Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
bluepnut

Default General monster question!!!

Hello,
I just purchased my first copy of munchkin and I'm currently waiting on it to come in... I have been doing my homework by reading the rules etc. but I have a question.

When I kick down a door and the monster is a level 20 with and it has a bonus +5 to everyone (The kevinator from the guild booster pack) is he really a level 25? Or does it mean that whatever my level with my combat attributes drop 5? I am a newb so bare with me on this, the directions didn't really clarify the monsters ability affect unless I misread it somewhere. Any and all information will be useful.

Also no one around me has even heard of munchkin so I'm introducing this to my magic playing bros cause I need some change and YES I did discover this game on Wil wheatons tabletop web series.

Thanks
bluepnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: General monster question!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepnut View Post
When I kick down a door and the monster is a level 20 with and it has a bonus +5 to everyone (The kevinator from the guild booster pack) is he really a level 25? Or does it mean that whatever my level with my combat attributes drop 5?
If the card tells you it's +5 to the Monster, add that to his combat strenght. If it is a penalty to you, the card will read something like "Elves have -2 against him". Of course, in this example, you can change "Elves" for any race or Class, Males, Females, any other thing.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
HumphreyBraggart

I am fairly new to the game my self but i would haveto agree with bonetm. It might more clear to say that there is a distinction between anything's level and its cimbat strength. You will come to see the reason for the distinction when you are playing and come across cards which reference the level of a player or monster.
HumphreyBraggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumphreyBraggart View Post
I am fairly new to the game my self but i would haveto agree with bonetm. It might more clear to say that there is a distinction between anything's level and its cimbat strength. You will come to see the reason for the distinction when you are playing and come across cards which reference the level of a player or monster.
To be more precise, the difference is between Level, with capital L, and level/combat strenght.

The Level is 1 to 10, it's the goal of the game. The combat strenght is your Level + bonus. So a +5 in combat is usually a bonus, unless it says +5 to Level.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

To be even MORE clear, assume that any bonuses or penalties apply to combat strength, not to basic Level (which always takes a capital L when that's what we're referring to).

There should not be any more regular bonuses or penalties that apply to Level, but there are a VERY few cards that do change it -- Typographical Error, for instance.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote