Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
edk926

Default Your alternatives for the Recover Energy "spell"

So the Recover Energy spell doesn't feel like a spell at all. I mean you don't roll against it at all. As is, I'd call it an advantage. I saw during searching that long ago there was a thread that has player alternatives for it. I was wondering what people have done with the spell or have done instead of the spell.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Your alternatives for the Recover Energy "spell"

Use Threshold Magery with a high Threshold of 30-50 and a very high Recovery Rate of 45-75. For a lower powered game, I might go with a Threshold of 15 and a Recovery Rate of 15, with Recovery happening every 6 hours at dawn, noon, dusk, and midnight.

Getting rid of the extremely weird Recover Energy spell is another benefit of Threshold magery over fatigue magery in my opinion.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
So the Recover Energy spell doesn't feel like a spell at all. I mean you don't roll against it at all. As is, I'd call it an advantage. I saw during searching that long ago there was a thread that has player alternatives for it. I was wondering what people have done with the spell or have done instead of the spell.
One time, I wanted to run a game without Recover Energy at all. Normal rest would be the only way to recover FP spent on spells. People griped so much about the idea that it just hid and never dared stick its head out again.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

I got rid of Recover Energy a long time ago myself. If I use standard mage, I allow mages to recover spent FP with Breathe Control (it only says that it cannot be combined with magical FP recovery abilities, not that it cannot be used to recover FP spent on spells). It forces mages to broaden their capabilities some and allows mages in low mana regions to be more functional.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
scc

Your right in that Recover Energy probably isn't a spell, but classing it as one is probably the simplest way to handle it. Realistically it's probably a skill but one usable by Mages only, so calling it a spell is good enough.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
hal

If someone were to say "Hey Hal, let's fix this spell" I'd probably go this route:

Spell costs 1 energy to cast, and lasts 1 hour.

Roll versus skill - on a normal success, caster recovers fatigue at normal rate and gains 2 extra fatigue at the end of the spell. Thus, at the normal rate of recovery, 1 point per 10 minutes, an hour's worth of recovery is worth 8 fatigue. Contrast this with normal rules, and an hour's rest would normally get back 12 energy, not 6.

A success by 3 roll, results in gaining energy back at twice normal. Ie, 2 every 10 minutes (not one every 5 minutes!). This grants the normal bonus as written.

A crit success will result in gaining energy at 3 times normal. Ie 3 every 10 minutes.

As for failures? No energy above that normally gained through resting.

A crit failure?

Hmm, here's a chance to be creative. Instead of regaining energy normally, caster loses DOUBLE energy fatigue for the remainder of 24 hours. Or how about "Caster is possessed by a demon who invades his sleep every time he tries to sleep - caster gets NO rest nightly and will eventually die"

(Note: I might make it a "Roll a Save vs WIll: failure means possession, success means the demon hangs about and siphons off the extra fatigue for the next 24 hours)

Placing the sleeper in a pentagram won't work, because the demon is inside of him. He might not even be ABLE to pass through a pentagram. Subjecting the caster to the spell PEACEFUL SLEEP might do the trick, but then he'd be subject to nightmares again every night the spell is not cast.

It would require an exorcism to remove that offensive possession - which necessitates an adventure to help the poor schlep.

As an implication? Casting the Recover Energy spell inside a pentagram is the only way to avoid the possibility of being possessed, or temporarily possessed.

Hmmm. I might actively use this...

:)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Generally, my "alternative" involves calling it a skill that magery adds to. (as opposed to a spell with prereqs covered by ritual magic skills).

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #8
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Generally, my "alternative" involves calling it a skill that magery adds to. (as opposed to a spell with prereqs covered by ritual magic skills).
Honestly I think it's a learnable advantage. After all it's not like skill level *matters*, you never roll against it. It's basically a variant of Fit - something like Fit (Cosmic (works on fatigue lost to magic too) +50%, Magic -10%, Not Hard to Kill or Subdue -50%) If your "skill" isn't high enough for it to work in Low mana, then I suppose you'd bump Magic to a slightly higher limitation.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Honestly I think it's a learnable advantage. After all it's not like skill level *matters*, you never roll against it. It's basically a variant of Fit - something like Fit (Cosmic (works on fatigue lost to magic too) +50%, Magic -10%, Not Hard to Kill or Subdue -50%) If your "skill" isn't high enough for it to work in Low mana, then I suppose you'd bump Magic to a slightly higher limitation.
Considering it's not blockable in the way most spells end being blockable... I think -10% is spot on.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote