Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
Not

Default AITM?

I took 3 levels of gizmos to offset absent-mindedness. Munchkin or no?
Old 02-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: AITM?

How is it offsetting Absent-Mindedness?
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:28 AM   #3
Anders

I wish I had that in real life. "Oh I forgot my key... no, here they are."
Old 02-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
clu2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
How is it offsetting Absent-Mindedness?
In Basic Set for sure, absent-mindedness gives you a chance to forget mundane objects. I’d say a GM would be within their rights to not let you Gizmo for something you failed your IQ roll to remember. Possibly allow it but take more time. “I forget my keys so often I keep a spare, now where did I hide it?”
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
In Basic Set for sure, absent-mindedness gives you a chance to forget mundane objects. I’d say a GM would be within their rights to not let you Gizmo for something you failed your IQ roll to remember. Possibly allow it but take more time. “I forget my keys so often I keep a spare, now where did I hide it?”
That is what I was thinking too.

For the OP. If you own an item but did not bring it, you can use gizmo, but that will require an IQ-2 roll, if you fail that roll then not only is the usage of gizmo gone, but you do not get the item. You really did forget it!
Old 02-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
That is what I was thinking too.

For the OP. If you own an item but did not bring it, you can use gizmo, but that will require an IQ-2 roll, if you fail that roll then not only is the usage of gizmo gone, but you do not get the item. You really did forget it!
Harsh! And it vastly diminishes the utility of Gizmo. Maybe calls for a limitation?
Old 02-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
Dalin

I'd have to see how this worked in play. Honestly, in 25 years of playing GURPS, with plenty of absent minded characters, I don't think I've ever seen a DF-style game where the "trivial items" clause has been invoked. Most DF characters have a specific inventory on their sheet and don't have things like car keys to remember. The other aspects of the disadvantage comprise the bulk of the points and no amount of Gizmos will mitigate that.

Plus, I could almost see more roleplaying possibilities with the combination. Lots of time spent trying to find things that you forgot. Maybe you rule that the invocation of Gizmos takes time when it potentially mitigates Absent Mindedness. So you spend a few minutes searching through your backpack to finally find your tinderbox or whatever. This way it still has an impact in combat situations. The rest of the time it adds good RP fluff. Beyond that, I probably wouldn't sweat it.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Harsh! And it vastly diminishes the utility of Gizmo. Maybe calls for a limitation?
A disadvantage that does not give you a disadvantage is not a disadvantage.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #9
mburr0003

Quote:
No.

Absent-minded will get to rear it's Disadvantaging head before, during, and after every encounter, at the outset of every mission, start and end of every day, etc, to see if your Character has forgotten or overlooked something.

3 levels of Gizmo will just let you overcome 3 times your Character failed to remember some piece of gear from his loadout, but it won't help them to spot the gobbos sneaking up while they're checking for secret doors (Absent-minded Characters are at -5 to secondary tasks while focused), it won't help you to have remembered to lock the door open when you came through, etc.

No, Munchkin is putting Absent-minded on the IQ 17+ Wizard (who will keep buying up their IQ) since they'll almost never fail their rolls because of Absent-mindedness.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Ineffective. Gizmo only works on objects you could have been carrying, and if you fail your IQ-2 roll for Absent-Minded, you definitely weren't carrying it.