Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-29-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Enigami

Default Defeat one monster+Transferal potion

If a rival fights two monsters( for whatever reason) and then defeats(or kills)* one of them, and I transfer( by transferal potion) the other monster to myself and kill it(or defeat it) , do I get the treasures from the monster he has defeated ? Does he ?

I would say I do get the treasures because the monster is already defeated and left it's treasures and now you're them to claim them after you beat the second monster.

*using charm, draw and strike, polymorph potion
Enigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Mental_Myopia

Default Re: Defeat one monster+Transferal potion

Keep in mind that the two monsters must be fought together. In normal combat, both monsters would be simultaneously defeated.

In your scenario, you mention that the player in combat gets rid of one of the monsters, such as done by the Polymorph Potion or the Charm ability of the Wizard. The other monster still needs to be defeated, before any Treasure is gained.

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Faced with multiple hostile monsters, one does not get any of their treasures until all are defeated. If you Pollymorph one, Charm one, and then must Run Away from the last one, you get no treasure at all.
Transferral Potion is played on the remaining monster.
"Play during any combat. Any other player (your choice) fights the monster(s), may ask for help normally, and gets the treasure and levels if he wins. The original player then resumes his turn, and may loot the room whether the combat was won or lost. Usable once only."

It appears as though when this combat shifts to the new player, the Treasure left behind by Polymorph or Charm is left in that combat. If the player to whom the combat was transferred defeats the remaining monster, it would appear that he would get the Level and Treasure from the monster he defeated, plus the Treasure which was left behind from the Polymorphed or Charmed monster.

In looking at the wordings, though:
Polymorph - "Monster leaves its Treasure behind."
Wizard Charm - "Discard the Monster and take its Treasure."

The wording on the Wizard card gave me some doubts; but then I read more into the FAQ, which seems to apply:
Quote:
Q. If a wizard is helping in a combat and Charms a Monster, does he get the Treasure from that Monster?
A. The Treasures gained from a charmed Monster are no different than Treasures from a Monster that is killed, so the Treasures (drawn after the combat is over and all remaining Monsters, if any, are defeated) are distributed as per the final agreement that the wizard negotiated for his help in the first place.
The Transferral Potion would steal the free Treasure, if the new player in combat defeats the remaining Monster. That's a very Munchkinly move! :)
-------------------------------------
Mental_Myopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:04 AM   #3
Enigami

I hope we get an official word on this,because this has already happened and is bound to happen again. It would have serisouly changed my last game if the rule is what you said (and I agree), since in the battle two monster were defeated and the third was transfered. I gave the other players the benefit of doubt and did not take the other treasures,since they did not agree with having the treasure transfered.
Enigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

That's the kind of play that can ruin everyone's fun if you do it often enough. I've always treated it that since the combat is transferred, everything basically restarts, to a certain degree, and the new combatant only gets the Treasures from the remaining Monster(s) faced. In other words, you only get credit/reward for the things you do yourself. Not always the most munchkinly of attitudes, but one that's fair in the scope of the real world in which we actually exist. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
Elidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
...the real world in which we actually exist. . .
You take the blue pill and the story ends.You wake in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe.

You take the red pill and you stayin Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes
Elidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
funny_pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
That's the kind of play that can ruin everyone's fun if you do it often enough. I've always treated it that since the combat is transferred, everything basically restarts, to a certain degree, and the new combatant only gets the Treasures from the remaining Monster(s) faced. In other words, you only get credit/reward for the things you do yourself. Not always the most munchkinly of attitudes, but one that's fair in the scope of the real world in which we actually exist. . .
Yes, it looks fair enough, but it does not answer one question: does the first player (who started to fight and charmed/pollymorphed one monster) take the treasures from the charmed monster (after the second player has successfully defeated the remaining one)? Or nobody takes them?
funny_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Shadowere

Quote:
Originally Posted by funny_pepper
Yes, it looks fair enough, but it does not answer one question: does the first player (who started to fight and charmed/pollymorphed one monster) take the treasures from the charmed monster (after the second player has successfully defeated the remaining one)? Or nobody takes them?
You could go either way...as the original player resumes his turn and is able to loot the room. If the battle did not happen then the monster's treasure is gone, and the player would take a door card to loot the room. On the other hand, if the battle did happen then the monster's treasure would be collected. I personally would still reward the original player for his/her efforts and allow them to collect the treasure left behind. Either way a certain amount of treasure, and above all a level has already been stolen from the player....
Shadowere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
neon rabbit

Evening all, been playing this game for a few days now (played with mates years ago) and recently someone played the tactic you mentiond with a slight variation, in that to win the game my enemy needed two levels and i had just drawn 2 monsters, would you concider using a transferal potion at the begining of battle to take control of the battle and go on to win be a "fair" move. Does a transferal potion allow you to take control of the entire battle? Not sure if this has been discused before but with so many forums and only google to find them i was strugling to find somewhere else.

"An OTHER player of your choice" thats the bit i cant figure out.

Thank very much all.
neon rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I swear to Cthulhu, I'm going to write an entire FAQ section just on that one damn card.

"Any other player" means "any player other than the one currently fighting." Yes, if you transfer a fight to yourself that would give you enough levels to win the game, and no one is able to stop you, then you win the game. You must transfer the entire fight; you can't transfer some monsters and save others to whup up on yourself.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Kirt

Neon Rabbit resurrected a fairly old thread here.

While Andrew responded to his specific query, I think something should be pointed out to avoid confusion for the casual readers of this thread.

MM suggested in post 4 of this current thread (in 2007) that a player who receives a combat by way of Transferal Potion does not receive treasures from monsters already defeated in the combat.

That opinion has been superseded by MM's very clear 2011 ruling (here and here) that the treasures do indeed "travel" with the combat and in fact go to the munchkin who finally resolves the combat.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transferral potion, treasure