Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2007, 03:29 AM   #511
elShoggotho

Default Re: So, how great is Kromm anyway?

An aspiring Prophet of Our Lord should be humble, not advocating his own elevation to prophetness.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:56 AM   #512
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
By this logic, Our Lord KROMM should dislike rules as well. We know this not to be true and are thus forced to conclude that your logic is flawed.

And incidentally, munchkins and rules lawyers are not the same species (although they may be able to interbreed, the resulting offspring would probably be sterile). And munchkins enjoy the favour of KROMM.

It is Adversarial Players that he detests, not players who delight in high-powered adventures. Such Adversarial Players are often Rules Lawyers; but care must be taken not to fall into the fallacy of assuming that all Rules Lawyers are Adversarial Players.
Phile it's true Munchkins and Rules Layers not not the same breed, you just mis discribed a munckin, what you described was a Powergamer. a Munckin do tend to be Adversarial Players, but more inportantly a Munchkin wants power, and will cheat to get it, and they want the most of it.

a Powergammer mearl likes high powered games, they don't have the be the most powerful, and cheating to get it don't appeal to them as a trend.

Rule-Lawers are weired breed, and can use the poweras for the good or the harm of the group. they as a whole revel in the rules, in how they interact abd understanding them, thouse that are on the side of light will use they knowledge to speed up the game by suppliying the infor other are trying to recall. those that turn to the dark side, are selctect in their interpatation so that the the rule look only to their favor.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:59 AM   #513
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by elShoggotho
An aspiring Prophet of Our Lord should be humble, ...
Ice, you're out.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:31 AM   #514
Jame

Quote:
An aspiring Prophet of Our Lord should be humble, not advocating his own elevation to prophetness.
Which is why KROMM is not a prophet, but instead accounted among the deities of Our Holy, Beloved SJGAMES Pantheon.

Zorg is correct, though; Icelander is out (as are you, elShoggotho, and as am I).

http://www.coinich.com/traveller/portal.php is a Traveller site for a campaign in the Greater Boston, MA, USA area.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #515
Icelander

Quote:
I was correcting a fallacious argument, not advocating any particular point of view.

It is a common mistake to believe that believing a given argument for a conclusion to be wrong automatically means that one favours the opposite conclusion.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #516
elShoggotho

We can go two ways now: we can establish that no human being will ever meet the criteria to be named Prophet of KROMM, or we can establish a rule that says "Everyone is a Prophet of KROMM", much like Discordianism makes everyone a pope/mome.

Debunking other people's arguments just for the sake of it generally is seen as belligrent behaviour. Nice try, by the way. If I didn't know better, I could just be fooled into thinking that you wouldn't mind, Icelander.

Last edited by elShoggotho; 02-07-2007 at 06:23 PM.
elShoggotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #517
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Ice, you're out.
Just as well, as I do not aspire to any position within the Holy Mother Thread, as I have clearly stated before:

This also is Icelander's testimony, when the Forumites sent to him a deputation of Priests and Inquisitors from The Holy Mother Thread to ask him who he was.

He avowed--he did not conceal the truth, but avowed, "I am not KROMM."

"What then?" they inquired; "are you the High Priest?" "I am not," he said. "Are you the Prophet?" "No," he answered.

So they pressed the question. "Who are you?" they said--"that we may take an answer to those who sent us. What account do you give of yourself?"

"I am the voice," he replied, "of one crying aloud, 'Make straight the Lord's way in the Forums,' fulfilling the words of the Prophet Isaiah."

They were Pharisees who had been sent.

Again they questioned him. "Why then do you baptise," they said, "if you are neither KROMM nor High Priest nor the Prophet?"

"I baptise with posts only," Icelander answered, "but in your midst stands One whom you do not know--

He who is to come after me, and whose sandal-strap I am not worthy to unfasten."

All hail Lord KROMM!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #518
Icelander

Quote:
Debunking other people's arguments just for the sake of it generally is seen as belligrent behaviour.
Really?

I see it as my duty to oppose wooly thinking, fallacious arguments and false logic wheresoever I might encounter them.

I should think people would be grateful to learn where they made a mistake. They can then do better next time.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #519
elShoggotho

That's the main problem. Your concept of fallacy is personally biased, as everyone's is, to include certain lines of thinking as inherently faulty. In that way, also due to your way of arguing, no one will be grateful. Your fault is to see your point of view as the objective point, which is neither true nor can ever be true for any being.

Or, to put it in a more Zen way, also to please Our Lord KROMM, I'll just give one advice.

Do not pull the grass to make it larger, let it grow. Do it like the distillers who put the bottle around the pear blossom to have a full size pear in their schnapps. In the end, everything will work out fine.

Last edited by elShoggotho; 02-07-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:17 AM   #520
elShoggotho

I have to elaborate upon my former statement. Of course, there is one being without error: Alas, Our Lord KROMM surely is without fault, how else could He be the Great Line Editor?

Last edited by elShoggotho; 02-08-2007 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Bad English. ARRRRR!

Tags
kromm