Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
ajardoor

Default [RPM] Post your rituals here

What the title says; Ritual Path Magic write-ups for spells you've created.

Neck Breaker
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Body + Lesser Control Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Internal Crushing
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This conditional ritual allows the caster to trigger with a word and a gesture, twisting the neck bones of the subject (within 10 yards, 3d+1 crushing damage) and breaking it if it's fatal. The ritual is resisted.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Damage, Internal Crushing 3d+1 (9) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 26 energy (26x1).

Bolt From the Blue
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy + Lesser Control Magic + Greater Control Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Burning Explosive (Surge).
Greater Effects: 2 (x5).

This conditional ritual causes the subject to be struck by lightning from above when triggered, but it requires the subject (within 10 yards) to under an open sky. It does 5d burning explosive damage with a surge modifier (Powers page 102). The effect is visible and blatant, and thus can be dodged. Roll against Innate Attack to hit, but you cannot Aim, All-Out Attack, etc. The effect happens as soon as the caster triggers it. If the weather is already stormy, this ritual does not need the Greater Create Energy effect.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Greater Control Energy (5) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Damage, External Burning Explosive 5d (Surge, +20%) (10). 150 energy (30x5).

Over to you guys!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Dalillama

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

A bit of thread necromancy to post this. Does this look correct to folks?
Long Range:
Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Energy+ Lesser Control Magic
Inherent Modifiers: Range, skill bonus
This ritual allows the user to charge a bullet with mystic
energy. When fired, the ½ damage and max ranges are doubled and the user can ignore up to -2 in range penalties

Typical Casting: Lesser Strengthen Energy (3)+Lesser Control Magic(5)+ skill bonus +2 (Narrow) (2) 10 energy

Last edited by Dalillama; 02-28-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
A bit of thread necromancy to post this. Does this look correct to folks?
Long Range:
Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Energy+ Lesser Control Magic
Inherent Modifiers: Range, skill bonus
This ritual allows the user to charge a bullet with mystic
energy. When fired, the ½ damage and max ranges are doubled and the user can ignore up to -2 in range penalties

Typical Casting: Lesser Strengthen Energy (3)+Lesser Control Magic(5)+
Range (1.14 mi) (18) + skill bonus +2 (Narrow) (2) 28 energy
You don't need Range. You're affecting the bullet itself.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Dalillama

Calm Herd:
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Mind
Inherent Modifiers:Area of Effect
This ritual calms all animals in the area of effect, canceling the effects of any recent Fright Checks or other upsets. It is useful for heading off a stampede.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Mind(5)+ Subject Weight (3,000 lbs) (5)+Area of Effect (1.14 mi) (36) 46 energy
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
Terwin

Create mirror realm:
Create Crossroads, Body, Mind, Matter, Magic(all greater) +30
Subject weight: 4050 tons (2x largest tree wet weight) +12
Area of effect: 10K mile radius (Earth has 8K mile radius) +84
Duration: 100 years +1210
sub total: 1336
x11(5 greater) = 14696

This ritual creates a magical alternate earth in it's own dimension.
Not happy with the world you were born into? Create your own!
(don't forget to maintain it regularly though)

Note: cost drops to 12024 if none of the created species are intelligent
Note: Cost is 1826 if long duration optional rules are in effect, or 1925 for 1000 years

Question:
If you cast a ritual with a duration of 1 month, then the next day maintain it for 11 energy, is the remaining duration 30 or 59 days?
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwin View Post
Create mirror realm:
Create Crossroads, Body, Mind, Matter, Magic(all greater) +30
Subject weight: 4050 tons (2x largest tree wet weight) +12
Area of effect: 10K mile radius (Earth has 8K mile radius) +84
Duration: 100 years +1210
sub total: 1336
x11(5 greater) = 14696

This ritual creates a magical alternate earth in it's own dimension.
Not happy with the world you were born into? Create your own!
(don't forget to maintain it regularly though)

Note: cost drops to 12024 if none of the created species are intelligent
Note: Cost is 1826 if long duration optional rules are in effect, or 1925 for 1000 years

Question:
If you cast a ritual with a duration of 1 month, then the next day maintain it for 11 energy, is the remaining duration 30 or 59 days?
You add the Duration directly. So if you maintain it for for 1 day and then pump more energy into it to increase the duration you'd add another 30 to the duration. PK posted something on this recently, but I don't remember where exactly. It was back when I was staying awake for 5 or 6 days straight - and my memory goes to crap when that happens.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
ajardoor

Meteor Barrage
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Burning (Multiple Projectile, Guided).
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

6d burning
RoF 1x3
Ignore range penalties, travels 10/yards per seconds, requires Concentrate each turn until it hits, miss if lose sight of target
100 Max
Acc 3
Rcl 1
See B412 for info on Guided attacks.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Burning 6d (RoF 1x3 +50%, Guided +50%) (24). 90 energy (30x3).

Spectral Razor
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Internal Cutting (Selective Effect).
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

If target within 5 yards fails to resist, he is slashed as if by an invisible blade for 2d+2 cutting damage that ignores DR and the caster may choose to target a hit location.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Damage, Internal Cutting 2d+2 (Selective Effect, +20%) (13) + Range, 5 yards (2) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 23 energy (23x1).

Atlas Flexed
Spell Effect: Greater Strengthen Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, increased ST.

The subject of the spell (the caster or touched by the caster by default) has their ST increased by 5 for 10 minutes.

Typical Casting: Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Altered Trait, +5 ST (50) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 171 energy (57x3).

I Prepared Explosive Runes Today (or "Uh-oh! Looks like you clicked the wrong square!")
Spell Effect: Greater Create Energy + Lesser Control Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Burning (Explosive 1).

This spell is cast as a charm on a piece of paper with writing on it, which is then usually folded up for safety reasons. When anyone reads the writing on the paper charm, it triggers the spell to create an fiery explosion with the paper as its 'point of impact' (ground zero). The explosion's damage is 4d burning.
See B104 and B414 for rules on explosions.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Burning 4d (Explosive 1 +50%) (14) + Lesser Control Magic (5). 75 energy (25x3).
Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
I Prepared Explosive Runes Today (or "Uh-oh! Looks like you clicked the wrong square!")
Spell Effect: Greater Create Energy + Lesser Control Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Burning (Explosive 1).

This spell is cast as a charm on a piece of paper with writing on it, which is then usually folded up for safety reasons. When anyone reads the writing on the paper charm, it triggers the spell to create an fiery explosion with the paper as its 'point of impact' (ground zero). The explosion's damage is 4d burning.
See B104 and B414 for rules on explosions.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Burning 4d (Explosive 1 +50%) (14) + Lesser Control Magic (5). 75 energy (25x3).
Requiring the target read the charm is probably a bit much for a charm trigger - you'll probably need something like Lesser Sense Mind tossed on to handle that bit. As for the explosion, RPM actually lets you make external spells explosive simply by reducing the multiplier to 2x (rather than 3x) - you need to just start with a spell that does 2d damage, which is only 4 energy.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Requiring the target read the charm is probably a bit much for a charm trigger - you'll probably need something like Lesser Sense Mind tossed on to handle that bit. As for the explosion, RPM actually lets you make external spells explosive simply by reducing the multiplier to 2x (rather than 3x) - you need to just start with a spell that does 2d damage, which is only 4 energy.
1) Yeah, I was not sure if the trigger would cover it without the Sense effect...
2) I already did the 2x for explosive external. The modifier for it is +50%, which adds 10 energy for a burning attack.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
2) I already did the 2x for explosive external. The modifier for it is +50%, which adds 10 energy for a burning attack.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought you essentially had the option to drop from 3x to 2x and get Explosive 1 in return, not that tacking on Explosive (at any level) via Enhancements dropped the multiplier from 3x to 2x. The text appears to lack any example of an explosive ritual, but the example quasi-ritual Path of Energy botch is External Explosive Burning 4d for 4 energy, indicating you do not need to toss on an extra 10 energy to make it explosive. I'd say that +50% (+10 energy) would boost it to Explosive 2 (which may be useful for Explosive Runes and the like), +100% (+20 energy) to Explosive 3.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology