Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
GHod

Default Qusetion on a Feature

I'm running 4th ed GCA with more than a couple Home brew addons. I have a character who just lost access too his Clerical Magic. Say F-you to the God has a tendency for Problems. I don't want to take everything off my character in case I find a way to reactivate them. I would like to Hide them so I don't have so much clutter.

Is there such a feature and I just haven't found the right Unlock code yet.. :D
GHod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Qusetion on a Feature

There's not a built in way that's really easy and fun to use.

However, you *can* hide things if you'd like to, in the same way that components of meta-traits are usually hidden.

You must manually edit the traits, and add the tag hide(yes) to them. This will generally prevent them from appearing in GCA, but you can still see them by using Show > Hidden in each of the Character lists where you've hidden them. That way, you can find them to un-hide them again later.

So, as I said, not really easy and fun, but certainly doable.

As an alternative, or additional option, you could create a Parent item for the things you want to hide, and then ignore that block, or just hide(yes) the parent to hide the entire group at once. A bit less work if you want to hide a lot of traits, since making children is easier than adding lots of new tags.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Angel Darkover

One way you could handle it is to right-click the trait (from the appropriate trait tab) and select Disable > Bonuses Granted. This will remove any benefits gained from the Power Investiture advantage. As far as simply existing, such as spells, I would then follow Armin's advice and lump them into a parent container. With that said, if you have spells from other sources and they intermix freely, you could have false positives on spell prereqs being met. If there is no mixing, you can simply ignore all of the clerical spells. If there IS mixing, then you may need to adjust the points invested into each spell to 0 (and then check all spell needs) to show which spells are affected. You can track points invested into the spells somewhere else; either an independent spreadsheet or perhaps an element of the character like the session log or player notes.

The objective is to be able to get back to where you were in the future. With that in mind, the simplest approach I see (and how I personally would handle it) is to simply save a copy of the character as-is, renaming the character file with a descriptive addition to the name like "with clerical spells". Then, in the normal character, remove everything lost. This is the new version of the character, plain and simple. Should you ever get back your clerical abilities, you simply open both characters and, on the old character, right-click on your missing abilities and select "Duplicate to Other Character". This way the renamed character sheet serves as an archive repository for what you had and you can copy it all back any time you want. In the meantime, however, the lost items don't clutter up your character sheet and incite confusion over what does or does not apply.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Angel Darkover has some very good points there.