Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #51
Skarg

Default Re: Missile Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Here is an idea.

Part of why missile spells are used a lot more than thrown spells is their delivery mechanism. Compare a missile spell shot at 2 MHx range has no DX loss due to range while a thrown spell cannot go 1 hex at no loss.

What if there were less effect thrown spells that could travel like missile spells. (Example, instead of Sleep, it is Hestitate. Target pauses for a single turn of no action.)

Or, what if thrown spells worked like creation spell range. That is, with no DX penalty for range, but only a maximum range of 1 MHx.

Another approach would be to add small limitations to missile spells. Since thrown spells are great at short range, why not say missile spells cannot be used against an adjacent foe or a foe in the same hex. Then every wizard needs to have a fallback plan for when someone gets in his/her face. This makes spells like hammertouch, blast, shock shield, freeze, sleep and rope more viable. Even Drop Weapon.
Thrown spells are already very powerful. Reducing their range penalties will make them much more so. Often the only thing stopping them from taking anyone out of combat is that the caster might not make his roll, generally thanks to the range penalty. One thrown spell is also Aid, which can be used to add DX. I've seen several wizardly battles won by having some people aid someone with ST and DX, who then takes out enemy wizards and heores with thrown spells at range.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #52
KevinJ

Default Re: Missile Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I am also reminded that in the first edition, a Rod could hold up to 20ST and could unleash it all as a single fireball.

Poof.
Then then take 20 days to recharge to full ST.

Like using Mana from your Staff, but self charging.

I think some people are only looking at the fully charged staff and not the fact that owner then has to spent fST to recharge it. It's not a GURPS mana stone that rercharges on it's own, though that is still only 1 Mana per day.

The Adept in my game rarely casts more than a 4fST missile spells because putting all your eggs in one basket is just begging for that 18.