Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Detect that lets you see your target?

I'm starting a supers game, and one of my players wants the ability to see supers, even if they're invisible or in darkness. He already has Detect (Powers) with Precise, so a successful Sense roll will allow him to know exactly what hex his target is in. Would there be a reasonable price for an enhancement along those lines on Detect? Alternatively, what would be reasonable limitation values for thinks like See Invisible, Dark Vision, etc. only applying to targets of his Detect?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Detect that lets you see your target?

I'd stick with Detect, See Invisible (Supers) is probably more points given he already has the Detect.
I target such things towards Special Effect (light bending powers) or Source (Mutants) rather than a broad category such as Supers unless all Supers are the same in the setting.
Precise allows a ranged attack, maybe round out with Discriminatory or Profiling for more details.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #3
Anthony

Precise (from Powers: Enhanced Senses) will allow targeting with your detect.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:58 PM   #4
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I'd stick with Detect, See Invisible (Supers) is probably more points given he already has the Detect.
I target such things towards Special Effect (light bending powers) or Source (Mutants) rather than a broad category such as Supers unless all Supers are the same in the setting.
Precise allows a ranged attack, maybe round out with Discriminatory or Profiling for more details.
Well, his powers are specifically related to the Super power modifier which in this setting comes from exposure to a certain type of radiation. Super normals and people who use technological aids aren't affected.
Is there a place that says Discriminatory or Profiling can be used for Detect and what they mean in that case?
Old 09-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Well, his powers are specifically related to the Super power modifier which in this setting comes from exposure to a certain type of radiation. Super normals and people who use technological aids aren't affected.
Is there a place that says Discriminatory or Profiling can be used for Detect and what they mean in that case?
GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses is the definitive work on senses, though you have to really read it to pick up all the references and nuggets. I'd have liked a table or appendix to summarize the modifiers and how they apply.
Page 8 is the best effort at this and covers this.
Profiling is +50% (Powers,p. 47) and page 6 in Enhanced Senses indicates Analyzing is equivalent to Discriminatory.

And yeah if everyone has the same source this works. Typical comics have multiple sources in the setting.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:17 AM   #6
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses is the definitive work on senses, though you have to really read it to pick up all the references and nuggets. I'd have liked a table or appendix to summarize the modifiers and how they apply.
Page 8 is the best effort at this and covers this.
Profiling is +50% (Powers,p. 47) and page 6 in Enhanced Senses indicates Analyzing is equivalent to Discriminatory.

And yeah if everyone has the same source this works. Typical comics have multiple sources in the setting.
So would it be your interpretation that Analyzing (which he already has) would allow you to attack an invisible/darkness-shrouded target at no penalty?

As a related question, if it does work that way, would it function as 360 Vision for the sole purpose of attacking and defending against supers?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
So would it be your interpretation that Analyzing (which he already has) would allow you to attack an invisible/darkness-shrouded target at no penalty?
No, it lets you target them in the same way as you could target someone by hearing. ES seems to permit attacking if you use the Precise enhancement.
Quote:
As a related question, if it does work that way, would it function as 360 Vision for the sole purpose of attacking and defending against supers?
It doesn't, but if you add Precise it apparently would.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
I'm starting a supers game, and one of my players wants the ability to see supers, even if they're invisible or in darkness. He already has Detect (Powers) with Precise, so a successful Sense roll will allow him to know exactly what hex his target is in. Would there be a reasonable price for an enhancement along those lines on Detect? Alternatively, what would be reasonable limitation values for thinks like See Invisible, Dark Vision, etc. only applying to targets of his Detect?
Detect: Powered People (Precise +100%) [¿20?]
With a turn of concentration and a successful detect-sense roll you can sense and target Powered people, even if you have absolutely no other way to sense them, whether due to cover, darkness or invisibility. However you will need a successful analysis roll to tell who is who between different Powered People you can't otherwise sense, which mean you could end up attacking an ally with friendly fire!

Detect: Powered People (Analyzing +100%; Precise +100%) [¿30?]
With a turn of concentration and a successful detect-sense roll you can sense and target Powered people, even if you have absolutely no other way to sense them, whether due to cover, darkness or invisibility. Thanks to Analyzing there's no risk of friendly fire.

Detect: Powered People (Analyzing +100%; Precise +100%; Reflexive +40%) [¿34?]
With a successful detect-sense roll you can sense and target Powered people, even if you have absolutely no other way to sense them, whether due to cover, darkness or invisibility. Thanks to Analyzing there's no risk of friendly fire. You don't need to concentrate.

Detect: Powered People (Analyzing, +100%; Cosmic: No Dice Roll Required, +100%; Precise, +100%; Reflexive, +40%) [¿44?]
You are automatically aware of all Powered people within range (Effective skill - range penalties must 3+ ), even if you have absolutely no other way to sense them, whether due to cover, darkness or invisibility. Thanks to Analyzing there's no risk of friendly fire. You don't need to concentrate.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
Toptomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
With a successful detect-sense roll you can sense and target Powered people, even if you have absolutely no other way to sense them, whether due to cover, darkness or invisibility. Thanks to Analyzing there's no risk of friendly fire. You don't need to concentrate.

Detect: Powered People (Analyzing, +100%; Cosmic: No Dice Roll Required, +100%; Precise, +100%; Reflexive, +40%) [¿44?]
You are automatically aware of all Powered people within range (Effective skill - range penalties must 3+ ), even if you have absolutely no other way to sense them, whether due to cover, darkness or invisibility. Thanks to Analyzing there's no risk of friendly fire. You don't need to concentrate.
And these people can be 'sensed and targeted' for *all* purposes as if they were being seen? For instance, would either of these two constructions permit an unpenalized defense against a melee attack by a powered person in a side or rear hex?
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Detect: Powered People (Precise +100%) [¿20?]
With a turn of concentration and a successful detect-sense roll you can sense and target Powered people, even if you have absolutely no other way to sense them, whether due to cover, darkness or invisibility. However you will need a successful analysis roll to tell who is who between different Powered People you can't otherwise sense, which mean you could end up attacking an ally with friendly fire!

Detect: Powered People (Analyzing +100%; Precise +100%) [¿30?]
With a turn of concentration and a successful detect-sense roll you can sense and target Powered people, even if you have absolutely no other way to sense them, whether due to cover, darkness or invisibility. Thanks to Analyzing there's no risk of friendly fire.

The question isn't about detecting and targeting, it's about being able to ignore the normal penalties for attacks and defenses against someone who you know the exact hex location of, but can't see.