Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #21
Magic_Octopus

Default Re: GURPS On Demand: Your Experiences

1) Not yet!
2) -
3) The cost versus need. The prices are not bargains, and I need to justify my purchases with better arguments than "just because I want it". I have over 50 books already, and not using many of them.

Bonus: The Dungeon Fantasy series, because they are the most useful to me at the moment. And printing the stuff on my own is not great.
Magic_Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #22
Arcanjo7Sagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We've been running the GURPS On Demand experiment for a few years now, and so far there are dozens of books available through this print-on-demand service.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/ondemand/

Today we are asking:

* Have you ordered GURPS On Demand books?
* If you did, how fast was the delivery?
* If you have not, why?

Bonus: What other books would you like to see released as a part of this program?
1 - Yes! I recently bought World War II core rulebook and Weird War II. In the past few months I have also bought others, such as Supers, Infinite Worlds, High-Tech, Transhuman Space and How to be a GURPS GM. Perhaps one of these was from Amazon here in Brazil, I'm not sure, but I imagine they must have come from POD too.

2 - Fast. No more than a week. And I live in Brazil, in a city close to Rio de Janeiro.

Bonus: I'm looking forward to Psionic Powers and WWII supplements (especially Dogfaces, Red Tide and Iron Cross).
Old 02-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #23
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Octopus View Post
Bonus: The Dungeon Fantasy series, because they are the most useful to me at the moment. And printing the stuff on my own is not great.
+1 (to both your points). Really any of the 4e stuff that is only currently available only as PDF. It looks to me like most of those are B&W anyway, so the POD treatment wouldn’t be loosing the color that the some of the titles deserve. But like @namada wrote, I want the title on the spine! Does Amazon POD provide that now for most titles?

But I realize now I have not answered the questioned asked, sorry about that.
  1. War Against the Chorr is the only 3e title I might be willing to pay Amazon POD prices for. I understand if that one is not high on your list!
  2. Prisoner. I have this one, but have been considering trying to sell it because of the consistently high prices being asked on Amazon. $50! I am sure there are other titles like that, and scanning for those could be a good way to gauge interest for POD.

Last edited by beetle496; 02-07-2020 at 08:59 AM.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #24
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
But I realize now I have not answered the questioned asked, sorry about that.
  1. War Against the Chorr
  2. Prisoner.
I don't work for SJGames, so this is not an official answer, but both of those books fall within the realm of licensed worldbooks. Any work that is licensed where the license has lapsed requires a license renewal in order to make it available in digital, POD, or even a standard reprint. Given the costs of renewing a license they are extremely unlikely to be brought back. Not impossible - they managed to get a license to bring the GURPS Conan books to digital - but still unlikely to happen.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #25
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I don't work for SJGames, so this is not an official answer, but both of those books fall within the realm of licensed worldbooks. Any work that is licensed where the license has lapsed requires a license renewal in order to make it available in digital, POD, or even a standard reprint.
Pretty much what Eric said. Additionally, both of these are older properties where the return on investment for the license is likely very limited. CONAN has more staying power and thus the investment in renewing the license made more sense.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #26
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Pretty much what Eric said. Additionally, both of these are older properties where the return on investment for the license is likely very limited. CONAN has more staying power and thus the investment in renewing the license made more sense.
Prisoner in particular I think could benefit from a Fourth Edition conversion. But I'm not sure the specific setting is the key draw, nor enough to cover licencing.
But a Social Engineering treatment of that kind of closed environment dynamics could work pretty well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:27 PM   #27
seycyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Octopus View Post
Another vote for any/all of the DF series. I've got a few players that would get these POD as well.

1) Yes
2) Delivery was ok. Not as quick as Amazon Prime, but fast enough.
3) NA

Bonus: DF series! And get some Cover art for the ones that are lacking.
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:51 AM   #28
pgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We've been running the GURPS On Demand experiment for a few years now, and so far there are dozens of books available through this print-on-demand service.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/ondemand/

Today we are asking:

* If you have not, why?

Bonus: What other books would you like to see released as a part of this program?
1) No, I haven't
2) N/A
3) For ethical reasons, I avoid Amazon if at all possible.

If there were a non-Amazon version, I would probably have picked up one or two of these by now, if only to experiment. Depending on how that went, I could see myself buying quite a few, but for many purposes I'm OK with PDF. I'm potentially interested in both 3e (as resources for 4e) and 4e, but haven't looked in detail at what's currently available in this way.

Paul.
pgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #29
night-hunter

No

N/A

* If you have not, why?
I can print the PDFs if I need a hard copy. Also, the PDFs have the capability of being searched for specific words rather than relying on the very inadequate indexes of most volumes.
night-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #30
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

1. No.
2. NA
3. My physical GURPS collection is...extensive. I've already got most of 3rd edition as well as a lot of 4e hardbacks.

I'd like to see more of the 4e PDFs made available in physical form, Action and Treasure Tables in particular (already have Spaceships and some of the DF printed volumes). I can print them, but I'd prefer real bound volumes to hole-punched binders.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote