Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
KBH

Default ([Hyper] Dense / Reinforced) Chitin as Damage Resistance

Hi,

I just came up to build a Genestealer from WH40k with a rather powerful build.

What remains is the costs of the Damage Resistance.

Regarding the crunch, I follow loosely the numbers of FFG's Deathwatch where a Genestealer has approx. 40% protection of a Space Marine's Power Armour.

Since I take the Powered Combat Armor (UT p. 183) as a Space Marine's Power Armour, I end up with an expected DR of 0.4 x 70/50 = 28/20.

However, to buy these high values of protection via DR I'd have to pay at least 28 x 5 = 140 CP!!!

So ...

* I wonder if there is any official GURPS damage resistance beyond the natural limit of 5, which I take from B46, for some reasoning.
* Agreed to conver the setting - not the rules - I just wonder if this (rather high DR in GURPS terms) is somehow managable
* I am usually told to ignore the distinct CP builds for NSCs and monsters but I'd like to apply them if possible to get a feeling of the value of the build.

Any advice is welcome.

Last edited by KBH; 02-23-2020 at 02:06 PM.
KBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
Dustin

Default Re: ([Hyper] Dense / Reinforced) Chitin as Damage Resistance

Natural chitinous armor might be ablative or semi-ablative, or even have different layers down to a DR 5 non-ablative "core".

Also, GURPS Powers (p.53) includes a version of Injury Tolerance that acts as a damage divisor for injury received after DR. For example, a damage divisor of 2 costs 50 pts. You might mix and match these to reduce the cost of protection.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
Donny Brook

Is there any kind of armor available that can go over the chitin? If not, the Cannor Wear Armor limitation would apply. And if it's a biological part of him and doesn't protect against Contact Agents, there's another Limitation.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
KBH

Hi,
thank you very much for your feedback.

I took Can't wear Armor as well as Semi-Ablative, i.e., a final DR of 20 is worth 56 CP.

That should suffice for a further test-run.
KBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:45 PM   #5
Plane

Space Marines could probably buy their power armor as an ally, which makes the price of DR way cheaper.

Makes me wonder about the idea of a Tortoise buying his shell as an Ally or something along those lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBH View Post
I wonder if there is any official GURPS damage resistance beyond the natural limit of 5, which I take from B46, for some reasoning.
I'm pretty sure that 1-5 range is just talking about earth creatures. I don't think it's intended to limit aliens. I'd just fit them under 'supers'.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
Anders

Agreed. 40K isn't exactly a realistic setting.