Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 02-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
larsdangly

Default A Legacy Edition version of Advantages of Great Strength

The advantages of great strength got nerfed in Legacy Edition; whatever the designer's thoughts might have been, I don't think it is terribly important that these original rules are gone because the new XP rules mean very few characters will reach ST scores of 18+ anyway.

But, there is a very good reason to put something else in their place: to further open up the range of character types that are sufficiently competitive in combat that players will consider creating them. In particular, as it stands there is very little incentive to raise your ST above 16, as the only thing you get is a bit higher damage with HTH and clubs, slightly harder to incapacitate/kill, and the option of using some 2H weapons with 1H. These are not negligible, and if stat totals often reached well into the 40's you would see people going for ST scores of 20 or more, but they do not really compensate for the low DX and IQ you have to take when stat totals are unlikely to rise above 38-40.

So, I suggest the following house rules that make characters with ST 17-24 (or so) competitive enough that you might seriously consider having one:

• A damage bonus +1 damage with melee and thrown weapons per full 2 pts above minimum ST requirement for that weapon, up to a maximum damage bonus of 2 points per ‘die’ in the weapon’s base damage. This damage bonus is a modifier to the base damage, and thus is multiplied on double or triple damage results.
This ST-based damage bonus does not apply to:
— Weapons that lack a ST requirement
— Missile weapons
— Bola, Lasso, Net, Whip
— The optional weapons presented in my 'Cidri Armory' file (posted elsewhere here): Cat-o-nine-tails, Dirk, Garote, Jitte, Kiseru, Kyotetsu-shoge, Tanto

•The DX and MA penalties for worn armor and shields are reduced by 1 point at ST 18 and 2 points at ST 22

•Any combatant with a base ST of 20 or higher receives 1 point of 'Toughness' automatically. This can be in addition to the Toughness talent if you know it.

•The 'thrown object' rules from ITL are in effect.

•Do not use the Legacy Edition rule regarding use of 2H weapons in 1H (this is effectively superseded by the damage bonus rule above; in any case, it is not a great rule, as anyone familiar with these sorts of weapons will recognize that you can't really use a very long weapon in 1H just because you are strong).

Last edited by larsdangly; 02-15-2020 at 01:13 PM.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
FireHorse

Default Re: A Legacy Edition version of Advantages of Great Strength

I like the sound of all those ideas. That would put some more Sword in the Sorcery.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
Skarg

Those look good. The only part I might want to tweak further might be the armor reduction. The original system was more complex (in an interesting worthwhile way, I thought) and more generous for lighter armor. I'd have to dwell on the specifics though.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #4
TippetsTX

I have similar rules in my game...

Melee weapons do +1 damage for every three points over the minimum required ST or +2 damage if the weapon is two-handed.

Using two-handed weapons in one hand requires ST to be at least five points over the required value, but I agree that shouldn't work unless the character is considerably bigger than a typical human (larger grip). I may just replace this with rules for larger-scale weapons.

Armor also has minimum ST requirements in my game and I reduce the MA penalty by 1 for every five points over that figure.

I will typically let characters start chucking heavy furniture around starting at 16 ST. Damage will vary, however, based on the ST used, object size and material.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #5
larsdangly

A ST requirement for armor and shields is a good idea. But one has to think carefully about the values you set, as a ST requirement plus a DX penalty can quickly add up to what amounts to a required stat distribution for each armor type, which can be limiting (in sort of the same way people have noted about high levels of Unarmed Combat talent).
Old 02-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #6
larsdangly

And I actually removed the 'thrown object' rule in my list, as I don't like house rules that functionally duplicate RAW.