Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-07-2021, 11:50 PM   #11
Hide

Default Re: New RPG stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Does anybody have any experince with Amazing Adventures from Troll Lord Games? (...)
Given the price, could be worth it.
But why is it on sale?
Old 01-08-2021, 07:18 AM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Given the price, could be worth it.
But why is it on sale?
<shrug>Troll Lord runs frequent sales on different items.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:26 PM   #13
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
And BundleOfHolding now has John Carter https://bundleofholding.com/presents/JohnCarter
Also, Blades in the Dark, along with 5 BitD hacks for Weird West, Post-Apocalypse, Dark Fantasy, Cyberpunk, and Star Wars style Space Opera.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:14 AM   #14
ak_aramis

Quote:
I want to thank everyone who has contributed so far and it it would help anyone calibrate what I might like or dislike soem nice people in my gaming group came up with links to Quickstart versions of the Modiphius Conan and John Carter games after I mentioned being tempted by any game about Carter.
[snip]
Sadly I really do not care for Modiphius 2D20 system. I find it abstract, indirect and opaque. <shrug> It may suit one of you though.

If you wanted just a little taste the mechanism they use to handle John carter's leaping ability is aTalent called Leaps and Bounds. What this enables Carter to do is to at the start of any round jump from the Near Zone to the Far Zone by expending one point of Momentum. Does this mean he is able to jump 3x as far as a Martian? I can't tell.
Not quite, but kinda... A Martian needs a roll and takes a +1 next turn for reaching that range in one turn. one with the talent can spend the momentum and just get there, with no penalties, and still act...

You'll want to avoid dune, too. Except for damage dice (Dune doesn't use them), it's still 2d20. (The starter box adventure is excellent, but it's still got the 2d20 core mechanics.)

I just recently picked up Talisman Adventures in PDF (dead tree isn't shipping yet)...
It's set in the same place as the classic Talisman boardgame. (The addons pack is a freebie, including the map, and the pregens)
It's a (3···4)d6k3 rolling, +att if skilled, +2 if specialized, for TNs in the 8 to 20 range by difficulty; quality of success is by how many dice matched... none is simple success (get hit), good requires doubles (don't get hit), great requires triples (don't get hit and do special bonus). All rolls except damage and what's encountered are made by players. Lots of errata, tho'. We're taking MegaTraveller levels.
The GM makes no to-hit rolls; players instead get hit or not be a reciprocation of their attack or other action.

One other newish thing I'd recommend is the also not out yet: Pendragon 6E. Solid system, and as with all things Chaosium, the rules are backwards compatible at the character sheet level (as in, a character for any edition is useable in any other edition without needing conversions, thus making adventures usable both directions). There is a preview/quickplay sample.

Sentinel Comics corebook just shipped to backers, so I got my dead tree. Big, pretty, and it plays well, too, at least if you don't shirk of the narration of the actions.

Last edited by ak_aramis; 01-11-2021 at 05:17 AM.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #15
corwyn

Quote:
I want to thank everyone who has contributed so far and it it would help anyone calibrate what I might like or dislike soem nice people in my gaming group came up with links to Quickstart versions of the Modiphius Conan and John Carter games after I mentioned being tempted by any game about Carter.

Sadly I really do not care for Modiphius 2D20 system. I find it abstract, indirect and opaque. <shrug> It may suit one of you though.
Not exactly new, but in a similar vein, there is a savage worlds Flash Gordon:

https://www.peginc.com/product-category/flash-gordon/

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #16
ckosacranoid

If you are still looking at good buys for stuff.
Atomic Highways is a coo, game, and free....I mean you can not pass that up- for a price and the game is pretty cool for an end of world game for anything from zombies to bombs and mad max vibe for sure.
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:22 PM   #17
SimonAce

Quote:
Does anybody have any experince with Amazing Adventures from Troll Lord Games? It's on sale at drivethru.rpg through Friday with a $5 corebook, companion and bestiary.

It's a pulp game based off of the Castles and Crusades Siege Engine system. From my knowledge of Castles and Crusades (and I may have played a short campaign of it) it's an OSR/emulation of 1st ed D&D and I am not at all nostalgic for D&D1e.

I am however easily tempted by pulp. $5 might not seem like much but I am trying to avoid spending that on a system I will read once and then never open the file again.
slightly
If you don't like D&D you won't like the core system the Siege Engine as your memory is correct it is similar to D&D 3X for skills and the like but done in a slightly janky and awkward manner. Its decent enough though and a couple of tweaks make using your 3X stuff pretty effortless.

However if you are not going to play it, its not worth the $5 for a read as its not that special and frankly D&D is good for playing D&D which you don't want not doing other stuff. YMMV.

Last edited by SimonAce; 01-11-2021 at 11:26 PM.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:35 PM   #18
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post
slightly
If you don't like D&D you won't like the core system the Siege Engine as your memory is correct it is similar to D&D 3X for skills and the like but done in a slightly janky and awkward manner. Its decent enough though and a couple of tweaks make using your 3X stuff pretty effortless.
I concur.

Just for reference: TN is 12+difficulty for primary atts, 18+Difficulty for secondary.
If ability is in class, 1d20 +attributeMod+level. If not in class, either disallow or allow at 1d20+AttributeMod only.

It can be either very stolid (if everyone shares the same ideas of "in class") or fraught with annoyance and frustration (if not).
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote