Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #71
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#26): Combat Reflexes, Enhanced Defences, ETS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Batman doesn't have enhanced defenses, he has high basic speed and unarmed skill. There's nothing you can do with enhanced defenses that you can't do better with stats and skills.
And about a 100 levels of luck and plot protection.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #72
David Johnston2

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#26): Combat Reflexes, Enhanced Defences, ETS

Quote:
Batman doesn't have enhanced defenses, he has high basic speed and unarmed skill. There's nothing you can do with enhanced defenses that you can't do better with stats and skills.
Enhanced dodge costs 15 points. Batman's maxed out on his stats and extra speed costs 20.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:28 AM   #73
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Enhanced dodge costs 15 points. Batman's maxed out on his stats and extra speed costs 20.
And grants increased move, which he certainly has, and increased initiative, which he has. Besides which, the best way to represent defensive skill on a Batman level is moderately high dodge plus IT(Diffuse) with a special effect of 'only a flesh wound'.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:14 AM   #74
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Batman has all sorts of super powers. He's only normal according to characters in setting and "word of god", not by evidence.
He likely has obscene skill levels allowing obscene defenses.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:28 AM   #75
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Batman has all sorts of super powers. He's only normal according to characters in setting and "word of god", not by evidence.
He likely has obscene skill levels allowing obscene defenses.
Which is why I only mention Enhanced Dodge. He has no need of parry enhancement. And while he can do all kinds of wonderful things, his foot speed should only be about equal to the greatest sprinter in history.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #76
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Which is why I only mention Enhanced Dodge. He has no need of parry enhancement. And while he can do all kinds of wonderful things, his foot speed should only be about equal to the greatest sprinter in history.
Yeah, it is odd that ED is the only way to improve dodge unlike every other physical or combat ability.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #77
Anthony

Quote:
First of all, that's not clearly true, plenty of other athletic things he does are straight-up superhuman. Secondly, that's when you buy down basic move. Third, 'X is less useful but costs the same as Y' is a bad thing.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #78
David Johnston2

Quote:
First of all, that's not clearly true, plenty of other athletic things he does are straight-up superhuman. Secondly, that's when you buy down basic move. Third, 'X is less useful but costs the same as Y' is a bad thing.
It doesn't cost the same. It costs 5 points less per level.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #79
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
It doesn't cost the same. It costs 5 points less per level.
Basic Speed +1.00[20], Basic Move-1 [-5] = [15]. Enhanced Dodge = [15] and doesn't do as much.

It gets especially crazy when you can take Flight, since Air Move is calculated from Basic Speed instead of Basic Move (a decision clearly made to give a little bit of use to the two numbers on Basic Speed after the decimal point, but interacts poorly with the fact that Basic Move can be sold down or bought up independently from Basic Speed).
Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #80
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Basic Speed +1.00[20], Basic Move-1 [-5] = [15]. Enhanced Dodge = [15] and doesn't do as much.

It gets especially crazy when you can take Flight, since Air Move is calculated from Basic Speed instead of Basic Move (a decision clearly made to give a little bit of use to the two numbers on Basic Speed after the decimal point, but interacts poorly with the fact that Basic Move can be sold down or bought up independently from Basic Speed).
With regards to that last point, I think its one of those things where we all know it can be exploited and just has to be controlled by the GM (or if the GM is exploiting it, the collective players): while a lot of characters could milk it for near meaningless points, it is also true for quite a few character concepts that yeah, ground move is no where near as good as air even adjusting for how they scale in GURPS. I'd think for some vehicles and some animals (let alone various exotic fictional characters and concepts) it makes sense to buy up Basic Speed, buy down Move and then take Flight because yeah, they have good reflexes and air speed but lousy earthbound speed.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, combat reflexes, enhanced defenses, enhanced time sense, week, [basic]