basic Move plus Enhanced Movement.

Buying Basic Move down to very low values and then buying Enhanced Move is an anti-point crock. Going from Basic Move 2 and EM X to Basic Move 4 and EM X-1 would give you [10] more points and be much superior besides. Going from Basic Move 4 to Basic Move 8 and dropping an EM level is net zero points and again a huge mobility improvement!
Ah, I've only heard point crock as a negative thing.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:29 PM   #10
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Ah, I've only heard point crock as a negative thing.
It's a negative connotation, certainly, but as far as I know it's exclusively to refer to something that has an inappropriately favorable point cost for its effect, not something that has an inappropriately unfavorable point cost.

(Also, I can't get Google to find examples that aren't GURPS, which seems odd.)