Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #181
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
On the other hand. If being immortal is as simple as casting a 37 energy spell every six months than anyone with a decent path of body skill is likely to be very long lived and your world will have a very high number of powerful wizards and witchs running around.
Yeah, this is where things in RPM get a bit dicey. A person not aging for 6 months means practically nothing. A person not aging for 6 years might cause some minor comments, but is easily excused away. A person not aging for 60 years results in pitchforks and torches or offerings of worship.

Similarly, healing 2d in a few seconds (an 11 energy spell) at TL 8 is noticeable but not world-shattering - you'll on average manage to negate a Major Wound. Healing 20d in a few minutes (by casting that 11 energy spell 10 times in succession) is a different story - you'll take someone from death's doorstep to fully healed.

In either case, if the GM has a problem, some sort of diminishing returns is needed. In the former, you can say, sure, a spell to not age for a given amount of time works as advertised for that time period, but if you keep recasting the same spell everything beyond the first duration is a temporary effect - a character who has maintained this spell for 20 years will instantly age 19 years and 6 months if it is dispelled or runs out without renewing it. If you want it to actually stop aging outright, you have to keep increasing the Duration cost - so you need to pay for a year's worth for the second 6-month period, 1.5 year's for the third, 2 years for the fourth, and so on. If you later let the spell expire (or it's dispelled) and want to recast it again, the actual duration of the new spell is equal to the Duration you pay for minus however long you've spent Unaging.

For example, we've got a witch who decides to cast the 37 energy spell to halt aging for 6 months. When the Duration is up, maintaining it for another 6 months costs 22 energy (1 year) instead of 16. The next two castings are 23 energy (2 years), the next two are 24 (3 years), and so on. Let's say she maintains it for 5 years, then it gets dispelled. She's still 5 years younger than she should be, but she'd rather like to go back to not aging, so she needs to recast. She decides to cast a version that lasts for a decade, costing 52 energy. As she's already spent 5 years Unaging, however, she only gets 5 years out of the spell, and needs to recast, at ever-increasing cost, every 10 years. If she had instead opted to not increase cost each time the duration ran out but just spend 16 energy each time, then when her spell was dispelled at the 5 year mark she would have instantly aged 4.5 years.

Quote:
Maintain's Immortality:
Probably just a Quirk - "Always tries to have one particular spell activated." A [-5] Obsession might also fit, but that's probably the limit of it.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #182
Kalzazz

I tend to assume for my settings that very very few competent casters ever die of old age
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #183
ajardoor

I think it is explictly stated in the RPM book that wiping out a mage's mana reserve is a Greater effect - presumably, the trade off is that you don't have to fuss about 'damage dice rolls' and just get a full zilch, without affecting the target's FP, HP or casting rolls.

Seems less swingy that way, less complex and makes the spell powerful enough for a Greater effect. That was my reading/preference, anyhow. Could just be mistaken, though.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #184
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I tend to assume for my settings that very very few competent casters ever die of old age
That works, but the quest for immortality is a time honored adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Yeah, this is where things in RPM get a bit dicey. A person not aging for 6 months means practically nothing. A person not aging for 6 years might cause some minor comments, but is easily excused away. A person not aging for 60 years results in pitchforks and torches or offerings of worship.

Similarly, healing 2d in a few seconds (an 11 energy spell) at TL 8 is noticeable but not world-shattering - you'll on average manage to negate a Major Wound. Healing 20d in a few minutes (by casting that 11 energy spell 10 times in succession) is a different story - you'll take someone from death's doorstep to fully healed.

In either case, if the GM has a problem, some sort of diminishing returns is needed. In the former, you can say, sure, a spell to not age for a given amount of time works as advertised for that time period, but if you keep recasting the same spell everything beyond the first duration is a temporary effect - a character who has maintained this spell for 20 years will instantly age 19 years and 6 months if it is dispelled or runs out without renewing it. If you want it to actually stop aging outright, you have to keep increasing the Duration cost - so you need to pay for a year's worth for the second 6-month period, 1.5 year's for the third, 2 years for the fourth, and so on. If you later let the spell expire (or it's dispelled) and want to recast it again, the actual duration of the new spell is equal to the Duration you pay for minus however long you've spent Unaging.

For example, we've got a witch who decides to cast the 37 energy spell to halt aging for 6 months. When the Duration is up, maintaining it for another 6 months costs 22 energy (1 year) instead of 16. The next two castings are 23 energy (2 years), the next two are 24 (3 years), and so on. Let's say she maintains it for 5 years, then it gets dispelled. She's still 5 years younger than she should be, but she'd rather like to go back to not aging, so she needs to recast. She decides to cast a version that lasts for a decade, costing 52 energy. As she's already spent 5 years Unaging, however, she only gets 5 years out of the spell, and needs to recast, at ever-increasing cost, every 10 years. If she had instead opted to not increase cost each time the duration ran out but just spend 16 energy each time, then when her spell was dispelled at the 5 year mark she would have instantly aged 4.5 years.

Probably just a Quirk - "Always tries to have one particular spell activated." A [-5] Obsession might also fit, but that's probably the limit of it.
If you assume that if the spell is broken you'll age instantly to your actual age and you're playing a character whose more than 100 years old then that'd be worth draining (with the aging modifier) for that spell, right?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #185
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
I think it is explictly stated in the RPM book that wiping out a mage's mana reserve is a Greater effect - presumably, the trade off is that you don't have to fuss about 'damage dice rolls' and just get a full zilch, without affecting the target's FP, HP or casting rolls.
It does indeed state that Greater Destroy Magic can do this, but doesn't specify if just that effect is sufficient or if you'd need to combine it with something else. The other examples for Greater Destroy Magic are all Altered Traits (Removed Advantages), meaning that could be the same (although I think your interpretation is probably correct as to the author's intent). I'm not a big fan of absolute effects, however, so I'd prefer to go with Lesser Destroy Magic and ER damage.

Quote:
If you assume that if the spell is broken you'll age instantly to your actual age and you're playing a character whose more than 100 years old then that'd be worth draining (with the aging modifier) for that spell, right?
What do you mean by "draining (with the aging modifier)" here?
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #186
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
What do you mean by "draining (with the aging modifier)" here?
I mean the Draining disadvantage with the modifier which makes you age in addition to taking damage.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #187
ajardoor

Dormant Undeath
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Undead.
Inherent Modifiers: Duration + Duration + Subject Weight.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

The subject of this curse, if not resisted, will be doomed to rise again as an undead creature (a zombie, by default) once killed if within the duration of the spell (12 hours, by default). Once animated, the zombie lasts for a secondary duration (1 day, by default). The spell itself does not cause any damage to the subject, nor will it control the resulting undead creature - but that is good enough to make a deployable monster out of an easily killed enemy to create chaos in the opposition ranks. A Greater Create Undead effect would work for a Wight, Crimson Head or Vampire.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Undead (6) + Duration, 12 hours (6) + Duration, 1 day (7) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) + Range, 10 yards (4). 26 energy (26x1).

Find the Heart
Spell Effects: Greater Strengthen Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, all attack and damage rolls with the melee weapon.
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

This spell is cast upon a melee weapon. It provides a bonus of +3 to all attack and damage rolls with the ensorcelled melee weapon for the duration of the spell.

Typical Casting: Greater Strengthen Matter (3) + Subject Weight, 30 lbs. (1) + Bestows a Bonus, +3 to attack and damage rolls with the melee weapon (20) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 75 energy (25x3).
Old 12-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #188
ajardoor

Disable Firearms
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: Area of Effect.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

All ammunition loaded into any sort of firearm is rendered inert by this area effect (20 yards radius, by default) spell - including the caster's own loaded firearm, if an exception is not made (a caster could simply not load the gun before casting, or attach a charm to the gun that undoes the spell). Loading the gun with new ammo would fix the problem, but NOT immediate action, as the problem is not a jam but a bullet defect. This is a great spell for a charm or conditional trigger, set to go off if the caster is threatened with a gun.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Matter (5) + Subject Weight, 10 lbs. (0) + Area of Effect, 20 yards radius (12). 17 energy (17x1).
Old 12-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #189
Angle

Here's a set I made up for an elementalist character. The character has the adjustable spell perk for path of energy and path of matter, so most of these are cheaper for her.

Spoiler:  
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #190
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I just built a big set of rituals and I thought I'd post them. Some of them are pretty basic, but also pretty important. This set of rituals was made with a witch specializing in countering other mages in mind. I talk about good use as well as the effects.

I'm still wondering a few things:

1) if a mage has their casting ability taken away by magic, do their charms still work? This is important because one of the charms is meant to restore a casters powers --

2) If I want to reinforce armor, (lets say I want to make an injury resistant leather coat, harry Dresden style), Am I bestowing a bonus, adding a trait (DR) or doing something else?

3) how does the 'flaming sword' build work? Right now the last ritual in the list is that spell, and its just taking object weight, duration, and the external damage numbers (*3 the listed). Is that legal? Relatedly, if I want to give someone the ability to throw fire balls for 10 minutes, how does that work?

Feel free to critique any of the rituals, though I am most concerned about the ones above.

Rituals
Spoiler:  

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology