Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #51
gjc8

Default Re: Infinite worlds: The Earth of Shadowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
Oh, yeah. Totally. Actually, unless you assume that SR is world number three that's at the exact same time as Homeline, there's really no reason to assume that a projector would work there anyway. They generally don't.
Maybe I missed something, but I was under the impression that no one was sure if projectors worked on Shikaku-Mon, for that matter. Infinity is terrified of Shikaku-Mon being a parachronic-capable world, and experimented would expose too much technology.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #52
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc8
Maybe I missed something, but I was under the impression that no one was sure if projectors worked on Shikaku-Mon, for that matter. Infinity is terrified of Shikaku-Mon being a parachronic-capable world, and experimented would expose too much technology.
Infinity doesn't even have any reason to build projectors anywhere but Homeline. Projectors on Homeline are used to send and receive conyeyors from Q3,4, 6 and 7 worlds but there's no set-up that requires a projector on both ends. nothing but conveyors ever goes out.

You'd need to do something strange like take a convoy of semis on I-776 (IW p.79) to build a projector on a Q-2 world to even try and find a situation where you could and did need to build another projector.

Shikaku-mon is on Q-3 so equivalent date worlds don't seem to be that restricted, but whether or not the SR world is in Q6 or 7 (reachable by Centrum) is a key question.

Centrum obviously wouldn't like the SR world but whether or not they'd have the sense to leave it alone is another question.

Just to be clear, if I was reperesenting either side or a third power I'd Red Zone the place. The VITAS plagues are reason enough all by themselves. I looked at VITAS in an SR sourcebook once and it seemed to be as easy to catch as the common cold and had a 50% chance of killing the average human in 24 hours. <shakes head> Red Zone for sure.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 AM   #53
walkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin
I think you deal with the shadow economy only. Especially considering the size of that and the interlinked and continual monitoring of the aboveground economy.
IIRC, the shadow economy is "controlled" by organized crime. But yeah, that's easier than messing around with the corporate court.
walkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #54
Jasonft

Quote:
Infinity doesn't even have any reason to build projectors anywhere but Homeline. Projectors on Homeline are used to send and receive conyeyors from Q3,4, 6 and 7 worlds but there's no set-up that requires a projector on both ends. nothing but conveyors ever goes out.
Actually, this brings up a very interesting point. How sure are the IW powers that the science matches up between them? Maybe each world that is 'Projector capable' has to come up with their own branch of the fundamental science of world-jumping. Has anyone ever been trained in multiple 'schools'?

I always thought they didn't try the dual-projector linkage because projectors don't work on other lines. Did they change this?

As to setting up a safe house/ cover story. In that world I am quite sure there are all *kinds* of little hole in the wall businesses that spring up out of nowhere and eventually vanish the same way. Anyone who noticed and actually cared would simply keep an eye on them and maybe try to track their funding pack to it's source if they got suspicious.

Keep your head down and do nothing exceptional while you monitor the world and you could keep going for quite some time.

VITAS would IMHO 'red list' the world. Especially once they find out it might still be out there and waiting to flare again.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:39 AM   #55
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
First, the big debate over the helio-centric model vs. the geo-centric model of the solar system didn't occur in a period that any history text I've ever heard of considered "the Dark Ages". It was firmly in the Renaissance, the way most people figure it.
Really So you never hear of Aristarchusand Philolaus, as well as several other thinkers who had proposed (or were alleged to have proposed) heliocentric or quasi-heliocentric views, such as Hicetas, Heraclides Ponticus, and Martianus Capella. the idea actually predates the Dark Ages. and that the Point of the Suppression that it was Not till Copernicus and Galileo in the Renaissance was it really possible to truly look at the idea (but not freely)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #56
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
the idea actually predates the Dark Ages. and that the Point of the Suppression that it was Not till Copernicus and Galileo in the Renaissance was it really possible to truly look at the idea (but not freely)
The theory predates the Dark Ages, certainly. However, previous to the Renaissance, none of the people who proposed it had the evidence to back their claims, which was why it wasn't accepted. Which, frankly, is perfectly good science - why should scholars have accepted an alternate hypothesis without supporting evidence?
And I'm still not seeing evidence of "supression" here. In fact, we know about the authors you mentioned because their works were preserved by that organization of reactionary bookburners, the Church.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #57
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
And I'm still not seeing evidence of "supression" here. In fact, we know about the authors you mentioned because their works were preserved by that organization of reactionary bookburners, the Church.
your forget tho same said book burns, even when they burnt books, they did not burn every copy and keep copies of them in the Vatican. since the age of reason Rare book preserved by both Bibliophiles and the Church were re circulated.

areguin "good science practice" being a reason for doing some before the scientific method was invited does not sound wired to you?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #58
walkir

Guys, could you move that discussion elsewhere, please?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #59
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft
Actually, this brings up a very interesting point. How sure are the IW powers that the science matches up between them? Maybe each world that is 'Projector capable' has to come up with their own branch of the fundamental science of world-jumping. Has anyone ever been trained in multiple 'schools'?

I always thought they didn't try the dual-projector linkage because projectors don't work on other lines. Did they change this?

As to setting up a safe house/ cover story. In that world I am quite sure there are all *kinds* of little hole in the wall businesses that spring up out of nowhere and eventually vanish the same way.
It has been suggested that the parachronic science of Centrum is not only slightly advanced from Homeline but actually works on a somewhat different basis. Not much canon on this. It's not like we have a series of official IW adventures or a metaplot that goes with them.

As to setting up businesses, yeah people with SINs do it all the time. It's that System Identification Number that's the issue. Fake I'D's in SR are a big deal.

I suppose a Patrolman could just go and register and claim he'd been born SINless but you're definitely on the radar then (and SR "radar" of this sort is continually watched by big, competent automated systems).

I'd have my Patrolmen operating SINless for a long time before I ever tried this. The existence of such a large undocumented community in an otherwise highly regulated and monitored society would be very attractive to people who can't really explain where they came from.

I do have to say though that having some low level fellow (even with a SIN) just "vanish" wouldn't raise any major red flags.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #60
walkir

Quote:
As to setting up businesses, yeah people with SINs do it all the time. It's that System Identification Number that's the issue. Fake I'D's in SR are a big deal.
SINs are only introduced in 2036, and if we you set it in 2070, they are no real problem for organizations with cash.

Quote:
I suppose a Patrolman could just go and register and claim he'd been born SINless but you're definitely on the radar then (and SR "radar" of this sort is continually watched by big, competent automated systems).
He could try to get employed in a mega and get a SIN that way. IIRC, just registering isn't an option, as SINs mean access to welfare (what's left of that) etc.

Quote:
I'd have my Patrolmen operating SINless for a long time before I ever tried this. The existence of such a large undocumented community in an otherwise highly regulated and monitored society would be very attractive to people who can't really explain where they came from.
But only a real problem for people with the "unique"-disadvantage. Everyone else's double might have a SIN (and raise questions why Mr.X is in his office and in some mall at the same time...) or not.

As Infinity, I'd just get good relationships with the local gang/syndicate/whoever controls the area around the base, set up several "Johnsons" and "Runners" and work the system.

Tags
infinite worlds