Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 05-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Dammann

Default #grouplist woes

I am writing a Template that offers a choice from among all the wizardly spells to a character. The trouble is, such a long list can lead to an Overflow error, so I decided to use a #grouplist. It seemed to solve the issue with Overflow, but there is a new problem that seems to result.

Among the spells are several which are cloned as (Holy), (Druidic), (Clerical), etc. My Group includes the spells written in the format:
SP:Spellname
SP:Spellname Next
SP:Spellafter That
... and so on. Yet in the select menu that pops up when I apply the template, the cloned, renamed version with the name extension is what is showing.

Is there a way to prevent that? Do I have to clone all the spells and give them an acceptable name extension?
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: #grouplist woes

Wait, are you creating a custom group containing spells? Is there some reason you can't use the existing group <AllSpellsMagical>?

I'm not seeing duplication problems with that group in traits which use it. Load Magic, Dungeon Fantasy 1, and Power-Ups 2 - Perks and looking at the Charms (%SpellList%) and the only spells present are the Wizardly/Magical ones, none of the clones for Holy/Unholy/Druidic are there.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Dammann

I was being mildly ambitious, and creating a more limited Group of Spells, observing all the restrictions on Wizardly Spells as prescribed by DF1:20. I use the #grouplist in a selectX that references this list, which doesn't contain any name extensions to indicate clerical or holy or whatever, yet many of these extensions show in the selection menu that the template prompts.

Weird, right?

The selectX() looks like this:
Spoiler:  

continued in the next post...
Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Dammann

... and the group looks like this:
Spoiler:  

wait, there's more in the next post...
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Dammann

... ok, that should be it:
Spoiler:  

So that is a long list, but shorter than the AllSpellsMagical list. Maybe SelectX works differently from #ChoiceList when working with Groups?

Maybe I should test this out with a List instead of a Group. I learn so much by simply copying what others have done, but I read somewhere that Lists are the way of the future, and Groups are a holdover from the early days of GCA.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Dammann

I made a test trait with the same text as the Charms Advantage, save using my Group, and it works correctly there. Suspecting selectX() more and more...
Old 05-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Dammann

Ha, happens when I sub the AllSpellsList to the selectX(). Thought so.

Off to figure out how to parse the List in a #list()...
Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Dammann

Oh, wait... Lists are just sets of text, while Groups are sets of Traits. Can I even use a #list in a list() tag?

Looks like, but I see that I had it backward; List is the old way of doing things, and Groups are newer. I could have sworn I saw that reversed somewhere. I also see that I should use the LI: prefix.

So basically, like this:
Code:
select9(_
	text("Select ten points in wizardly spells."),
	pointswanted(10),
	itemswanted(atleast 2),
		list(_
			#list(LI:WizardlySpellsl, flags(NoPrefix))_
		),
	),
I'll report back for the sake of future fumblers like me.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
Oh, wait... Lists are just sets of text, while Groups are sets of Traits. Can I even use a #list in a list() tag?

Looks like, but I see that I had it backward; List is the old way of doing things, and Groups are newer. I could have sworn I saw that reversed somewhere. I also see that I should use the LI: prefix.
Well, not exactly. Theoretically List and Groups should be roughly identical in capabilities, with the note that as you've mentioned Lists are meant to be just text while Groups are actual traits. The problem is that, due to some miscommunications between Armin and myself, some needed functionality was added for handling Groups and #GroupLists that was not added for handling Lists. Without that functionality some of the nicer things for generating and handling the #GroupLists cannot be done. So, for the time being in order to keep the newer templates that use that functionality working correctly we are stuck using Groups instead of Lists.

Hopefully with the next version of GCA we can revisit some of that functionality and get Lists working the way we want them so that we can correct the issues we've spotted.

As a sidenote, one of the issues we have is that while Lists are something that is meant to be internal to the GCA Program Groups are attached to the character, meaning that the contents of the Groups are saved in a character file. This artificially inflates the size of saved characters by a not insignificant margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I was being mildly ambitious, and creating a more limited Group of Spells, observing all the restrictions on Wizardly Spells as prescribed by DF1:20.
You can remove traits from a Group, allowing you to limit available items in these giant lists. The basic format is:

#DeleteFromGroup GR:AllSkills SK:Armoury (Battlesuits)

As another sidenote, removing items from Groups is one of the pieces of functionality that wasn't added to Lists.

Also note that the file GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Remove Unnecessary Traits.GDF already removes pretty much all spells that are inappropriate for Dungeon Fantasy given the guidelines in DF1:20, both from the Spell window and from the AllSpells group. We might quibble over which spells, specifically, should on those lists given the loose wording in Dungeon Fantasy, but the list is there and anybody looking to impose those kinds of campaign restrictions ought to be loading that file anyways.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 05-28-2013 at 12:49 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #10
Dammann

I am so excited about that new iteration of GCA. But I am a patient kind of excited. The longer the wait, the more likely it will do things I hope for.

Aside from the typo in the example I posted, using a List instead of a Group seems to have done the trick. I wonder about what's behind this interaction between Lists/Groups and #ChoiceLists/selectX(). Why did name extensions append to some of the spells in that group? Many were cloned and endowed with multiple different extensions, but only one instance of each spell showed. I am guessing sequence in the load played some role? Anyway, glad to have a solution, but still curious what the problem was all about.

I have seldom used GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Remove Unnecessary Traits.GDF in the past, as I allow a lot of off-template development in my own campaign. I am pleased that the data files were written in such a way as to allow that so easily. I know that the Wizard Spell List is a sort of debatable set, but I want something for a data file I'm working on that matched the RAW as closely as possible. I started a thread a couple of days ago in the GURPS forum to discuss it. No one has thus far been disputing the (600+ item) list I posted there, although people are relating the different ways that they have dealt with the apparent contradictions in DF1.

Can you use #DeleteFromGroup within a template? For example, if I wanted to simply prune the AllSpellsMagical, but only for a particular template, is that possible? Or is this a command that will affect the Group for all templates and traits when the datafile has been loaded? I vaguely remember wanting to do something like this for some reason about a month ago, but cannot remember for the life of me what I was doing.