Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2021, 02:09 AM   #1
Anth

Default Unusual Disadvanatages

Hi,
thnx for all help so far.
Here are the most peculiar curses that I need to convert to GURPS.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Frost patterns
You are cold to the touch and if you don't move, frost patterns appear on all surfaces you're touching (like frost roses on windows) about one yard away.
This sounds like a -10 supernatural feature. Maybe it's also a perk that you always can get a cold beer just by holding the glass.

Aura of intimidation
Everyone act as if you always use the skill intimidate.
This is like a weaker version of the advantage Terror, or maybe like the advantage Social Regard; Feared.
To complicate things, this is "always on".
I have no idea how to do with this; is it an advantage with the limitation "always on" or is it a disadvantage?
The player certainly thinks that this curse is a disadvantage as he plays a paladin and thus are the groups "leader" when negotiating with other people.

Can't see you, can't hear you.
If people can't se your mouth, they can't hear you speaking.
Even if the character is a thief and like to move silently this is still inconvenient, because he still isn't silent. Others just can't hear him speak if they ain't looking straight at him, but they still hear him if he clap his hands or trip over something.
I thought of the disadvantage Cannot Speak: mute, with a mitigator if someone look straight at you.
But I don't know how much the mitigator should be worth.
Anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:03 AM   #2
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: Unusual Disadvanatages

#2 sounds like it's just the Inappropriate Manner (Pushy) quirk from Power-Ups 6.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #3
bocephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
Hi,
thnx for all help so far.
Here are the most peculiar curses that I need to convert to GURPS.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Frost patterns
You are cold to the touch and if you don't move, frost patterns appear on all surfaces you're touching (like frost roses on windows) about one yard away.
This sounds like a -10 supernatural feature. Maybe it's also a perk that you always can get a cold beer just by holding the glass.
#1 strikes me as more of a modifier to an innate ability. Id be more interested in the other associated conditions... Is this person less susceptible to cold, more susceptible to heat? Do they radiate a cold but they themselves don't feel it and operate more or less normally? I think you need to flesh out how it might be an advantage as well as a disadvantage before you can put a price on it. Also how people will react to it, and can it be hidden with minor effort, major effort, supernatural effort?

a -10 disadvantage is something that forces the PC to deal with the world in an inconvenient way. Its not a flavor of "well thats just odd", its something that causes them to lose relationships, get run out of town, be constantly harassed by some local agency, never get a decent price for anything ... it alters the game in a constant and consistent manner that is detrimental to the PC.

If someone tries to kill him, start a fight with him, turn him into the "People Against Mutants and their ilk" for a bounty, etc ... Immediatly upon witnessing the event, then you have a disad worth -10 or more.
If this is going to be one of those broody emo "Im cool but I cant see it cause Im soooo tortured" kinda things then maybe a quirk or lesser version of Lifebane for a -5 or -2 depending on the severity of the reaction roll.

Before you can really decide on the "Curse cost" you need to first decide how the PC is disadvantaged. What you described sounds, to me, more like a weird low level power, or a perk cause there are some game advantages that on first blush seem to over power the idea of a disadvantage.

Last edited by bocephus; 01-28-2021 at 02:10 AM.
bocephus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #4
Inky

I agree, Supernatural Features is an odd one. It's given a standard price in the Basic Set, but its value (positive or negative) really depends entirely on what people's views of magic as such are in the setting. Good point about Lifebane, it does operate very much like that (if there aren't any other practical implications to it besides looking odd), but Lifebane has the same issue.
In some mediaeval settings, people seeing that might think "oo-er witchcraft", and either report you or at least keep well away. That might be a -5 or -10 feature.
In a supers setting where supers are common knowledge, it might get you respect, interest and job offers, at least until they found out that that was all there was to it. Maybe +5.
In a real-life setting where magic isn't publicly known to exist, you'd be, in World of Darkness terminology, a walking Masquerade breach. Anyone who noticed it would freak out and lengthy explanations would be required, and if your own activities required keeping the existence of magic secret, you'd have to make sure nobody did see it. -5 or -10.
In a setting where magicians are well known, e.g. Discworld, people would either think "This is a person who can't control their powers or is under some spell of unknown extent, stand well clear and do not let them run your errands", or "This is an ice mage who is a terrible show-off"! -1 to -5.