Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2019, 10:59 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: The Utility of High Combat Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
I've found high levels of combat skills to be worthwhile in games where combat is important...
If there is going to be any combat in the game and your Character is meant to be the combat facing character, then raising your combat skills to high levels is always important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerd View Post
With that said, spending more than half your points on combat traits is likely poor design and over three quarters or more is flawed; unless your character and the game are warriors with no other purpose in a specialized setting.
I disagree. In a 250 point cyberpunk game I spent right about 60 points on non-combat Skills and Attributes and feel just fine. I can handle the few social tasks I need to handle (Intimidation, Interrogation, Savoir-Faire (Military), Streetwise), the handful of mechanical tasks (Armoury, First Aid, Machinist, Mechanic), and the stealthiness/spottiness (Camouflage, Holdout, Observation, Shadowing, Stealth). And with an IQ 12 (and thus Per 12) he's no real slouch (all those skills are at 12).

But then the other Characters are all Face/Techies... so someone has to rule the combat spotlight (most of the techies can hold out their end, but really all three are about equal to my Character alone in combat) while they have all the other stuff locked down well.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote