Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
otghand

Default Weight error with compartmentalized modifier

I just found an odd error, presumably in the GDF file regarding compartmentalized (LT 35), both light and heavy. Adding compartmentalized to a container is supposed to increase weight by 1.1 / 1.2 for light / heavy. In practice it seems to increase it by 10 lbs / 20 lbs.

i have looked in the full edit window but can not identify where it is coming from - all I see is the final total.

Any help out there?
otghand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Weight error with compartmentalized modifier

That's caused by an error in the gives() tag of the modifiers in question. The author of that section of the data file uses gives(+10% to owner::baseweight), unfortunately GCA doesn't know what to do with the +10%, so it drops the percentage sign and adds a straight +10 to the weight. Instead it needs to use the format
gives(+(owner::baseweight/10) to owner::baseweight)

The corrected section from the Low-Tech data file follows:
Code:
<Containers>
*   Compartmentalized: Containers may be given internal compartments (pockets in cloth or leather, dividers in wooden boxes, etc.). This lets someone familiar with the container's contents find items in less time.
"Compartmentalized: Light compartmentalization", +0.25 CF, page(LT35), gives(+(owner::baseweight/10) to owner::baseweight), description(Containers may be given internal compartments (pockets in cloth or leather, dividers in wooden boxes, etc.). This lets someone familiar with the container's contents find items in less time. Light compartmentalization reduces search times by 10%.), shortname(Light compartmentalization)
"Compartmentalized: Heavy compartmentalization", +0.5 CF, page(LT35), gives(+(owner::baseweight/5) to owner::baseweight), description(Containers may be given internal compartments (pockets in cloth or leather, dividers in wooden boxes, etc.). This lets someone familiar with the container's contents find items in less time. Heavy compartmentalization reduces search times by 25%.), shortname(Heavy compartmentalization)
"Reinforced", +0.01 CF/+0.02 CF, page(LT35), gives(+(owner::baseweight/100) to owner::baseweight)
Unfortunately Armin was just inquiring about putting out a new Data Update and I'm not sure if he'll catch this and get my updated data file with this fix or if he's already sent the new Data Update on to SJGames for their approval and posting.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Unfortunately Armin was just inquiring about putting out a new Data Update and I'm not sure if he'll catch this and get my updated data file with this fix or if he's already sent the new Data Update on to SJGames for their approval and posting.
Already submitted. I should have known better, as something always comes up as soon as I send in an update....
Old 04-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
otghand

Thank you for the quick help. I can make the change via hand edit now that I know what the issue is.
otghand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compartmentalized, container, error, gca, low tech