Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
Joseph R

Default Crushroom (illustration or mini)

Does anyone have a suitable illustration or paper mini to represent what the Crushroom looks like?

Most monsters are easy enough for me to picture from the description even without an illustration. However in the case of the Crushroom, I'm having difficulty understanding the morphology of the critter from that description alone. Additionally I used cardboard heroes and other paper minis in F2F games, and a suitable illustration of the Crushroom would be useful for that as well.

The morphology is a question in my mind, because I'm trying to picture how a human-sized "mushroom" with it's mouth on top, would be able to bite (and grapple!) a humanoid torso (or anywhere else). The traits don't state that it has no "head", so maybe the gaping maw is supposed to be directable. I'm not sure. What am I missing?
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Crushroom (illustration or mini)

I picture it something like this, just lose the 'eyes', 'mouth', and 'arms' and make the legs a mass of short tentacles.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Michael Thayne

I envisioned something like a cross between a venus flytrap and a mushroom. Or perhaps more accurately, Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors and a mushroom. I assumed the stalk was flexible enough to bite this adjacent to it, not just on top.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
tbone

I was wondering the same. If that maw is on top, I guess it can quickly bend forward to bite. Otherwise it'd have to pick up a PC and feed him into that top mouth – something a single crushroom arm would have the strength to do, but there don't seem to be any arms, so nope.

Here's hoping some future DF/DFRPG supplement will reveal the crushroom, mindwarper, and other original monsters in illustrated glory! Like a new miniatures set to fill in those gaps in the artwork.

(Until then, here's a GM tip: Got appropriate miniatures on the table for all your heroes and monsters – but nothing for a crushroom? Just head to the fridge. . . )

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #5
Bruno

I'm sketching out a Crushroom for Token Tuesday on Dungeons on Automatic. I've got a Watcher at the End of Time but not a Mindwarper, I should do that soon.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm sketching out a Crushroom for Token Tuesday on Dungeons on Automatic. I've got a Watcher at the End of Time but not a Mindwarper, I should do that soon.
As nice as your Tokens are, they aren't much use to us paper minis types...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote