Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2022, 10:24 AM   #151
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Not usually in the streets, but its happened. A councilor without an army will loose what has. Unless his friends remember their oaths. They control things by having their soldiers beat or kill those who disagree with them, and by oaths to each other about where their soldiers go."
These are starting to sound less like councillors and more like feudal lords.

"So how does money fit into this? Money to pay for the army? Do they literally buy a spot on the council? Why do they do all this? Vasic tolls? Taxes? Rent?"

I start to worry that they're looking for people who are evading taxes. I haven't paid anything like that.

Last edited by TGLS; 06-16-2022 at 09:48 AM.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #152
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
These are starting to sound less like councillors and more like feudal lords.
Impossible. Their power base is urban!


Quote:
"So how does money fit into this? Money to pay for the army? Do they literally buy a spot on the council? Why do they do all this? Vasic tolls? Taxes? Rent?"
"Money to pay for the army. And to bribe other people with power. They take the taxes and rent from the places they own".
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:30 AM   #153
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Impossible. Their power base is urban!
Maybe more like mobsters collecting protection money then... That's even worse!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Money to pay for the army. And to bribe other people with power. They take the taxes and rent from the places they own".
I get a bit tense. "Who collects for this neighborhood? Am I going to get in trouble for not paying anything to sleep here?"

I just realized that Julian didn't bother asking for the names of Ump's family. I'm willing to just say that I asked earlier and save you the trouble of coming up with the names.

Last edited by TGLS; 06-16-2022 at 09:49 AM.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:37 AM   #154
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I get a bit tense. "Who collects for this neighborhood? Am I going to get in trouble for not paying anything to sleep here?"
Neez: "We don't pay either. As long as we don't do anything fancy here, they won't bother taxing it. They get money from us through the employers at the mine and the vendors in the market. Much easier than tracking down all of us in our little caves."



Quote:

I just realized that Julian didn't bother asking for the names of Ump's family. I'm willing to just say that I asked earlier and save you the trouble of coming up with the names.
Father: "Neez"
Mother: "Elma"
Oldest Sister: "Mina"
Middle Sister: "Maruhom"
Younger Sister: "Kati"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:53 PM   #155
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Neez: "They get money from us through the employers at the mine and the vendors in the market. Much easier than tracking down all of us in our little caves."
"I see. Easier to focus on a tiny group of people and have them pass on the taxes through lower pay and higher prices, I suppose."

"Are the guards, well their leaders, are they worried the Lawin might try to take Bumundo in a surprise attack?"

Last edited by TGLS; 06-17-2022 at 08:58 PM.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:47 AM   #156
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"Are the guards, well their leaders, are they worried the Lawin might try to take Bumundo in a surprise attack?"
Neez: "Aerial attack is the main reason the troops are up here. That and to keep us down. They'd have to fly in, and that gives the soldiers some warning and space to defend. I think they have enough Hawkin to patrol around the mines for some distance".
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:09 PM   #157
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Aerial attack is the main reason the troops are up here. That and to keep us down. They'd have to fly in, and that gives the soldiers some warning and space to defend. I think they have enough Hawkin to patrol around the mines for some distance".
"Oh, so they pay the ones who live around here."

Well I'm out of questions. So,
I linger and make small talk for a socially acceptable period of time.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:00 PM   #158
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

I believe Julian wanted to go exploring sometime... he's able to do so now, venturing into the tunnels, looking for... stuff. he has not been looking long when he spots a stack of wooden poles, all piled up in the tunnel.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:51 PM   #159
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I believe Julian wanted to go exploring sometime... he's able to do so now, venturing into the tunnels, looking for... stuff. he has not been looking long when he spots a stack of wooden poles, all piled up in the tunnel.
Hm. Too many poles to count I guess. Are they pointy? How long are they? Spear length I would guess. Were they at all hidden?

I don't suppose that anyone hiding poles would be up to any good; probably want these poles for weapons but are waiting on the spear points. If I tell the guards about the poles they'll probably decide I have something to do with the poles, and that would not be good.

There's no proper trees up here; maybe somebody would be willing to buy them. Given it's a holiday, I can't imagine anybody willing to buy poles would be working today. Maybe I could find somewhere else to hide the poles, then in the next couple days find someone who wants to buy poles. And if I can't find anyone who wants poles, then at least they don't have them.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:28 AM   #160
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Hm. Too many poles to count I guess. Are they pointy? How long are they? Spear length I would guess. Were they at all hidden?

16 poles, spear length, tapered at one end, and on closer inspection, with knives attached to one end. They're tucked away in a corner and under some loose dead branches/roots (its hard to tell here) ... unless someone was exploring this area, they wouldn't have spotted the spears.


Quote:
There's no proper trees up here; maybe somebody would be willing to buy them. Given it's a holiday, I can't imagine anybody willing to buy poles would be working today. Maybe I could find somewhere else to hide the poles, then in the next couple days find someone who wants to buy poles. And if I can't find anyone who wants poles, then at least they don't have them.
So will he be acting on that?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.