Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2022, 03:09 PM   #121
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
They want to know if people could make it. And frogs are everywhere. At the bottom of the world, with the rain and the rivers.
"And I take it they haven't been too successful keeping the frogs alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Maybe? They are not sure. Its at least one cycle of a vasic stone.
"A cycle? How long is a cycle?"
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:51 AM   #122
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"And I take it they haven't been too successful keeping the frogs alive."
No, they haven't


Quote:
"A cycle? How long is a cycle?"
The amount of time between when they rotate the vasic light stones in the mine. All light stones last for exactly one cycle. People sleep once every 10 cycles.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:40 AM   #123
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The amount of time between when they rotate the vasic light stones in the mine. All light stones last for exactly one cycle. People sleep once every 10 cycles.
So is Julian the sleepiest and hungriest guy around these parts or have we just been glossing over the number of swapping points?

--

At last, Julian had enough of the amazing conversation and decided to go buy some pants.

OK, so I'll head all the way up to the upper market and go to buy some pants. If I can afford the price, I'll haggle a little anyway, and if I can't... I guess I'll literally get on my hands and knees and beg if I have to.

Some haggling rolls:
Quote:
[5] 22-05-13 17:34:13 CEST
Gesture
3d6 <= 13
5 + 4 + 2 = 11 ... success
[6] 22-05-13 17:34:28 CEST
Linguistics
3d6 <= 12
3 + 2 + 4 = 9 ... success
[7] 22-05-13 17:34:46 CEST
Merchant
3d6 <= 10
3 + 4 + 3 = 10 ... success
Hm. The 12-4+1+1 seems to have been reduced in the output. Looks like Julian may have gotten a deal?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:51 AM   #124
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
So is Julian the sleepiest and hungriest guy around these parts or have we just been glossing over the number of swapping points?
Julian has failed to notice some of the swapping points. A full mine shift lasts a little less than four cycles, and thus has three swaps in it.


Quote:
At last, Julian had enough of the amazing conversation and decided to go buy some pants.

OK, so I'll head all the way up to the upper market and go to buy some pants. If I can afford the price, I'll haggle a little anyway, and if I can't... I guess I'll literally get on my hands and knees and beg if I have to.

Some haggling rolls:

Hm. The 12-4+1+1 seems to have been reduced in the output. Looks like Julian may have gotten a deal?
The price remains at 4L... but the merchant throws in some old rags Julian can use as knee pads/bandages for his poor scraped knees.

(thank your pitiable!)

124 posts to get pants... that might be a record!


I'm curious, do you want to know the gurps value of those coins or not?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:50 PM   #125
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Julian has failed to notice some of the swapping points. A full mine shift lasts a little less than four cycles, and thus has three swaps in it.
Curious... I guess a basket full of Vasics looks about the same as a basket full of dirt. But what about the light? Maybe the light isn't going out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The price remains at 4L... but the merchant throws in some old rags Julian can use as knee pads/bandages for his poor scraped knees.
I quickly dress and thank him very much. It's a small comfort; though without a shirt I still feel... exposed. The idea so many people around here have seen me like that unnerves me slightly.

Then I'll go off to buy something to eat. I think I have 3L left.
More arguing over prices!
Quote:
[8] 22-05-17 00:32:49 CEST
Gesture
3d6 <= 13
1 + 3 + 6 = 10 ... success
[9] 22-05-17 00:33:02 CEST
Linguistics
3d6 <= 12
6 + 4 + 1 = 11 ... success
[10] 22-05-17 00:33:16 CEST
Merchant
3d6 <= 10
5 + 4 + 1 = 10 ... success
OK, I think that saves me another real. I guess I'll finish an entry in the light up here, grab a sip of water in the fountain and head back down. Then I'll try to bandage my knees up; don't want to have to rush to get the rags on when I get to the mines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(thank your pitiable!)
I knew it'd be useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm curious, do you want to know the gurps value of those coins or not?
If you think Julian's got a good enough feel for the price of things. I don't; he's only been at the market to really buy lunch and pants. I've been going with 1L = G$1, but that's could be wrong. I think the pre-industrial state of agriculture could be push the price of food up a good deal.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #126
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Curious... I guess a basket full of Vasics looks about the same as a basket full of dirt. But what about the light? Maybe the light isn't going out.
I thought I was running the mining consistently: three rotations per shift. The rotations around when the shift starts and ends he almost never sees.


Quote:
Then I'll go off to buy something to eat. I think I have 3L left.
More arguing over prices!

OK, I think that saves me another real. I guess I'll finish an entry in the light up here, grab a sip of water in the fountain and head back down. Then I'll try to bandage my knees up; don't want to have to rush to get the rags on when I get to the mines.
3L 4s.... which becomes 2L 5s and a chunk of food... I think at this point we'll just have food at 15s, taking in to account haggling so far.


Quote:
I knew it'd be useful!
yeah, its a pretty reliable staple in Lost in Dreams.



Quote:

If you think Julian's got a good enough feel for the price of things. I don't; he's only been at the market to really buy lunch and pants. I've been going with 1L = G$1, but that's could be wrong. I think the pre-industrial state of agriculture could be push the price of food up a good deal.
Yeah, you're quite a bit off. Its a whole number of G$, and its higher than $1. Preindustrial and all that (though frankly this place is pretty wealthy for preindustrial).
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:54 PM   #127
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I thought I was running the mining consistently: three rotations per shift. The rotations around when the shift starts and ends he almost never sees.
So these would be the same as when I get a stone at the beginning of the shift and turn them in at the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
3L 4s.... which becomes 2L 5s and a chunk of food... I think at this point we'll just have food at 15s, taking in to account haggling so far.
Yeah, I think that's prudent. Three times should be enough for a pattern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yeah, you're quite a bit off. Its a whole number of G$, and its higher than $1. Preindustrial and all that (though frankly this place is pretty wealthy for preindustrial).
Hm... Maybe just go off of a meal is 1% CoL, and a set of summer clothes is 10%, so the minimal set of clothes leaves something out to reduce cost by 2pp (shoes maybe?), and everything fits together just fine.

If people around here are living at status 0, I guess that would mean 1L = G$6, despite how poor it seems by comparison to Julian.

--

If people are still around by the time I get back from the market, I'll show off my new pants, hang out for a little while longer, and go to sleep. If not I guess it's right to bed.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:46 AM   #128
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
So these would be the same as when I get a stone at the beginning of the shift and turn them in at the end?
Basically.

Quote:
If people around here are living at status 0, I guess that would mean 1L = G$6, despite how poor it seems by comparison to Julian.
hmmm... we'll run a bit more without knowing the ratio.

Quote:
If people are still around by the time I get back from the market, I'll show off my new pants, hang out for a little while longer, and go to sleep. If not I guess it's right to bed.
There is time. Everyone is really happy to see his trousers, and some of the "big people" look at "Jules" a little less of a scowl.

He sleeps soundly that night.

In the "morning", Brog gets him up again, and the boys congregate before work, playing a sort of variant on tag this time. The Kapatas keeps on throwing glances at them to ensure they don't cause him trouble in some unspecified manner.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:31 PM   #129
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
There is time. Everyone is really happy to see his trousers, and some of the "big people" look at "Jules" a little less of a scowl.
Hm... I guess a little effort does go a long way. Guess I'll get a shirt next. Maybe some shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
In the "morning", Brog gets him up again, and the boys congregate before work, playing a sort of variant on tag this time.
I'll grab something to eat before congregating around.

I'm not the best runner, but I'll give it a go. Maybe we could play freeze tag later or tomorrow.
I wasn't sure if it was HT or DX but they're the same so...
Quote:
[11] 22-05-19 02:27:44 CEST
Tag!
3d6 <= 12
4 + 2 + 6 = 12 ... success
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The Kapatas keeps on throwing glances at them to ensure they don't cause him trouble in some unspecified manner.
I wonder what he's so suspicious about. Maybe he had some difficulties with other child workers before. I don't need to cause any trouble. I don't want to cause any trouble.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:44 PM   #130
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Hm... I guess a little effort does go a long way. Guess I'll get a shirt next. Maybe some shoes.

I'll grab something to eat before congregating around.

I'm not the best runner, but I'll give it a go. Maybe we could play freeze tag later or tomorrow.

I wonder what he's so suspicious about. Maybe he had some difficulties with other child workers before. I don't need to cause any trouble. I don't want to cause any trouble.

I think at this point we have a routine for Julian, yes? What will he be focusing on acomplishing and learning over the next few days?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.