Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2021, 03:25 AM   #1
Anth

Default Truesight 60'

Hi,
more conversions from DnD that I have problem with.

One of the characters have Truesight 60' (always on).

First, I think I skip the range.
(normally DnD races like dwarves/gnomes have Darkvision 60', that's converted to GURPS Night Vision 5 - no range restriction there)
If I want to keep the range 20 yards, what would the limitation be worth? The limitation Reduced Range divide the range with a number, but visual advantages don't have range.

DnD Truesight gives:
- See in normal/magical darkness.
- See invisible.
- See through visual illusions.
- see the true form of shapechanged/morphed creatures.
- See into the etheral plane.

See in normal/magical darkness
This is the same as the spell Dark Vision, but how much will it cost as an advantage?
As I understand the GURPS Advantage Dark Vision is more like DnD Blindsight, i.e. use other senses than the eyes.

See invisible
Easy, the GURPS Advantage See invisible.
But I'm a little confused of the wording "type of invisibility". I guess we're talking electromagnetic invisibility.

See through magical visual illusions
I have no idea.
Should I treat this as another form om "see invisible"?
Or is it a form of detection?

See the true form of shapechanged/morphed creatures
This also stumps me. Any suggestions?

See into the etheral plane
This is basically the same as the spell Astral Vision, but how do I build it as an advantage?
Anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:27 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Truesight 60'

No, Dark Vision uses the eyes. You can enhance it with Hypersensory if you have Powers: Enhanced Senses, which enhances it with other senses, but the default is sight. Blindsight would be a Scanning Sense.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:16 AM   #3
coronatiger

To see through illusions, have the character gain immunity to them. (See Resistant, B80-81.)

For seeing transformed creatures' true form, I'd let that be a perk, unless the campaign is riddled with werewolves and the like.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the ethereal plane". If you just see ghosts and spiritual residues overlaid on the "real world", that should be covered by See Invisible. If on the other hand you can look inside another dimension/worldline/reality, consider Clairsentience/Clairvoyance (B42) with appropriate Enhancements/Limitations. Reduced Fatigue Cost (2 levels) removes the need for paying FP to use it. Cosmic allows you to use it without losing your regular senses. Melee Attack (Reach C, can't parry) makes it so you can't shift your vision away from your own position, or its equivalent in the other world. The ability to see into another dimension balances the inability of using the sight in the real world. Or you could handle the ethereal plane as another kind of invisibility, with See Invisible (Ethereal Plane).

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:46 AM   #4
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

See this recent thread for some discussion on maximum range for visual senses.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
No, Dark Vision uses the eyes. You can enhance it with Hypersensory if you have Powers: Enhanced Senses, which enhances it with other senses, but the default is sight. Blindsight would be a Scanning Sense.
Ah, I interpreted "using some means other than light, radar, sonar" that you didn't use the eyes. Thnx.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:33 AM   #6
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
To see through illusions, have the character gain immunity to them. (See Resistant, B80-81.)

For seeing transformed creatures' true form, I'd let that be a perk, unless the campaign is riddled with werewolves and the like.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the ethereal plane". If you just see ghosts and spiritual residues overlaid on the "real world", that should be covered by See Invisible. If on the other hand you can look inside another dimension/worldline/reality, consider Clairsentience/Clairvoyance (B42) with appropriate Enhancements/Limitations. Reduced Fatigue Cost (2 levels) removes the need for paying FP to use it. Cosmic allows you to use it without losing your regular senses. Melee Attack (Reach C, can't parry) makes it so you can't shift your vision away from your own position, or its equivalent in the other world. The ability to see into another dimension balances the inability of using the sight in the real world. Or you could handle the ethereal plane as another kind of invisibility, with See Invisible (Ethereal Plane).
Great!

I'd say that illusions at least are "occational" (it's a fantasy world), so immune to illusion should cost 10 points?

I still think "See true form" is a little more powerful than a perk (it's a fantasy world),, so I let it be a 5 pt advantage.
- It can be used to find the prince turned to frog in a pond full of frogs.
- Werewolves ain't common, but there are some more creatures that can transform, like hags, devils, dragons etc.

That should give:
- See in normal/magical darkness => Dark Vision 25 points
- See invisible => See Invisible (elctro magnetic) 15 points
- See through visual illusions => Resistance illusions 10 points
- see the true form of shapechanged/morphed creatures => New advantage: see true form 5 points
- See into the etheral plane => See invisible (etheral/astral) 15 points
Old 01-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
See this recent thread for some discussion on maximum range for visual senses.
I think I won't limit the vision in this case, but this is a GREAT solution. I might use it for other powers.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
I still think "See true form" is a little more powerful than a perk (it's a fantasy world),, so I let it be a 5 pt advantage.
- It can be used to find the prince turned to frog in a pond full of frogs.
- Werewolves ain't common, but there are some more creatures that can transform, like hags, devils, dragons etc.
I just found the spell Know True Shape in GURPS Magic - that's the effect I want (I still think it should be a 5 pt advantage).