Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-09-2017, 05:20 AM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Monetizing Giant-Spider Silk

Let's say the heroes find a large area filled with spider webs, which I assume is the raw material for Giant-Spider Silk. It's quite sticky, so how can they harvest it? How much would it be worth for someone who can turn it into Giant-Spider Silk, ready to be woven into light cloth armor?
Old 10-09-2017, 06:04 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Monetizing Giant-Spider Silk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Let's say the heroes find a large area filled with spider webs, which I assume is the raw material for Giant-Spider Silk. It's quite sticky, so how can they harvest it? How much would it be worth for someone who can turn it into Giant-Spider Silk, ready to be woven into light cloth armor?
Presumably the weaving costs are not significantly different than for any other fabric, so most of the price difference from ordinary silk (something like $500/lb in DF8, which seems rather high to me) must be the difficulty of obtaining the raw material. Incidentally spider webs (and silkworm cocoons for the matter) run a few percent of the weight of the animal, so its probably reasonable to collect $5 or $10 worth of silk per pound of giant spiders you killed or drove off.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
It's quite sticky, so how can they harvest it?
The hard way. Either by hand or by spinning it up on a stick or something and then cutting it free into a container.

Quote:
How much would it be worth for someone who can turn it into Giant-Spider Silk, ready to be woven into light cloth armor?
This silk has trash in it, someone has been fighting in it, no doubt their will be dead bodies in it...

Also some of the silk will have decayed, so only a portion of what is collected will be of value, and this will be a cost passed on to the harvestors in the form of a lower price.

Honestly (and I'm saying this as one of the saps likely to end up trying to collect this dross) I'd reach for the Scraps rule on pg 15 of DF 2:

$1dx100 per half-ton wagonload (even then we'd have to find a buyer).

Alternately, the proprietor of the establishment could inquire about it when we come and then upon seeing it call it useless (or if you decide it does have value, she could offer to broker it around, paying us to harvest it). It depends on how much you want to reward the Players ingenuity or just move along to the rest of the adventure.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Colarmel

I'd probably make it a naturalist roll, modified for how clever a harvesting scheme they have. I'd assume the weaving costs are significantly higher than ordinary silk, since the stickiness and tensile strength is considerably greater.

Still, I don't have a problem with it paying out big money, depending on how well they harvest it. I believe in raining down huge sums of money. As a player, I'd be much more inclined to use it to reduce the cost of making a suit of giant spider silk armor.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
I'd probably make it a naturalist roll, modified for how clever a harvesting scheme they have. I'd assume the weaving costs are significantly higher than ordinary silk, since the stickiness and tensile strength is considerably greater.
It's probably boiled to render it separate and unsticky, just like regular silk. Or maybe the Shadow Elf Weavers have secret forbidden techniques*...

* Which means "they boil it and then lie to make it sound mysterious". Their advantage is in being able to communicate with or control the Giant Spiders in the first place making harvesting far, far easier.

Quote:
Still, I don't have a problem with it paying out big money, depending on how well they harvest it. I believe in raining down huge sums of money. As a player, I'd be much more inclined to use it to reduce the cost of making a suit of giant spider silk armor.
In this case it's how much time is going to be set aside to monetize this random cash crop versus continuing the adventure.

Something that occurred to me only after writing the earlier post is how long does it take to harvest:

I'd recommend 30 minutes to harvest a hex, suffering it's 'trap-ness' effects (regardless of whether you're going with 7 feet deep of candy-floss webbing or 1-2 feet deep thick heavy matting, the former we'd spin onto sticks, the latter cut up like sod). Each failure to the 'trap' might reduce the value some or adjust how long it takes to harvest.

Just some more thoughts on it.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #6
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Would it be a better use of the party's time to just sell the location to a lower-level group of adventurers for a share of the take?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Would it be a better use of the party's time to just sell the location to a lower-level group of adventurers for a share of the take?
The location is owned by an NPC... so far one person in the party has (OOCly) contemplated how to 'steal' all the webbing to sell.

I say 'steal' because we might not get paid to what we are down in the basement doing. We were paid to exterminate giant rats, we're instead being murdered by giant ambush spiders in the tavern basement of doom.

;)
Old 10-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
DanHoward

Two options:

1) If the spider hasn't freshly spun the silk (e.g. it degrades every minute after being expelled) then it can't be used for weaving into cloth. This makes the value of the raw material very high compared to the final product.

2) Spidersilk requires a special (and expensive) treatment process before it can be woven in to cloth. This makes the resale value of the raw material much lower compared to the final product.

If you went with option 1, you'd have PCs trying to capture a live spider to imprison it and harvest its silk, thus flooding the market. Option 2 makes it very hard for the PCs to corrupt the market.

Last edited by DanHoward; 10-09-2017 at 04:24 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Option one also leads to some enterprising individuals hiding and transporting spider egg sacks. How sure are you about the gestation length of wild giant spiders?
Old 10-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Maybe cultivated spiders are already a Thing, but just don't yield the same quality silk that wild ones do. No one knows why.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote