Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
GuyMacon

Default Save Game / Load Game

During the Nightfall campaign, When I saved my game right after the Ogres finished moving and firing, so of course I as able to move/fire/GEV move as usual.

When I tried loading the game I saved, the Ogres moved and fired, making me miss my move. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I never have this problem with the board game, where I sometimes take a picture of the board and the Ogre stats... (smile) Back in the day I used a Polaroid Square Shooter instant camera. Now I use my cellphone.
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Save Game / Load Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMacon View Post
During the Nightfall campaign, When I saved my game right after the Ogres finished moving and firing, so of course I as able to move/fire/GEV move as usual.

When I tried loading the game I saved, the Ogres moved and fired, making me miss my move. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I never have this problem with the board game, where I sometimes take a picture of the board and the Ogre stats... (smile) Back in the day I used a Polaroid Square Shooter instant camera. Now I use my cellphone.
It's probably a bug. The save/load is weird. Now that I don't need it, I'll probably do some more testing. I didn't want to rely on it while working through the scenarios.

And yes, pictures are awesome. Old-school is still the most reliable. ;-)
Old 10-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #3
offsides

One thing I noticed is that if you save during your firing phase, when you restore it's back in your first movement phase. This means that you can move units that have already fired but still have movement left, giving them an improper second (or third, in the case of GEVs) movement phase. I need to submit that as a bug, but I haven't had time to play the last few days to do so...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:35 AM   #4
GuyMacon

One small thing to add to the feature requests after the big stuff is all done; a mode that disables saving and loading. This is a bit like doing a sudoku in ink pen (something I also do) -- it adds a bit of a challenge.
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #5
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMacon View Post
One small thing to add to the feature requests after the big stuff is all done; a mode that disables saving and loading. This is a bit like doing a sudoku in ink pen (something I also do) -- it adds a bit of a challenge.
Hardcore mode is fun, but it also means you have to finish the entire game in one sitting. Perhaps a better way is to have the save get either deleted or flagged as no longer playable when it gets loaded so that you can save and quit but not save, play and restore. Not sure how to make that work though...
Old 10-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
Netzilla

Have an 'Iron Man' mode that forces the user to have a single save file that is overwritten at the start of each turn and when the game is exited.
Netzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Hardcore mode is fun, but it also means you have to finish the entire game in one sitting.
Not the whole game, just each scenario. They are discreet elements and you get a fresh start on each one. That's more than doable (and how I play it anyway). I don't actually use the save/load in the game because the couple times early that I did, it broke. It was better to just play through than worry about saving.

Now that I'm through, I'm looking at testing the save/load to see what works, what doesn't, etc.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Not the whole game, just each scenario. They are discreet elements and you get a fresh start on each one.
In this case, I meant scenario, as in "1 game of Ogre/G.E.V." Sorry, my age is showing again :P

And for the record, even an hour can be too long of a time for me to be able to sit down and play these days. Sometimes I end up saving and quitting right after I finish deployment...
Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

In "The Beginning of End" my loaded save games give me control of the Nightfall units. Since the game is also freezing on movement mid-game it looks like I won't be finishing the campaign until they fix it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
offsides

I submitted a bug overnight about corruption in the save/load process. I was playing the reactor mission and I had a HVY and MSL that would revert to their original positions in pristine condition upon every load. I did some testing and it would even restore to the "unfired" state on load, and since all loaded games start in the most recent player's movement turn, I could move, fire, save, load and then move and fire again with the same unit in the same turn. It only happened with those 2 units, but I also had a situation where a HVY was disabled by fire, I saved and restored, and it was put back in its original position and no longer disabled.

I suspect there's a sneaky bug in how games are saved in the first place, and once it corrupts the save state it messes things up from then on forward...