Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2009, 02:06 AM   #21
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Re: GURPS Supers Gameplay Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisbaer Blitzkrieg View Post
Ally Group caps at 100 people.
On the contrary, you can have more than 100 per group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Characters Book, Page 37
Add x6 to the multiplier per tenfold increase in number (e.g., 100,000 Allies would be x30). The GM may require an Unusual Background (p. 96) if you wish to have hordes of Allies, or even prohibit groups larger than a certain size – although he might permit an army or other large group as a Patron.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #22
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Remember that points do NOT equal power level. (Others have already metioned but I do it again: You need to compare Skill, DR and Damage.)
I would second (or third/fourth/whatever) this. Supers vary in abilities so much that you can have a character that's 1/2 the point value be completely invulnerable to attacks that would outright kill the higher PV character. It's much more important to consider the abilities they have purchased than the PV of the character.

Generally I try to get players to focus on having decent attack (ability to wound at least DR50) and a decent defense (survive a 20d+ attack). It helps with the frustration factor.

I'm not against the "Cyclops" or "Storm" type characters w/powerful abilities and normal human frailties; it's just that they tend to spend a lot of time in recovery if they are fortunate enough to pass their life checks.

At the 500point street super level they probably shouldn't be up against military/hunting hardware. Shotguns and pistols might be a lethal enough challenge even on relatively normal thugs.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #23
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
There are many ways to do this.
One is to give him special ultra-tech or magical knives that he buy as sgnature gear or design as a gadget. I would advice focusing on high Armour Divisor instead of high base damage, as that soudns like it would fit him better.
Antoher is to increase his Striking ST, maybe put a -20% limitation on that says "only with knives". Weapon master or Preassure points/preassure secret, could also do the job.
Finally you could also just design them as a melee innate attack and simply rule that the fact that they are knives are a special visual modifier.
Or get Imbuements, specifically the Penetrating Blow skill, for knives.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I would second (or third/fourth/whatever) this. Supers vary in abilities so much that you can have a character that's 1/2 the point value be completely invulnerable to attacks that would outright kill the higher PV character. It's much more important to consider the abilities they have purchased than the PV of the character.

Generally I try to get players to focus on having decent attack (ability to wound at least DR50) and a decent defense (survive a 20d+ attack). It helps with the frustration factor.

I'm not against the "Cyclops" or "Storm" type characters w/powerful abilities and normal human frailties; it's just that they tend to spend a lot of time in recovery if they are fortunate enough to pass their life checks.

At the 500point street super level they probably shouldn't be up against military/hunting hardware. Shotguns and pistols might be a lethal enough challenge even on relatively normal thugs.
Or, if the player's concept for the character really involves no or minimal DR, and no really outstanding Active Defenses, you make up for it with some combination of having them buy Luck for the characters, or allowing the use of Cinematic Combat Rules such as Flesh Wounds and TV Action Violence. This doesn't even have to be for PCs only, it could be available to any 'named' character, which can be helpful when you miscalculate the other way and your heroes are about to take down or even kill your Big Bad mastermind villain with disconcerting ease.

Also, don't ignore the defensive potential of abilities that on the surface look mostly offensive. Cyclops is known for blasting projectiles out of the air and directly countering others' energy beams with his own optic blast, which could involve some type of Enhanced Defense, Power Parries, etc.; Storm generally whips up some weather before laying into her enemies with lightning bolts, which if her Control Weather ability is not an alternate to her Innate Attacks, could mean that she's starting off combat by whipping up winds or fog or what have you to penalize her enemies' attacks by as much as -10; Spider-Man frequently makes shields out of his webbing; you get the idea.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns, power, supers